Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Barcelona Allowed to Sign Player Outside Transfer Window

Read this on Sky Sports:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11937078/barcelona-want-ex

Now all though it doesn't affect anything should they sign a free agent, nor allowed to play in any other competitions. Imagine allowing this in England? A massive club has some injuries and therefore, rather than promote from the one of the most prestigious academies in the world, applying for a ruling specifically allowing a poach from a struggling side in the same league!!

Keeper emergency loans are one thing, but i would be spitting feathers if WBA were allowed to come and pull our pants down for Lyle.

Comments

• F-ing amazing! Not even an attempt to pretend there's no big club bias. 
  • Read this on Sky Sports:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11937078/barcelona-want-ex

Now all though it doesn't affect anything should they sign a free agent, nor allowed to play in any other competitions. Imagine allowing this in England? A massive club has some injuries and therefore, rather than promote from the one of the most prestigious academies in the world, applying for a ruling specifically allowing a poach from a struggling side in the same league!!

Keeper emergency loans are one thing, but i would be spitting feathers if WBA were allowed to come and pull our pants down for Lyle.
    As I said on the premier league thread this is not about them being a big club this is a La Liga rule.

All the clubs agreed to it years ago and its always been there.

Did they know 2 weeks ago when they window was open that Dembele was going to need surgery and be out for 6 months-No

They have used a rule which means Dembele is being unregistered and they can now sign a replacement from La Liga or the 2nd division.

As I said all the spanish clubs agreed to this rule so its not like its Barcelona being given special permission because they are Barcelona.
  • There's not though. If Leganes or Mallorca were in the same boat they'd be allowed to do the same. It's a La Liga rule that all clubs are aware of before the start of the season.
  • Was reading this the other day

La Liga has a rule that if a player is out for 5 months or more, they can be replaced outside of the window by another la Liga player or any free agent. Believe the injured party cannot play before the 5 months is up, so no sudden miracle recovery

This is a rule for all La Liga clubs

• MrOneLung said:
    Was reading this the other day

La Liga has a rule that if a player is out for 5 months or more, they can be replaced outside of the window by another la Liga player or any free agent. Believe the injured party cannot play before the 5 months is up, so no sudden miracle recovery

Given our injury record, would be ideal if we could have done this.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Was reading this the other day

Given our injury record, would be ideal if we could have done this.
    None of our players have been out for that long this season, other than Page i suppose haha
    BUT THERE IS NOT.

IT IS A RULE FOR EVERY SPANISH CLUB FFS
    WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING? 
  • Old La Liga rule so no big club bias BUT it still stinks

Barca seem to be targeting Braithwaite from Leganes. He has a 20m buyout in his contract and he’s their top scorer.
    imagine you’re in a relegation fight and you lose your top scorer and aren’t allowed to even try and replace him.

Leganes could be relegated directly due to this rule.
  • I'm surprised that the Spanish are allowed by UEFA to have this (seemingly) exclusive privilege .. The Premier League and EFL should include this 'rule' in their transfer policies A S A P  
  • Sponsored links:

• This is very unfair on Leganes (should it be Braithwaite) as they won't be allowed to sign a replacement - otherwise the cycle would continue in perpetuity pretty much. I'm unaware of any precedent in La Liga, so this smacks of unfairness, but the clubs know the rules and here we are.
  • edited February 2020
    I'm surprised that the Spanish are allowed by UEFA to have this (seemingly) exclusive privilege .. The Premier League and EFL should include this 'rule' in their transfer policies A S A P  
    There's also a rule in France, or at least was where they can sign 1 player domestically. Don't even think they need to have an injury for this.

Every league has it's own rules, it's not UEFA's to control. Some European windows are still open, the whole 'European transfer window' is a myth. They all open at different times, close at different times and have different rules out of the window.

Unless there is one rule for all people will decide x rule is unfair.
  • need a higher buy out clause then.
  • I'm surprised that the Spanish are allowed by UEFA to have this (seemingly) exclusive privilege .. The Premier League and EFL should include this 'rule' in their transfer policies A S A P  
    The thing is I dont see Championship clubs agreeing to it.

Imagine now, Son being out and Spurs coming in £20M or £30M for Ollie Watkins and Brentford missing out on promotion because of it.

• Why did the Spanish clubs agree to it then?
  • edited February 2020
    It might apply to all La Liga clubs but it’s incredibly poorly thought out. In the long term, it will only benefit the biggest teams as they will never be in danger of losing a player to this rule.

Not sure why Barcelona can’t just promote their own Josh Davison. Imagine if we could’ve used our injury crisis to buy Cauley Woodrow...

