Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Blackburn | Sat 15 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Blackburn Rovers
Saturday 15th February 2020 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Andy Davies (previous games: Wigan | Hull)

Introduction
Following a disappointing performance against Stoke last weekend; the Addicks would make the short trip across the Midlands to promotion chasing: Nottingham Forest… It was a game that very few fans expected us to win but the signs of a potential upset were clear to see, long before a ball had been kicked. Yet come the full-time whistle there was a new Sarr-iff of Nottingham in town, and just like the legendary villain, was keeping the spoils for the House of Addicks – This Saturday we play host to Blackburn Rovers, form and confidence appears to be returning, it’s time to look upwards, it’s time to be the hunters, not the hunted!!

The Opposition
Name: Blackburn Rovers (9th) | Manager: Tony Mowbray
Ground: Ewood Park
Previous Result: Blackburn Rovers 1-2 Charlton Athletic

It seems a lifetime ago when these two sides last met!! – Like a year before we’d go into the opening day of the season with our fans expecting the worst; Ben Purrington (carrying on his goal scoring from two months before) and Lyle Taylor forgot to read the script, earning a deserved 2-1 victory – The unknown Conor Gallagher would enter the fray, showing just what we could expect from his time on loan at the club!!

Blackburn huffed and puffed that day yet were a bit like Nottingham Forest the other night, it’s alright to make pretty little passes but if you don’t use the ball with intent you won’t score and Dillon Phillips had a pretty uneventful afternoon – Our opponents would then lose their next game and would have a stuttering start to a second season back in the Championship, November was when their season truly sprung into life, undefeated until the new year they’d elevate themselves to what is a mass Play-Off battle

Saturday isnt going to be easy for either team but our opponents have their own injury woes now… The question that’ll be whispered around this League is can Blackburn sustain their form without Bradley Dack for the season?

Charlton Team News
Well there was certainly despair amongst many fans when the team sheet was released on Tuesday evening, with four changes it was feared that injuries would once again dominate the talking points of the night – Instead it appears that Jonny Williams, Andre Green and Darren Pratley were rested, with more midfielders to choose from its an opportunity for Lee Bowyer to genuinely rotate without the concern of throwing inexperienced kids to the lions!!

So with an Addicks side undefeated at the Valley for two months the big question is who gets the nod… For once we saw successful results with a back three so it would be sensible for that formation to remain – As is the way with Bowyer’s rotation now you’d expect Williams to return in place of the impressive Erhun Oztumer yet Aiden McGeady (making his debut from the bench against Forest) could also be pushing for his full league debut!!

Phillips
Lockyer | Pearce | Sarr
Matthews | Cullen | Davis | Purrington
Williams
Taylor | Green

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Oshilaja | Doughty | Pratley | McGeady | Bonne | Hemed

Prediction
With Luton winning against Sheffield Wednesday last night it was perhaps the only result that didn’t go in our favour - Our own midweek win has opened a slight gap between us and the dreaded relegation zone so we can afford to relax slightly – I’ve believed for a few weeks that any points achieved away from home are a bonus, performances at home, must remain strong!!

Comments

• Bow isnt one fir keeping things the same even after a big win like we had on tuesday. He'll be looking at the opposition and working out the best way to counter them and get the best out of us.

I'm gonna keep doing an impression of Gobbinson and go 4231

Whatever happens I think we need to go at them hard. Doughty has to start, whether that be at LB or on the wing. He offers us something no one else does and in the same way that Sarr gives another option for bringing the ball out Doughty does the same.

Taylor
    McGeady Williams Green
    Cullen Pratley 
    Doughty Sarr Lockyer Matthews
    Phillips

Amos Oshi Purrington Davis Oztumer Aneke Bonne 

In reality that's probably a bit too attacking and we would probably see McGeady on the bench and Purrington in with Doughty on the wing. 

