Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

OMD concert in Copenhagen

I’ve been asked by a mate if I fancy seeing OMD in Copenhagen this February and I was wondering if any of you lifers had seen them live recently and, if so, are they any good? 

I know a fair few OMD songs even though I was a little young at the peak of their career.

Any feedback would be most welcome!

Comments

• edited November 2019
    Just my opinion, but I would say Andy McCluskey's voice is pretty poor these days.
    I quite liked them back in the day, but their music seems dated now.
  • I saw them in London, not the last tour but the one before, I thought much the same quality as when I saw them back in the 80s, although mixing in their more recent material with the classics.

Didn't go to the last tour because the tickets were getting silly prices - love the band but not £35 worth...

Andy McC still does the sad dancing with his shirt hanging out.  And the fans from the 80s seem to have all grown up to be either rugby players or accountants.
  • They have just done a major US tour supporting B52s.
  • Caught them in Barcelona two weeks ago and they were great. The sound is better than the eighties as technology moves on, McCluskey is a great frontman, and it's a genuinely good night out. Don't think twice. There are a lot of songs from their more commercial mid eighties period, but you may get Stanlow and Almost. 
  • They are fantastic. Go for it .
  • Caught them in Barcelona two weeks ago and they were great. The sound is better than the eighties as technology moves on, McCluskey is a great frontman, and it's a genuinely good night out. Don't think twice. There are a lot of songs from their more commercial mid eighties period, but you may get Stanlow and Almost. 
    The first time I've heard McCluskey described as a great frontman :smile:
  • Did some great songs........

Live & Die
    Talking loud & clear.
    Before you leave (featured in 'Pretty in Pink')
    Maid of Orleans 
  • I’ve been asked by a mate if I fancy seeing OMD in Copenhagen this February and I was wondering if any of you lifers had seen them live recently and, if so, are they any good? 

I know a fair few OMD songs even though I was a little young at the peak of their career.

I take it they are not playing the Parken?
  • Sponsored links:

• I’ve been asked by a mate if I fancy seeing OMD in Copenhagen this February and I was wondering if any of you lifers had seen them live recently and, if so, are they any good? 

I take it they are not playing the Parken?
    Vega 
  • TeslaGirl said:
    I saw them in London, not the last tour but the one before, I thought much the same quality as when I saw them back in the 80s, although mixing in their more recent material with the classics.

Didn't go to the last tour because the tickets were getting silly prices - love the band but not £35 worth...

Andy McC still does the sad dancing with his shirt hanging out.  And the fans from the 80s seem to have all grown up to be either rugby players or accountants.
    That's even cheaper than the cheapest seat at a usual gig in China....
  • Possibly, but most of the bands I go to are more around the £20 mark, so I judge from there.

You can tell from my username that I'm a fan, so, yes, I would recommend going, and for me, I go to fewer gigs these days so perhaps I'll go next tour and pretend I'm going to 2 events.
  • Thanks everyone. I confirmed to my mate today that I will come along to the concert with him. 
  • My favourite band!  See them numerous times in the 80s and more recently at rewind festival 
  • go for it , you wont regret it , they put on a great show, im going twice this month , ticket prices are in line with most bands nowadays 
  • Not my cup tea although I did buy Souvenir back in 1982? Copenhagen is great though so I would go. Take plenty of money as very expensive!!
  • could never understand what they were singing
  • Already planning a trip to see them in Madrid next time they come round. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2020
    Saw them last night and they were absolutely brilliant! McCluskey was on top form and the audience loved it. So glad I went.
  • Just my opinion, but I would say Andy McCluskey's voice is pretty poor these days.
    I quite liked them back in the day, but their music seems dated now.
    Nothing wrong with his voice mate I assure you
  • Saw them last night and they were absolutely brilliant! McClusky was on top form and the audience loved it. So glad I went.
    I Done Guildford and Hammersmith last year , great atmosphere and as you said McClusky was in great form , never been to a duff gig of theirs . 
  • fadgadget said:
    Saw them last night and they were absolutely brilliant! McClusky was on top form and the audience loved it. So glad I went.
    I Done Guildford and Hammersmith last year , great atmosphere and as you said McClusky was in great form , never been to a duff gig of theirs . 
    You introduced me to 'Mesh', mate. Just wondered if you've listened to any of 'The Slow Readers Club' stuff?
  • fadgadget said:
    Saw them last night and they were absolutely brilliant! McClusky was on top form and the audience loved it. So glad I went.
    You introduced me to 'Mesh', mate. Just wondered if you've listened to any of 'The Slow Readers Club' stuff?
    I Have a friend of a friend who keeps on about these , i haven't had a listen yet but i will have a look , 
    I have another recommendation for you , they are called Sinestar and are from Bristol , they have done 3 albums all very good , but unfortunately are disbanding this year 
       https://youtu.be/9KwC8UAZpXQ
  • edited February 2020
    fadgadget said:
    fadgadget said:
    I Have a friend of a friend who keeps on about these , i haven't had a listen yet but i will have a look , 
    I have another recommendation for you , they are called Sinestar and are from Bristol , they have done 3 albums all very good , but unfortunately are disbanding this year 

https://youtu.be/MPEZzucLv5g