Barca seem to be targeting Braithwaite from Leganes. He has a 20m buyout in his contract and he’s their top scorer.
    imagine you’re in a relegation fight and you lose your top scorer and aren’t allowed to even try and replace him.

But only if they take the money and sell the player - they're not obliged to, are they?
  • edited February 2020
    Old La Liga rule so no big club bias BUT it still stinks

But only if they take the money and sell the player - they're not obliged to, are they?
    La Liga requires all players to have a buyout clause in their contract so if Barcelona trigger the clause, Leganes have no choice.
    The thing is I dont see Championship clubs agreeing to it.

Imagine now, Son being out and Spurs coming in £20M or £30M for Ollie Watkins and Brentford missing out on promotion because of it.

if Watkins were under contract then Brentford could refuse to sell

Yes. They are.

All players in La Liga have a buyout clause. As long as that price is matched the selling club have no choice.

Thats why you see players linked to the Premier League and the papers mention “so and so has a buyout clause of 140m” even if the fee is wildly over what the player is worth.
    it doesn’t mean they have to pay that, but if they did the seller cannot refuse it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seems to give La Liga clubs an unfair advantage in the Champions League. 
  • edited February 2020
    Players signed under this rule cannot play in UEFA competitions, only domestic. Until the next transfer window. Although at a stretch I suppose it could help with rest and rotation of Messi and Griezmann.
  • Players signed under this rule cannot play in UEFA competitions, only domestic. Until the next transfer window. Although at a stretch I suppose it could help with rest and rotation of Messi and Griezmann.
    There's certainly an indirect benefit for Barca in the Champions League because of this rule. And it's incredibly harsh on Leganes. But the league rules are the league rules.

I suppose when the smaller clubs voted for these rules, they felt it would benefit them because given their relatively weaker squads a handful of injuries could be detrimental to their success, and La Liga status, but it seems there is a certain naivety of their part to not realise bigger clubs may poach their best players outside of the window without them being able to bring in a replacement. I suppose they believe the top teams, with upwards of 25 exceptional footballers, would never need to worry about squad depth issues.

If it goes through it'll be interesting to follow Braithwaite. There's a fear he could go there and play for 4 months, and then never feature in a Barca shirt again. Alternatively he could see this is as a huge opportunity that he would've otherwise never had. I suppose if Barca come knocking, you take the risk.
  • Probably not many Boro fans thinking he'd end up at Barca. 
  • Players signed under this rule cannot play in UEFA competitions, only domestic. Until the next transfer window. Although at a stretch I suppose it could help with rest and rotation of Messi and Griezmann.
    There's certainly an indirect benefit for Barca in the Champions League because of this rule. And it's incredibly harsh on Leganes. But the league rules are the league rules.

I suppose when the smaller clubs voted for these rules, they felt it would benefit them because given their relatively weaker squads a handful of injuries could be detrimental to their success, and La Liga status, but it seems there is a certain naivety of their part to not realise bigger clubs may poach their best players outside of the window without them being able to bring in a replacement. I suppose they believe the top teams, with upwards of 25 exceptional footballers, would never need to worry about squad depth issues.

If it goes through it'll be interesting to follow Braithwaite. There's a fear he could go there and play for 4 months, and then never feature in a Barca shirt again. Alternatively he could see this is as a huge opportunity that he would've otherwise never had. I suppose if Barca come knocking, you take the risk.
    Would Barca be able to register them for the CL?

Would Barca be able to register them for the CL?
    No Champions League registration ended on 3rd February 
  • edited February 2020
    Players signed under this rule cannot play in UEFA competitions, only domestic. Until the next transfer window. Although at a stretch I suppose it could help with rest and rotation of Messi and Griezmann.
    They are 1 point behind Madrid they wont rest Messi or Griezmann for a league game because they have Braithwaite lol, they will need Messi and Griezmann on top form in all remaining La Liga and Champions League games and hope Fati and whoever comes in can chip in with some goals
  • The rule seems a good idea to benefit the smaller clubs but like anything in football, the bigger clubs are the ones that do. Having said that, as it is a local thing, I can't see it is a big deal.
  • The most surprising thing about this isn't the ruling (as La Liga clubs voted for it), or the fact they want Braithwaite (his record is half decent this season), but for me it's the fact that Barca don't have a decent 18/19/20 year old who can step in for 2-3 months.

One of the most famous academies in the world and their B team play mens football (currently 4th in the Spanish 3rd tier), but they don't have a kid who can step up? Ansu Fati came out of the academy earlier this season and there must be someone else.

Instead they want to spend 20m on Braithwaite who will no doubt be unwanted once Suarez and Dembele return.
    BUT THERE IS NOT.

IT IS A RULE FOR EVERY SPANISH CLUB FFS
    Why do I find this so funny?