Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Questions from last night's CACT quiz

edited February 2020 in General Charlton
No googling

1.       Charlton first moved to the Valley in which year?                              

2.       Since moving to the Valley Charlton have temporarily played home

games at three other grounds. Name them.

3.       The record attendance at the Valley was set v Aston Villa in 1938. What was crowd that day?

4.       In 1974 and 1976 which rock band headlined concerts at the Valley?

5.       In September 1985 Charlton fans were handed a “Message to our supporters” informing them that

The club was moving to Selhurst Park. Who were Charlton’s opponents that day?

6.       On 1 October 1938 the current Prime Minister Neville Chamberlin attend a game at the Valley against Birmingham City.

Special prayers were said and Land of Hope and Glory sung to mark which very recent event?

7.       Colin Walsh famously scored the first goal “back at the Valley” in 1992 but who scored Charlton’s next Valley goal?

8.       Charlton’s first game in the Premier League at the Valley in 1998 was against which opponents?

9.       The Valley was often full during the premier league era. What was the maximum capacity?

10.   What name was given to the away end at the Valley in 1981?

Comments

• May I be the first to say that the triumphant CAST team scored 10 out of 10 on this round?
  • Pico said:
    May I be the first to say that the triumphant CAST team scored 10 out of 10 on this round?
    Well done but so you should : - )
  • Is Neville Chamberlain the current Prime Minister?

What happened to Boris?
  • Addickted said:
    Is Neville Chamberlain the current Prime Minister?

What happened to Boris?
    in 1938, old boy.

Be careful, they ask patients "Who is the prime minister?" to check for dementia
  • So the sitting Prime Minister then, not the current.

Who had the questions paper in their hand?
  • Addickted said:
    So the sitting Prime Minister then, not the current.

Steve Sutherland was the quizmaster
  • edited February 2020
    Addickted said:
    So the sitting Prime Minister then, not the current.

Steve Sutherland was the quizmaster

• 1. 1920
    2. The Mount, Selhurst Park, Upton Park
    3. 78,031
    4. The Who
    5. Crystal Palace
    6. "I have in my hand a piece of paper" - not sure of the official name but when he met Hitler in Munich - thinking out loud Munich Accord?
    7. Carl Leaburn
    8. Southampton was the first at home, but I think it may have been an away. Blackburn?
    9. 27,111
    10. The Jimmy Seed Stand
  • Edit 3. 75,031
  • 1. 1919
    2. Shithurst, The Boleyn Ground, and Mountsfield Park
    3. 76,407 or something?
    4. The Who
    5. Stoke?
    6. "Peace in our time"
    7. Darren Pitcher? No idea
    8. Southampton (5-0 right?)
    9. 27,111 (and it still IS the capacity)
    10. The Jimmy Seed Stand
  • Sponsored links:

• 2. Thamesmead Town FC; The Oakwood, Crayford; Sparrows Lane
  • 8.       Charlton’s first game in the Premier League at the Valley in 1998 was against which opponents?

0-0 away to Newcastle. Rufus red-carded for an elbow on someone whilst waiting for a corner to be taken.
  • 7.       Colin Walsh famously scored the first goal “back at the Valley” in 1992 but who scored Charlton’s next Valley goal?

Against either Oxford or West Ham I think, can't recall the scorer though.

• What Stig said, other than

7. John Bumstead

• 1.       Charlton first moved to the Valley in which year?                      1919        

2.       Since moving to the Valley Charlton have temporarily played home

games at three other grounds. Name them.

THE MOUNT

SELHURST

UPTON PARK

3.       The record attendance at the Valley was set v Aston Villa in 1938. What was crowd that day? 75031

4.       In 1974 and 1976 which rock band headlined concerts at the Valley? THE WHO

5.       In September 1985 Charlton fans were handed a “Message to our supporters” informing them that

The club was moving to Selhurst Park. Who were Charlton’s opponents that day? PALACE

6.       On 1 October 1938 the current Prime Minister Neville Chamberlin attend a game at the Valley against Birmingham City.

Special prayers were said and Land of Hope and Glory sung to mark which very recent event? MUNICH AGREEMENT

7.       Colin Walsh famously scored the first goal “back at the Valley” in 1992 but who scored Charlton’s next Valley goal? JOHN BUMSTEAD V OXFORD

8.       Charlton’s first game in the Premier League at the Valley in 1998 was against which opponents? SOUTHAMPTON

9.       The Valley was often full during the premier league era. What was the maximum capacity? 27111

10.   What name was given to the away end at the Valley in 1981? JIMMY SEED STAND

• MrLargo said:
    8.       Charlton’s first game in the Premier League at the Valley in 1998 was against which opponents?

0-0 away to Newcastle. Rufus red-carded for an elbow on someone whilst waiting for a corner to be taken.
    Hmmmm ;)
  • Addickted said:
    Is Neville Chamberlain the current Prime Minister?

What happened to Boris?
    in 1938, old boy.

Be careful, they ask patients "Who is the prime minister?" to check for dementia
    If it had said "then current" perhaps you could get away with it, but written the way it was says that the person who is now PM did something in 1938.
  • MrLargo said:

Hmmmm ;)
    Schoolboy error, not reading the question properly!

5-0 vs Saints, Mendonca (3), Redfearn and......Robinson? Bloody good day that was anyway!
  • edited February 2020
    MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:

Hmmmm ;)

5-0 vs Saints, Mendonca (3), Redfearn and......Robinson? Bloody good day that was anyway!
    Remember walking away thinking "Premiership? Piece of piss..."
  • 10 out of 10 for me as I expected
  • Sponsored links:

• Did anyone do the online CACT quiz last night?
  • Fumbluff said:
    Did anyone do the online CACT quiz last night?
    I did and 30 others, came 10th
  • MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:

Hmmmm ;)

Pretty much the opposite type of hattrick in terms of difficulty compared to Wembley that day, all against David Howells! 
  • Fumbluff said:
    Smashed you, came 6th and missed the first couple of questions explaining social distancing to the pizza driver. I guess there was a southern bias to the quiz though so not surprising it was easier for us lot...
  • Fumbluff said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Smashed you, came 6th and missed the first couple of questions explaining social distancing to the pizza driver. I guess there was a southern bias to the quiz though so not surprising it was easier for us lot...
    Yeah I embarrassed myself, was far too London centric for me
  • Seems like everyone's getting into the quiz business now............

https://www.castrust.org/2020/03/the-cast-weekly-lock-down-quiz/