Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

C4 Michael Barrymore documentary

I just caught up with this on catch up. Whilst we don't know whether Barrymore is guilty of not, there are some facts that can't be ignored as far as I can see. Firstly, a young man, Stuart Lubbock, was killed, whether intentionally or not and somebody or somebodies who were at the house that night were responsible. Secondly, the Royal Court of Justice has stated that Barrymore is 'only one of three men' who could have violently assaulted Lubbock that night. If you look at the permutations, somebody acted on their own, two people acted or three of them acted together, there is over a 50% chance that Barrymore had some involvement. Whether as a participant or an onlooker.

Then you have the softer evidence stated in the programme. The Taxi driver who reported Barrymore telling him he needed a shag, two female attendees saying they saw Barrymore rub cocaine in Lubbock's gums. Also, it was a party of 9 people in his house, big but not a mansion, and those people seem reluctant to talk suggesting something that happened is being supressed. Then you have Barrymore running away and the missing pool thermometer. Whilst Barrymore has not been found guilty of any crime, he also has not been found innocent. 

Surely for him to resume his career, he needs to be found innocent. He has tried a few times to edge his way back in but until this case is resolved that has to be impossible. It is no good him putting on a pathetic sad face and trying to resume his career. If he is innocent, he would be better off trying to find out which of the other two did it!

Comments

• In my personal opinion... The guy is guilty as sin, if he didn't do the act he would have rolled over and told on who ever did to save his own skin, he's a weasel. Its absolutely disgusting he's still walking about a free man and even more so ppl still seem to adore him... 
  • I’m not defending Barrymore but he doesn’t have to be found innocent of anything.
    He does if he is going to have a career in show business doing what he does.
  • Alright up the back?
  • I’m not defending Barrymore but he doesn’t have to be found innocent of anything.

He's 67 - his career is over whatever happens.
    Conflating two issues. 
  • There is also a court of public opinion. I certainly think at the very least he knows more than he is letting on.  
  • edited February 2020
    I don't think I have said otherwise so not sure what your point is in relation to mine. It is a scandal that potentially vital pieces of evidence have gone missing and the Police have a lot to answer for. The point I was making is that there is over a 50% chance he has at least some guilt and whilst that isn't enough to convict him, it is enough for people to feel uncomfortable about the bloke. 
  • That’s supposition. He’s guilty or not. At present he’s not. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2020
    Yes it is supposition. I think he is probably guilty as do others and you can't stop people thinking and making a judgement.
  • There is also a court of public opinion. I certainly think at the very least he knows more than he is letting on.  
    That could well be the case but at this point Barrymore is innocent and unless the police can get a court to convict him that how it will and should remain.

I think that depends on whether you look at this type of thing through the eyes of the British Justice System or reallity 

I do feel sad for the victim's family in this as from what I've seen over the years, everything has been about Barrymore and I've not personally seen a lot about Stuart Lubbocks family or the injuries he suffered before he died. Leaving aside the fact that Barrymore is involved in some way, even if it was just that it was his gaff, the actual crime was horrific

• edited February 2020
    I don't think I have said otherwise so not sure what your point is in relation to mine. It is a scandal that potentially vital pieces of evidence have gone missing and the Police have a lot to answer for. The point I was making is that there is over a 50% chance he has at least some guilt and whilst that isn't enough to convict him, it is enough for people to feel uncomfortable about the bloke. 
    I think the police already 'answered' their 'lot' in the documentary, Mut. The new SIO, admitted that they made mistakes in their initial response to the address, and that the scene was not treated in accordance with the correct codes of practice. Uncannily like the 'White House Farm' case (Jeremy Bamber - also Essex police), they attended the scene and didn't adopt an 'open minded' approach and treat it as a potential crime scene. For that reason (along with other reasons that have not been proven), evidence was undoubtedly 'lost'.

There's absolutely no doubt whatsoever that folk at that 'party' know exactly what happened! The fact that none of them were prepared to contribute to the documentary was quite telling, but, of course, not illegal.

Somebody clearly removed some incriminating evidence and material from that scene; sadly, it was never recovered (in particular, the pool thermometer that was seen in earlier photographic images of the scene).

I also wasn't aware that a couple of years after Stuart Lubbock's death, Barrymore claimed that he had new evidence, stating that Lubbock's extremely severe and violent internal injuries were caused at the hospital, after death!! It would be a disgusting claim if it wasn't so preposterous. Expert  witnesses were, of course, able to professionally refute such nonsense.

Sadly, the only way this will be solved, is if somebody who was present there that night, breaks their silence. Alas, my guess is that fear is restricting them from doing such.
  • Yes, Jeremy Bamber is another example of a useless police force. I also watched a programme on Channel four recently about the Yorkshire Ripper and it was clear that Peter Sutcliffe would have been caught much earlier were it not for police incompetence bordering on criminal.
  • MuttleyCAFC said: we
    Yes, Jeremy Bamber is another example of a useless police force. I also watched a programme on Channel four recently about the Yorkshire Ripper and it was clear that Peter Sutcliffe would have been caught much earlier were it not for police incompetence bordering on criminal.
    They interviewed Sutcliffe NINE times before they arrested him. 
  • Someone I know has met Barrymore and said he was the most arrogant and vile person she had ever met. 
  • Alright up the back?
    I remember when my Grandad was alive and i'd pop in and see him, sometimes he would be watching that Strike it Lucky. My Grandad would nearly be on the floor laughing for the whole programme. I mean propa red face and tears laughing- i used to be sitting there paranoid he was gonna keel over.
    Yes, Jeremy Bamber is another example of a useless police force. I also watched a programme on Channel four recently about the Yorkshire Ripper and it was clear that Peter Sutcliffe would have been caught much earlier were it not for police incompetence bordering on criminal.
    Unfortunately in the late 70's there wasn't to technology & IT systems that we have now. No automatic cross referencing that computers can now do. It all had to be done by hand. Watching that documentary it said they had interviews & statements going back 6 months that they were working on. Nowdays I think Peter Sutcliffe would have been caught after the  2 or 3 murder. 
  • Alright up the back?
    I remember when my Grandad was alive and i'd pop in and see him, sometimes he would be watching that Strike it Lucky. My Grandad would nearly be on the floor laughing for the whole programme. I mean propa red face and tears laughing- i used to be sitting there paranoid he was gonna keel over.
    Loved it too and gotta say MB had me in stitches 
  • Sponsored links:

• Watching the documentary I thought Barrymore didn't come out too well. So many inconsistencies & lies.......

