Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

City trip Stockholm end of May

Has anyone been to Stockholm? Where's the best area for drinks? What points of interest can you recommend? Is it easy to get tickets for the game AIK - Djurgarden?
We are staying at the First Hotel Fridhemsplan (Kungsholmen).

Comments

• I was there last ssummer. Very nice city and you can see most of the sights from the water so either get a hop-on hop-off boat ticket or take a tour.

I stayed in Sodermalm and this is generally regarded as the best area for pubs. Not cheap, as you probably know, but be warned that just about every pub employs security staff and if you look drunk they may well not let you in. I had trouble even when sober as I have quite puffy eyes; not quite up to Curbs' standard though.
  • Sodermalm.....is that twinned with Sydenham?
  • I stopped off on a cruise a couple of years ago and would recommend the Abba Museum.

It is good fun even if you don't like Abba. 
  • The museum of modern art is good (well it was when I went in 1992).
  • I have relatives there, it is a cracking city and the waterfront is gorgeous. If the weather is good find somewhere to eat/drink overlooking the water (it is big enough).

This is one of the best museums I have ever been to https://www.vasamuseet.se/en

And Västerbottensost is one of the best cheeses in the world.
  • We need to set up a Charlton Life travel section
  • I was there last summer for the first time. Totally agree that the Vasa Museet and Abba museums are well worth a visit. I also enjoyed the Nobel Prize Museum and a tour of the Swedish parliament. As for getting around, we used the hotel bicycles on our last day which saved us a lot of time and money, and was easy as Stockholm is so bicycle-friendly. Food and drink are expensive and we were on a tight budget so I'm not the person to advise on that! I've been to dozens of countries and Sweden has gone straight into my top 10.
  • I went to Stockholm years ago. Loved it and have always wanted to go back.

So many fit birds.
  • MadGerman said:
    Has anyone been to Stockholm? Where's the best area for drinks? What points of interest can you recommend? Is it easy to get tickets for the game AIK - Djurgarden?
    We are staying at the First Hotel Fridhemsplan (Kungsholmen).

As mentioned earlier Sodermalm is THE place to go for a drink.  There are lots of pub very near to each other, something not too common in Sweden.

AIK play at the national stadium which holds around 50k, but this is a big derby so I'd suggest booking on their website before going.  Expect to pay about 400sek, around £35.

Stockholm is very expensive but a beautiful city.  Have a wonderful time.
  • Off_it said:
    I went to Stockholm years ago. Loved it and have always wanted to go back.

So many fit birds.
    The swedish crumpet are the most beautiful in the world.