If we do go 3 at the back (maybe more likely)

Taylor Bonne
    Williams
    Cullen Davis
    Doughty Sarr Pratley Lockyer Matthews 
    Philips

Amos Oshi Purrington Smith Oztumer Aneke/Green Hemed

2-0 charlton and relatively comfortable 
  • The football for a fiver curse strikes again. 2-1 Blackburn. 
  • FYI @RedChaser kindly pointed out

When I wrote the Preview I accidentally left McGeady off the bench (despite mentioning him being in contention)

I quickly edited the preview replacing Aneke with him on the bench so if anyone is confused as to why he's not in the team its your fault for opening the preview before Id finished amending :)
  • edited February 2020
    Provided we carry on with the mindset and effort from Tuesday I can't see Blackburn scoring from open play as they've got a few injury issues with their forwards. Set pieces are likely to be their main threat. Against my better judgement I've gone for 2-0 to the Addicks in the prediction league; Taylor and Green to score.
  • Talal said:
    Bow isnt one fir keeping things the same even after a big win like we had on tuesday. He'll be looking at the opposition and working out the best way to counter them and get the best out of us.

Whatever happens I think we need to go at them hard. Doughty has to start, whether that be at LB or on the wing. He offers us something no one else does and in the same way that Sarr gives another option for bringing the ball out Doughty does the same.

Taylor
    McGeady Williams Green
    Cullen Pratley 
    Phillips

In reality that's probably a bit too attacking and we would probably see McGeady on the bench and Purrington in with Doughty on the wing. 

Taylor Bonne
    Williams
    Cullen Davis
    Philips

Canters why do you always do your line ups the wrong way round?! Looks like Phillips is up front 🙂
    He does the starting line up and sits in the covered end. Simples!
  • Sponsored links:

• 7 - 6 to Charlton. all goals attributed to storm Dennis 
  • 2-0 Charlton approaching half time (Taylor, Hemed), but high winds stop play. Match abandoned.
  • Charlton Athletic v Blackburn Rovers
    Saturday 15th February 2020 … 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Andy Davies (previous games: Wigan | Hull)

Introduction
    Following a disappointing performance against Stoke last weekend; the Addicks would make the short trip across the Midlands to promotion chasing: Nottingham Forest… It was a game that very few fans expected us to win but the signs of a potential upset were clear to see, long before a ball had been kicked. Yet come the full-time whistle there was a new Sarr-iff of Nottingham in town, and just like the legendary villain, was keeping the spoils for the House of Addicks – This Saturday we play host to Blackburn Rovers, form and confidence appears to be returning, it’s time to look upwards, it’s time to be the hunters, not the hunted!!

The Opposition
    Name: Blackburn Rovers (9th) | Manager: Tony Mowbray
    Ground: Ewood Park
    Previous Result: Blackburn Rovers 1-2 Charlton Athletic

It seems a lifetime ago when these two sides last met!! – Like a year before we’d go into the opening day of the season with our fans expecting the worst; Ben Purrington (carrying on his goal scoring from two months before) and Lyle Taylor forgot to read the script, earning a deserved 2-1 victory – The unknown Conor Gallagher would enter the fray, showing just what we could expect from his time on loan at the club!!

Blackburn huffed and puffed that day yet were a bit like Nottingham Forest the other night, it’s alright to make pretty little passes but if you don’t use the ball with intent you won’t score and Dillon Phillips had a pretty uneventful afternoon – Our opponents would then lose their next game and would have a stuttering start to a second season back in the Championship, November was when their season truly sprung into life, undefeated until the new year they’d elevate themselves to what is a mass Play-Off battle

Saturday isnt going to be easy for either team but our opponents have their own injury woes now… The question that’ll be whispered around this League is can Blackburn sustain their form without Bradley Dack for the season?

Charlton Team News
    Well there was certainly despair amongst many fans when the team sheet was released on Tuesday evening, with four changes it was feared that injuries would once again dominate the talking points of the night – Instead it appears that Jonny Williams, Andre Green and Darren Pratley were rested, with more midfielders to choose from its an opportunity for Lee Bowyer to genuinely rotate without the concern of throwing inexperienced kids to the lions!!

So with an Addicks side undefeated at the Valley for two months the big question is who gets the nod… For once we saw successful results with a back three so it would be sensible for that formation to remain – As is the way with Bowyer’s rotation now you’d expect Williams to return in place of the impressive Erhun Oztumer yet Aiden McGeady (making his debut from the bench against Forest) could also be pushing for his full league debut!!