Says he cannot swim.........ex-wife says he can.

Where is the pool thermometer. It was there the day after but disappeared once Barrymore's agent popped by to "pick up a few things". Imo it was used on Stuart Lubbock.

Also Barrymore employed probably the most famous (expensive) barrister alive......who told him not to say anything at the inquest & then "discovered" that Lubbock was "assulted" at the hospital. Seeing as Essex police have now refuted that nonsense I think Barrymore should be dragged back to answer more questions.

And the final 2 fingers up to everyone is the statement by Barrymore & his lawyers shown right at the end of the programme saying that Lubbock's injuries were probably made by him falling onto the side of the pool as he fell in. Cobblers.
    Unfortunately in the late 70's there wasn't to technology & IT systems that we have now. No automatic cross referencing that computers can now do. It all had to be done by hand. Watching that documentary it said they had interviews & statements going back 6 months that they were working on. Nowdays I think Peter Sutcliffe would have been caught after the  2 or 3 murder. 
    One of my old housemates was from Warrington originally so he had a northern accent and his job moved him up to Sheffield. He bore a passing resemblance to Sutcliffe physically and was interviewed a couple of times himself. If other blokes with similar characteristics were also interviewed one wonders just how long they were close yet far away from catching him.
  • Believe they stopped him once in a random stop and search just after he had attacked someone, and he asked if he could have a quick piss and dumped his hammer in a bush!! 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Believe they stopped him once in a random stop and search just after he had attacked someone, and he asked if he could have a quick piss and dumped his hammer in a bush!! 
    That was when they caught him, I think one of the cops was a young WPC who thought it a bit suspicious and went to check it out....but for her he could have got away again.
  • edited February 2020
    Not seen this particular documentary, but looked up a couple on YouTube last night. Can not believe that out of those there, no one has come forward and had the bottle to say what happened. From the 6 pathologists who have seen the evidence, only one thought he had drowned. Out of the 5 remaining, 2 think it is possible that the most likely cause of death was heart attack brought on be the anal injuries Stuart Lubbock suffered. Another probable lie from a couple of the people at the property, including MB, was that Lubbock was swimming around in the water before he was found dead, strong evedence suggests that the pool would have been far too cold to willingly get in and stay in for any amount of time, even though MB says he turned the pool heater on the early hours of that morning, for the first time that year, it would've taken more than a couple of hours for it to have warmed up enough to be bearable to swim in.

MB has said that the injuries Lubbock sustained must be from a thermometer being inserted while he was trying to be revived in the hospital, or a necropheliac attack in the mortuary? As mad as those claims may be, one of the pathologists said that there is no way these injuries occured after death.

Wonder if this attack happened in the last couple of years and because there were so few people involved, they could have all been done under the "joint enterprise" law?

• Watched the documentary, MB did not come out of it well. Perhaps the police are now hoping for some changes in allegiance with the passing of time.

• Biggest thing for me on the documentary was the tabloid journalist. The budget they had to pay for interviews and it didn't matter if it was true or not. Didn't realise he came out the way he did and a lot of the audience immediately called the sun.
  • edited February 2020
    According to the documentary I saw on BBC four, the issue with catching Sutcliffe was the investigating officers putting all their eggs in the Ripper was a Geordie basket due to the tapes they received, It defies belief but hopefully the incompetence rife in the police force then is less so now. Sutcliffe could have gone to them and confessed and they wouldn't have arrested him! When he was caught by accident as he was about to commit another murder, they organised a press conference and boasted about his capture! They even traced a newly released £5 note too his pay packet that was found with a murdered victim and didn't charge him.
  • Biggest thing for me on the documentary was the tabloid journalist. The budget they had to pay for interviews and it didn't matter if it was true or not. Didn't realise he came out the way he did and a lot of the audience immediately called the sun.
    Yes, I thought this also. The "journalist" had no qualms sayings that they basically paid for a headline, no matter if it was true or not. Also blagging their way into a house by saying they were part of the "investigating team" & not saying they were a newspaper. Horrible people.......no shame or morals.

• edited February 2020
    Watching the documentary I thought Barrymore didn't come out too well. So many inconsistencies & lies.......

Says he cannot swim.........ex-wife says he can.

Where is the pool thermometer. It was there the day after but disappeared once Barrymore's agent popped by to "pick up a few things". Imo it was used on Stuart Lubbock.

Also Barrymore employed probably the most famous (expensive) barrister alive......who told him not to say anything at the inquest & then "discovered" that Lubbock was "assulted" at the hospital. Seeing as Essex police have now refuted that nonsense I think Barrymore should be dragged back to answer more questions.

And the final 2 fingers up to everyone is the statement by Barrymore & his lawyers shown right at the end of the programme saying that Lubbock's injuries were probably made by him falling onto the side of the pool as he fell in. Cobblers.
    Just watched it and agree wholeheartedly with all this. A young man died a violent,painful death. One or more people at that party are guilty of causing that. I hope and pray for the sake of Stuart Lubbocks family and for Stuart himself,justice is done.