Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - today's programme

Interesting article. Doesn't like football at all.  Never been a 'fan'. Can't imagine what it's like to be a fan. His sole motivation until he was 25 was showing the person who released him as a kid from Millwall that he was wrong. Admits he hated that person. Once that person told him at 25 that he'd done well that motivation went. Now motivated by scoring goals. Only way he'll stay in football is as a dedicated 'striker' coach. Loves Bowyer. 

Comments

• We had a kid at school who was the same, never watched it, didn’t support a team and couldn’t tell you any players names. Never joined in a break or lunch time. He did Play for the school team because he knew away games would get us out of school for the afternoon. He would just wonder around the pitch, do nothing for 10 mins, and then when he felt like it, he could pick the ball up, beat 4 or 5 players and score. He ended up signing schoolboy terms with Charlton, can’t remember if he got a pro contract, but never made it because of his dislike for training. He ended up at Welling and then jacked it in when he was about 21. 
  • He's got something about him and would be successful at whatever he did/ does after the game.

Yup, I’m sure that’s true. 
  • He's got something about him and would be successful at whatever he did/ does after the game.

His lack of love for the game will surely help him when its time to pack it in - Certainly wont be like Gazza etc. who just cant cope when its time to stop
  • We had a kid at school who didn't have a team or favourite player. She could play for toffee either
  • Imagine that, doing a job you don't particularly like because it pays good money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lyle doesn't really like football? I'm with him on that one today.
  • Off_it said:
    Imagine that, doing a job you don't particularly like because it pays good money.
    As opposed to doing a job I don't like and being paid peanuts?
  • Bullied by the Blackburn defenders today. Made some of his comments look very silly
  • Off_it said:
    Imagine that, doing a job you don't particularly like because it pays good money.
    Like 99% of the population 
  • Off_it said:
    A bit like me and insurance.  Still a bit annoying to hear it but I thought it was refreshingly honest interview compared to the usual PR blah you get.
  • shine166 said:
    Off_it said:
    You cracked his code! 
  • shine166 said:
    Off_it said:
    I think the 99% do a job they don't like, just to scrape by
  • Come on Lyle all that hatred for millwall,  just beat the scum ffs perleeeeease 
  • I had this very conversation with him a year ago at a golf day. Really surprised me to be honest. His main motivation now is scoring different types of goals!

he really is quite an unusual guy! In a good way obvs
  • Sponsored links:

• Said similar at Bromley last season
  • Was he captain after Pearce went off?

May not like the game but works harder than most at it
  • He does strike me as quite a complex character. 

Football in its nature is an emotional sport, and he clearly enjoys elements of that (he enjoys attention from his own fans, enjoys winding up opposition etc).

I've also seen him say in another interview before that he doesn't really consider himself a fan. Doesn't watch games on TV or anything like that. Whilst he may not be a fan, he obviously cares immensely about it - there is no way you can be as good or as dedicated as he is without hard work. 

I think its actually more common among footballers than some may realise. I imagine a lot of players will see football very differently from the rest of us considering the stresses and feelings that may come with it if its your job.
  • I remember him saying it at Bromley last year. But I don’t believe it. I have him on instagram and he’s always liking various football related posts, and he’s often discussed VAR. To me, it points towards being a football fan. Mind you, I can’t see why he’d lie about not liking football so who knows
  • I think he likes playing football but not the rest of the stuff around the game. 
  • I think he likes playing football but not the rest of the stuff around the game. 
    I'd say that is true of many players but equally there are many that just live the attention and celebrity status that comes with it. 

I think it's also an interesting debate to have about fans. I'm sure if you asked all of us what we love about football there'd be many different answers. I know there are those who have no interest in anything but Charlton, they love the social side of things; meeting up with friends and family, I guess the community aspect of it. There are some who don't support a team but love the game and will watch any match from anywhere in the world. 

A simple question that has many complex answers. I guess we're all different and like different things. 
  • Chizz said:
    We had a kid at school who was the same, never watched it, didn’t support a team and couldn’t tell you any players names. Never joined in a break or lunch time. He did Play for the school team because he knew away games would get us out of school for the afternoon. He would just wonder around the pitch, do nothing for 10 mins, and then when he felt like it, he could pick the ball up, beat 4 or 5 players and score. He ended up signing schoolboy terms with Charlton, can’t remember if he got a pro contract, but never made it because of his dislike for training. He ended up at Welling and then jacked it in when he was about 21. 
    We had a kid like that at school.  He never watched football - live or on TV.  He didn't support a team.  Couldn't name any famous footballers from any country, even England.  He never payed football with us during breaks.  If a ball ever bounced towards him when he was walking past people playing, he'd either ignore it, or pick it up and throw it back.  He'd never kick it.  He never used to talk about football and was always completely disinterested in it.  

Then, one day, an amazing thing happened.  We persuaded him to join us in a game during break.  He was fucking useless. 

• Can someone put the article up 
  • If he doesn't like football he should have enjoyed our performance yesterday!