Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

'On their day'

Inspired by the Tony Watt thread it got me thinking who else never made the most of their ability. That's not to say they didn't achieve anything, but who 'on their day could be great' and should have done much, much more?

Few names initially thought of:

Non-Charlton players:
Jermaine Pennant
Jack Wilshere
Freddy Adu
Ravel Morrison
Maradonna
Mario Balotelli
David Bentley
Adriano
Joe Cole
Cherno Samba - Purely based on the fact he was the greatest ever player in FM history!

Charlton players:
Scott Parker
Diego Poyet
Jerome Thomas
Francis Jeffers
Tony Watt

Edit: Maybe 'on their day' isn't reflective of what I was going for, but who fulfill their ability and potential to the fullest?

Comments

• Kevin Lisbie (only one day tbf).
  • Inspired by the Tony Watt thread it got me thinking who else never made the most of their ability. That's not to say they didn't achieve anything, but who 'on their day could be great' and should have done much, much more?

Non-Charlton players:
    Jermaine Pennant
    Jack Wilshere
    Freddy Adu
    Ravel Morrison
    Maradonna
    Mario Balotelli
    David Bentley
    Adriano
    Joe Cole
    Cherno Samba - Purely based on the fact he was the greatest ever player in FM history!

Charlton players:
    Scott Parker
    Diego Poyet
    Jerome Thomas
    Francis Jeffers
    Tony Watt
    Don't remember the great days of Poyet, Thomas, Jeffers and Watt. Okay but certainly not great for me.
  • Inspired by the Tony Watt thread it got me thinking who else never made the most of their ability. That's not to say they didn't achieve anything, but who 'on their day could be great' and should have done much, much more?

Non-Charlton players:
    Jermaine Pennant
    Jack Wilshere
    Freddy Adu
    Ravel Morrison
    Maradonna
    Mario Balotelli
    David Bentley
    Adriano
    Joe Cole

Charlton players:
    Scott Parker
    Diego Poyet
    Jerome Thomas
    Francis Jeffers
    Tony Watt
    Parker is a silly one. Don't think Jeffers counts either, he just came through and then didn't do anything. Same as the likes of Freddy Adu. I don't think the meaning of "on their day" is the same as young prospects who don't develop as expected. 

Marko Arnautovic is one from recently. Can be unplayable but lacks consistency. 
  • Maradona ??? i'm sure he done enough to be regarded as great.
    Without a doubt, but would you say he got the most out of his ability? I certainly wouldn't.
  • edited February 2020
    Bentley 
    Wilshere
    Cole were all more because of injury rather than whatever it is that has stopped Watt and Ravel Morrison achieving what they could
    Without a doubt, but would you say he got the most out of his ability? I certainly wouldn't.
    I agree he probably didn't, but still doesn't qualify as "great on their day" when he had a bloody shit load of good days!
    I agree he probably didn't, but still doesn't qualify as "great on their day" when he had a bloody shit load of good days!
    Okay, maybe on their day is not an accurate reflection of what I meant. It's more about did they fulfill potential and ability to the fullest I guess is what I was going for.
  • George Best.
    Just checked the honours he won as an individual and as a team player, i don't think you'd get much better tbh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stan Collymore 
  • Most wingers would fit into this category, I've seen Hatem Ben Arfa do some unreal things with a football, but go missing generally.
  • There can be only one! Please see my profile picture. On his day poetry in motion.

At left back, poultry in motion.
  • Giles Barnes. Made his debut at 17 and was the club's young player of the year the season they were promoted to the Premier League but was, by all accounts, an absolute penis. He had some injuries as well but he was an arrogant muppet who didn't train properly and wound up senior professionals. He went from being an England u19s player tipped for the top to currently trying to rebuild his career in India aged 31 having found himself unwanted in America and Mexico. And Doncaster.
  • edited February 2020
    In 1986, Maradona captained his country in the World Cup, during which he won the "Golden Ball" as the best player in the tournament, scored "the best goal of the century" and won the World Cup Final, then went back to Napoli and captained them to the Serie A title. 

For that season alone, starting with the WC in '86, I think you've put him in the wrong list. 
  • From a Charlton point of view I’d say Rommedhal. 
    Agreed but he did very well for Denmark.
  • Chizz said:
    In 1986, Maradona captained his country in the World Cup, during which he won the "Golden Ball" as the best player in the tournament, scored "the best goal of the century" and won the World Cup Final, then went mack to Napoli and captained them to the Serie A title. 

For that season alone, starting with the WC in '86, I think you've put him in the wrong list. 
    Surely though he therefore should have achieved even more. He was without a doubt great, one of the best of all-time, but did he actually get the most from his ability.