Phillips
    Lockyer | Pearce | Sarr
    Matthews | Cullen | Davis | Purrington
    Williams
    Taylor | Green

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Oshilaja | Doughty | Pratley | McGeady | Bonne | Hemed

Prediction
    With Luton winning against Sheffield Wednesday last night it was perhaps the only result that didn’t go in our favour - Our own midweek win has opened a slight gap between us and the dreaded relegation zone so we can afford to relax slightly – I’ve believed for a few weeks that any points achieved away from home are a bonus, performances at home, must remain strong!!

Charlton 0-7 Blackburn

A wet, woeful performance in front of so many.

Really hoping the weather forecast changes for Saturday as a bit concerned my daughter won't appreciate our front row seats in the rain! 😂
  • Pretty sure the weather will mean a lot of stay aways, especially as it's only cost them £5. 
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • edited February 2020
    As long as the Wind isn't too strong, Jonny Williams will start !  He needs to get the ball on the edge of the area, and draw a foul like his mentor at Palace, Zaha. Williams being fouled on the half way line is pointless, other than if the opposition get carded.

I accept Bonne can't start alongside Taylor, but I hope he gets 20 minutes to prepare him to start against Luton.

No correlation between the Stoke match and Forest, but we must reproduce the spirit and endeavour shown in Nottingham but with even sharper finishing.

• 2-1 to Charlton if the game finishes.
  • The weather could really spoil this and make a mockery of form and ability.
    If Storm Dennis abates then I fancy us to win this with a full house behind the team. 2-0
    If not, impossible to predict

• dog chewing a wasp face a.k.a. Tony Mowbray and his men to head back north pointless .. weather pemitting

CAFC 2 v Blackburn Rovers 0
  • Great preview FA, I think Lee may well rest Davis and start Pratley though. 2-1 Charlton with Taylor and Hemed , to open his account.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thinking back to the Stoke game then the Forest one, we've had "after the shit cart comes the Lord Mayor's show".  So, the question is, do we get another shit cart or another Lord Mayor's show?
  • For once I'm going with FA's team prediction but then I know nothing about Blackburn, and care less, so I've no idea what Bowyer is having to think about.  He could easily go for a back four but I suspect it will be five.
  • I like this one from Canters; have added the potential for Green coming back.  

Taylor Bonne/Green
    Williams
    Cullen Davis
    Phillips
  • Hoping the Dartford bridge doesn't shut, or else it will be a crappy journey
  • Full squad so need to get the passers in,
    as backs to the wall selections no longer necessary. 

Phillips
    Matthews Sarr Lockyer Purrington
    Green Davis Cullen McGeady
    Williams
    Taylor

• Great preview as usual FA. 
    I like the look of your team and I think it will be close to what Bowyer picks.
    With pretty much a full sq5to pick from Bowyer must be delighted to have a selection problem. 
    It wasn't that long ago we couldn't fill the bench.
    With Lyle now fully fit and back to his best (What a goal on Tuesday) and a strong midfield to support him I fully expect a packed valley crowd to go home happy. 
    2.1 Charlton 
  • Talal said:
    Bow isnt one fir keeping things the same even after a big win like we had on tuesday. He'll be looking at the opposition and working out the best way to counter them and get the best out of us.

Taylor
    McGeady Williams Green
    Cullen Pratley 
    Phillips

Taylor Bonne
    Williams
    Cullen Davis
    Philips

Canters why do you always do your line ups the wrong way round?! Looks like Phillips is up front 🙂
    Never actually noticed that! I sit in the Covered End. Thats how the players line up in the first half with Phillips in the near goal. I also prefer it this way something psychological about being physically behind the boys pushing them on....
  • wmcf123 said:
    I like this one from Canters; have added the potential for Green coming back.  

Taylor Bonne/Green
    Williams
    Cullen Davis
    Phillips
    Agree about Green. On reflection I don't think Bonne and Taylor will both start. This will be Kyle's 3rd game in a week and he did 90 on tuesday. Don't expect him to do the 90 saturday of it can be avoided. And Bonne is just back from injury so will likely need to be eased back. 

So one of green/Hemed to start with Bonne coming off the bench for 20 mins.
  • Can see Davis being rested as he played the last two & possibly Cullen as well. Expect Williams & Green to start. Actual starting eleven impossible to call without knowing whether we go with a back four or five but expect to see us start two up front as Solly stated last week that was Bows preferred approach.
  • Williams and McGeady to share the 96 minutes as i Can't see them on the field at the same time.