Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hold on to your hats!

Met office has raised the alert level for Sunday's high winds to Amber Level for much of SE England.  Gusts up to 80 mph.
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2020-02-09&id=9b547185-76da-486f-9786-760ccd42761d 

"Storm Ciara will bring a spell of very strong winds. Disruption to travel is likely during Sunday

What to expect

• Probably some damage to buildings, such as tiles blown from roofs
  • Longer journey times and cancellations likely, as road, rail, air and ferry services may be affected
  • Some roads and bridges likely to close
  • Injuries and danger to life is likely from large waves and beach material being thrown onto coastal roads, sea fronts and properties
  • There is a good chance that power cuts may occur"
Stay safe, folks!

Comments

• Hmmm, maybe my son’s football game will be called off for the fourth week in a row
  • Bit of high wind and we name it "Storm Ciara", embarrassing.  
  • I imagine that the Woolwich ferry will be cancelled

Assuming that it was running in the first place
    Predicted 80 mph wind is most certainly a storm warning Mike.........make no mistake!
  • Copied from my work, a warning about this weekends weather

Based on information provided by the Met Office and Eurotempest, we are expecting the worst weather across the UK in the last 4 years with 95% of the UK expecting 65+ MPH winds along with heavy rainfall.

• Thank you and I am working Sunday in a Home Insurance company so will be busy from thenon. 

• West Ham are playing at Man Citteee on Sunday .. winds in the north are not expected to be quite as bad as dahn sarf .. so the 'Ammers might escape getting totally blown away
  • edited February 2020
    West Ham are playing at Man Citteee on Sunday .. winds in the north are not expected to be quite as bad as dahn sarf .. so the 'Ammers might escape getting totally blown away
    I don't think anyone has been blown away by a West Ham performance since the days of Bobby Moore, Martin Peters and Geoff Hurst.
  • Sponsored links:

• West Ham are playing at Man Citteee on Sunday .. winds in the north are not expected to be quite as bad as dahn sarf .. so the 'Ammers might escape getting totally blown away
    I don't think anyone has been blown away by a West Ham performance since the days of Bobby Moore, Martin Peters and Geoff Hurst.
    West Ham are playing at Man Citteee on Sunday .. winds in the north are not expected to be quite as bad as dahn sarf .. so the 'Ammers might escape getting totally blown away

mention of the World Cup Winners .. as I've said here before, as a boy, Bobby Moore was a Charlton fan .. another one that got away
  • I can almost guarantee that this’ll be the usual over cautious bollox the weathermen trawl out so often. It’ll be a bit wet and blowy, that’s about it
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    I can almost guarantee that this’ll be the usual over cautious bollox the weathermen trawl out so often. It’ll be a bit wet and blowy, that’s about it
    true .. the Met office/BBC have been very careful ever since the Michael Fish 'guarantee'
  • edited February 2020

• That’s from Accuweather
  • N01R4M said:

Those underplaying the effect of possible 80mph gusts might like to imagine riding a motorbike at even half that speed with no visor to protect your eyes - and then remember that doubling the wind speed quadruples the energy it carries.
    A few years ago i was caught out in the Cairngorm mountains when the tail end of a hurricane passed over Scotland.
    Myself and another chap managed to get to Corrour bothy where we were stuck for 48 hours. The wind speed was recorded outside at 108 mph. To get water meant getting to a stream about 50 yards away, this was achieved by me crawling with 4 water bottles there and back.
    A 108 mph wind sounds like a jet taking off, your eyes water so you can hardly see, you cannot stand or even kneel, the temp of about -2 with windchill is about -30. Within about 15 minutes things get out of control and you can hardly function. 

Did you get swept to the stream a bit quicker though?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2020
    Back from the stream, yes
  • edited February 2020
    N01R4M said:

Those underplaying the effect of possible 80mph gusts might like to imagine riding a motorbike at even half that speed with no visor to protect your eyes - and then remember that doubling the wind speed quadruples the energy it carries.
    A few years ago i was caught out in the Cairngorm mountains when the tail end of a hurricane passed over Scotland.
    Myself and another chap managed to get to Corrour bothy where we were stuck for 48 hours. The wind speed was recorded outside at 108 mph. To get water meant getting to a stream about 50 yards away, this was achieved by me crawling with 4 water bottles there and back.
    A 108 mph wind sounds like a jet taking off, your eyes water so you can hardly see, you cannot stand or even kneel, the temp of about -2 with windchill is about -30. Within about 15 minutes things get out of control and you can hardly function. 

like Tom Tom the piper's son .. 'over the hills a great way off, the wind shall blow my top knot off' .. or is that why you are now Lord Baldybonce ? ((:>) .. 
    seriously, never underestimate the forces of nature
  • edited February 2020
    N01R4M said:
    Hopefully the meteorologists are being over-cautious in their warnings - after all, none of them wants to be known as "Michael Fish Mk.2"!

This re 1st paragraph. Will be a fuss about nothing I bet you. 
  • N01R4M said:

Sounds fantastic, I'm looking to get out walking somewhere Sunday & take some photos. Any suggestions on some decent woods on outskirts of London ? Would prefer to go to the coast but don't want to get stuck on a train somewhere for 12 hours !!!
  • N01R4M said:

Sounds fantastic, I'm looking to get out walking somewhere Sunday & take some photos. Any suggestions on some decent woods on outskirts of London ? Would prefer to go to the coast but don't want to get stuck on a train somewhere for 12 hours !!!
    Jack woods at Shooters hill could give you some nice shots across London and not too far to go  if transport is messed up.
  • Please be aware that due to high winds we're expecting Greenwich Park and the Royal Observatory to be closed on Sunday 9 February. 
  • We’re away in Brighton this weekend, Sunday looks like it will be fun!
  • N01R4M said:

Shorne Woods Country Park.
  • clive said:
    Please be aware that due to high winds we're expecting Greenwich Park and the Royal Observatory to be closed on Sunday 9 February. 
    Lightweight. I am going to work. As long as these winds don't knoxk out electricity. 
    Predicted 80 mph wind is most certainly a storm warning Mike.........make no mistake!
    I never said it wasn’t a storm warning, I said giving it a name is embarrassing