Look at the consistency of Ronaldo and Messi. Season after season they have been fantastic. Maradonna had some amazing seasons, and moments, I'm not arguing that. But his off field activities meant he never achieved everything he could have in his career.
  • For some reason, Mike Kenning flashed into my head. He was quick and had a fierce shot, but he had some off days. I seem to remember that he took Ian Gillard, the QPR left back, to the cleaners. Gillard had just played for England if I remember rightly.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think the ultimate on their day player was probably Jean Pierre Papin.

For Charlton, I'd say Reza who tricked us on April Fools Day 2014 into thinking that he might be good enough to have some more days. Exactly two months later did manage to have another day. Sadly that was for country not club. 
  • Off at a tangent.  Sorry. 

Usain Bolt.  Could he have gone faster?

Whenever UB ran in the relay team he was a true team player who dived at the line. Yet, whenever I saw him compete independently he would slow up, smile at the camera etc.... when crossing the line. I often wonder if he could have gone that little bit faster and set world records even greater? 

Sorry for the tangent. 
  • edited February 2020
    George Best.

From the age 25 or so George realised there was more to life than football and subsequently lost his dedication. But a Championship medal and a European Cup, and over 300 games for arguably the most famous club in the world is a lot more than most have achieved.

Could he have achieved more in the game? Maybe - but to do so he would have needed a different personality.

Having said all of that, a lot of people of a certain age, including me (who have also witnessed the likes of Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi, Zidane and Ronaldo et al) consider George to be the GOAT.

P.S. anyone who thinks Maradona didn't reach his full potential is away with the fairies!
  • bobmunro said:
    George Best.

From the age 25 or so George realised there was more to life than football and subsequently lost his dedication. But a Championship medal and a European Cup, and over 300 games for arguably the most famous club in the world is a lot more than most have achieved.

Could he have achieved more in the game? Maybe - but to do so he would have needed a different personality.

Having said all of that, a lot of people of a certain age, including me (who have also witnessed the likes of Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi, Zidane and Ronaldo et al) consider George to be the GOAT.

P.S. anyone who thinks Maradona didn't reach his full potential are away with the fairies!
    George made a choice - he wasn't powerless in the choice he made. He was an amazing player who sadly we didn't see more of.

He played football on terrible pitches and got lumps kicked out of him yet still stood out. Would have been great to see him play in the modern era.
  • bobmunro said:
    George Best.

P.S. anyone who thinks Maradona didn't reach his full potential are away with the fairies!
    George made a choice - he wasn't powerless in the choice he made. He was an amazing player who sadly we didn't see more of.

He played football on terrible pitches and got lumps kicked out of him yet still stood out. Would have been great to see him play in the modern era.

Yes he did make the choice - I agree.
  • I saw Cruyff play in the 71 European Cup Final when I was a kid - an influential player but certainly didn't captivate me in the way Best did. Best was a maverick and a flair player - even a casual football fan could appreciate his ability.
  • edited February 2020
    I saw Cruyff play in the 71 European Cup Final when I was a kid - an influential player but certainly didn't captivate me in the way Best did. Best was a maverick and a flair player - even a casual football fan could appreciate his ability.

There's a story about George and Cruyff - apologies if I've told this on here before.

Northern Ireland were playing Holland in a friendly and all the talk was about Best v Cruyff. An Irish reporter, a friend of George's, was talking to him leading up to the game about how good Cruyff was and that he was probably better than George. That was a red rag to a bull and George had a bet with the reporter that within 5 minutes he would dribble past Cruyff by nutmegging him. Game kicked off and it went to George on the left - he dribbled all the way across the pitch to where Cruyff was on the Dutch left. Faced up to him, ran towards him, and nutmegged him!
  • bobmunro said:
    I saw Cruyff play in the 71 European Cup Final when I was a kid - an influential player but certainly didn't captivate me in the way Best did. Best was a maverick and a flair player - even a casual football fan could appreciate his ability.

There's a story about George and Cruyff - apologies if I've told this on here before.

Northern Ireland were playing Holland in a friendly and all the talk was about Best v Cruyff. An Irish reporter, a friend of George's, was talking to him leading up to the game about how good Cruyff was and that he was probably better than George. That was a red rag to a bull and George had a bet with the reporter than within 5 minutes he would dribble past Cruyff by nutmegging him. Game kicked off and it went to George on the left - he dribbled all the way across the pitch to where Cruyff was on the Dutch left. Faced up to him, ran towards him, and nutmegged him!
    He was certainly the most skilful player the UK has produced.
  • Paddy Powell was a great player to watch ..on his day 
  • Darren Huckerby. 

Sometimes he was unplayable