Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Can you recall CAFC games played in a storm?

edited February 2020 in General Charlton
I remember the home game v Forest in the late 90's was pretty stormy.
I remember feeling so sorry for the disabled fans in front of the West Stand getting absolutely drenched.
But I'm not sure it was as bad as the heavy rain and 44mph winds expected this Saturday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/br1/day2

Comments

• Hull City (0-0) a few years ago was nuts

Dont think it was a storm as such but the rain was as biblical as it was at Yeovil - Remember one of their players sliding in for a tackle in front of the East Stand and struggling to stop

I sit second row from the front, if the wind is in the wrong direction I can get soaked - Thats the one game where I've retreated to a row further back as most of the time Im happy to sit it out
  • edited February 2020
    Charlton v Leyton Orient on a Friday night in a blizzard. I am fairly sure it was only a friendly but it only lasted about 5-10 minutes as far as I recall. This was in the days when clubs used to think their players needed some practice on dead weekends where there were Cup games taking place. Nowadays, they need rest, of course.
  • Millwall away when we won.
  • I always remember going to the home game against West Ham where it was called off as my Dad & I were walking down the hill. Biblical stuff that day
  • RedPanda said:

Yeovil away – goal kick blown out for a corner and everything in my pockets being turned to mush by the rain.

That was as bad as I've seen. Thank god we decided to get tickets in the covered stand at the last moment. Reckon Sodje's goal would have been clocked at over 100mph with the wind behind it!
  • Was it actually raining during the infamous debacle v Doncaster?  I believe so.
  • Was it actually raining during the infamous debacle v Doncaster?  I believe so.
    Yeah its why it was laughable when the Doncaster players tried to clear the water from the pitch
  • Sponsored links:

• My memory is not what it was but I am sure I have watched us play in snow and ice at various times in the 60's.
    Also, that Brighton game in the 70's when some of the puddles on the pitch were like lakes.
    None of those games would be played/finished nowadays
  • edited February 2020
    RedPanda said:

Yeovil away – goal kick blown out for a corner and everything in my pockets being turned to mush by the rain.

Yep, we were at the Yeovil game, that has to be the worst ever.

Swindon A was an absolute drenching, but I don't think it was as windy.
  • 4-2  (I think) home win against West ham in our Premier League days. Rained cats and dogs that day.
  • WBA in the cup..... puddle diverted ball into the net!!

• Swindon away. Standing on that open bank in the first half I was literally a drowned rat. The wind blew so hard in the second half that by the time we left I was bone dry.

Also remember walking away from Wigan in the Premier League and there being a biblical downpour. Was seriously considering shopping for new clothes back at Manchester Piccadilly.
  • Blackpool away a few seasons back when they only had two permanent stands. Playing in a gale, Nicky Weaver kicked it out and as it reached roughly half way line in the air the wind simply sent it swirling back and set a Blackpool attack.
  • Swindon away. Standing on that open bank in the first half I was literally a drowned rat. The wind blew so hard in the second half that by the time we left I was bone dry.

Also remember walking away from Wigan in the Premier League and there being a biblical downpour. Was seriously considering shopping for new clothes back at Manchester Piccadilly.
    I think you were even considering buying a skirt. I remember us sitting there in a bar at Piccadilly watching Blackburn v Man Utd whilst waiting for the train back. Absolutely soaked to the bone. 
  • Interesting that Gary Rowett acknowledged last Sunday that he had tried to pick a side for the stormy conditions and it hadn't worked; I wonder if Bow might be having the same dilemma? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a storm but I recall a home game with Norwich where it was just too cold. I think it was a 0-0 too!
  • I remember the home game v Forest in the late 90's was pretty stormy.
    I remember feeling so sorry for the disabled fans in front of the West Stand getting absolutely drenched.
    But I'm not sure it was as bad as the heavy rain and 44mph winds expected this Saturday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/br1/day2
    That  match was the only time I can remember getting wet in the East Stand up in Row Q. Do not remember any other occurrence like that day at The Valley since.
  • Orient in the late 70’s, the game was abandoned at halftime. Much worse than any of the above. I’ve never seen puddles as wet as those on the pitch since.
  • every single time we played at Roker Park with the wind coming in off the North Sea.
  • V Wimbledon at home 98-99 season. The snow was pretty heavy and I feared our attempt to actually win a game could be cut short. 
  • I wonder if there is any chance it will be postponed...would be typical Charlton luck - what with the biggest anticipated crowd of the season!
  • Oldham away 96 ish when we wore their away kit and Brendan O'Connell scored a last minute equaliser for us.  

Rain,  wind and bloody cold.  Just a normal evening in Oldham lol 
  • edited February 2020
    Looked at BBC weather - it can change but currently showing light rain until 2pm, then heavy rain until 7pm. Winds will be around 40mph from 11am rising to 43mph at 3pm  and again rising to 51mph by 5pm. Then we will have high winds 50mph plus all evening.

I'm guessing the game will be able to start but conditions will deteriorate throughout. I know it can't be done and woukld mess some about if it could, but it is a shame the game couldn't be brought forward to 12:30 or 1pm.
  • Fulham away, mid 80s. A 0-0 draw played in hail, rain, high winds the lot. Bloody freezing.
    Swindon at home around 74 was pretty monsoon like too. 3-3 draw
  • Plymouth away (cup match 81 or possibly earlier) strong winds, not too bad until they picked up the corrigated steel sheets stacked on our terracing and one by one, they came scything across in our direction.
    That was worrying for a while.