Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alfie Doughty extends contract to 2021

edited February 2020 in General Charlton

Comments

• Great that he's signed something but strange only one year no?

ESI still seem to be waiting for that cheque to clear.

That's still 2 years away, not like he can walk next summer 

Maybe there is an option for another year?

Maybe his evil agent suggested that a two year deal was in Alfie's interest.
  • Great news , good way to start the day. Definitely one for the future there and the here and now come to think of it.
  • I've watched him on a number of occasions now and early signs for me are he's going to be something special.
    I would have nailed him down for years to come.
  • Good news but contracts mean nothing these days... 
  • Good all round, at least if he pushes on next season and refuses to sign another deal we have plenty of time to sell him. Plus at his age, is there not a rule that if you offer a deal and he walks away.. you get compo ? 
    It means you get money if he wants to leave 
  • Before anyone laughs, the way he uses his pace to beat his man reminds me of Bale. I don't think he is a left back though he's better further up the pitch 
  • Sponsored links:

• Excellent 
  • edited February 2020
    Good news but contracts mean nothing these days... 
    Even more reason to not worry about the length of the deal

Way I look at it is you hope that shit players dont get a long contract so we can get rid - We dont get good players out of contract so we lose them
     You still have to shell out to break someone from one though don't you??
  • So seems we have triggered a year extension in existin*contract rather than Alfie agreeing a new one
  • edited February 2020
    Contracts being offered and agreed has gotta be another step in the right direction hasn't it?
  • Its just a standard 1 years triggered extension that was already in his previous contract - sounds like we will be sitting down to thrash out a brand new long term contract, however triggering the additional year just gives us that extra bit of cover just in case.

Maybe there is an option for another year?

Maybe his evil agent suggested that a two year deal was in Alfie's interest.
    this. there are already clubs sniffing around so it makes sense from his point of view.
  • Sponsored links:

• Contracts being offered and agreed has gotta be another step in the right direction hasn't it?

except it now appears that that isn't what has happened, just an extension triggered in his existing contract.
  • I remember one Parker S signing a 5 year contract. The following January he was gone despite a director saying on the wireless that he wasn't leaving!

I'm pleased that in theory we have Alfie for 2 years but won't be holding my breath.
  • Sorry to buck the trend but I actually find this a little worrying. It is put out there as a good news story but it is simply an extension that was already in his contract. Great that it’s happened for all concerned but am I alone in thinking that a true statement of intent from ESI would be a new seriously enhanced three year deal for our most promising youngster who has already been eyed up by others?  
  • Sorry to buck the trend but I actually find this a little worrying. It is put out there as a good news story but it is simply an extension that was already in his contract. Great that it’s happened for all concerned but am I alone in thinking that a true statement of intent from ESI would be a new seriously enhanced three year deal for our most promising youngster who has already been eyed up by others?  
    The extension is an automatic process, so nothing to do with ESI
  • Contracts being offered and agreed has gotta be another step in the right direction hasn't it?

except it now appears that that isn't what has happened, just an extension triggered in his existing contract.
    Okay mate, in that case it's terrible then
  • LenGlover said:
    I remember one Parker S signing a 5 year contract. The following January he was gone despite a director saying on the wireless that he wasn't leaving!

I'm pleased that in theory we have Alfie for 2 years but won't be holding my breath.
    Under contract means a decent transfer fee though, not leaving for a measly development fee, that's the big difference
    If we get relegated and he refuses to sign a new deal this means we can get a bigger fee for him rather than compensation if he leaves in summer 2021.

I’ll be much more worried we stay up and we go through the summer without him (and other good or promising young players) signing long term deals.

He’s not become a regular yet, I think we’ll probably get him on a longer contract at some point.
  • clive said:
    The club remain in negotiations with Doughty and his representatives over a further extension to his contract.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5e4fac730afc2/charlton-trigger-option-to-extend-alfie-doughtys-contract-to-2021
    I'm confused now, do we boo or cheer ESI ? It changes minute to minute. 
  • clive said:
    The club remain in negotiations with Doughty and his representatives over a further extension to his contract.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5e4fac730afc2/charlton-trigger-option-to-extend-alfie-doughtys-contract-to-2021
    Only 2021 then, not 2022 as Cawley’s article states. Definitely need to get him signed up this summer then.