Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ten players out of contract at end of this season

Williams,Forster-Caskey,Amos,Taylor,Mathews,Solly,Hamed,Sarr,Morgan & Page all out of contract at the end of this season.
https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-could-have-ten-players-out-of-contract-this-summer-with-six-loans-also-ending/

Comments

• edited February 2020
    Williams, Taylor and Matthews currently only ones who are top end championship quality. 

Maybe Amos but don't know enough about him.
  • Good that we've got an option on Williams. Apart from Taylor, Matthews really the only other one I I'd be disappointed with if he didn't stay. 
  • As much as it sucks...football is a business, and Page will have to go

If I joined a new company and spent 90% of my time there off sick, I'd get the boot too

Sucks, but that's life :(
  • I think Taylor is going in the summer. 
    Of the other players out of contract Williams and Mathews are the two we should be trying to keep.
    Solly possibly in a coaching role. 
  • Taylor and Matthews currently only ones who are top end championship quality. 

Maybe Amos but don't know enough about him.

...Williams?
    Of course. Didn't see him on there when I posted 
  • Sponsored links:

• Is Sarr known to be on high wages?
  • mendonca said:
    Is Sarr known to be on high wages?
    Yes.
    Thanks to Katie 
  • same shit, different season
  • Keep 
    Taylor, Matthews, Williams, Sarr

Let go
    Solly, Hemed, Page

Review at end of season
    Amos, Caskey, Morgan

If in the summer we are going to splash the cash and get in a much better standard of player I would be happy to let them all go besides Taylor and Williams. 

• We can't wait until we know we're safe if there are players we REALLY want to keep. Relegation is the risk you have to take
  • Would do everything I could to keep Taylor, Williams and Matthews.

Would offer a contract to Solly but he will know he will likely become a squad player and may want to continue as a first team player elsewhere.  It will be a sad day when Solls leaves the club.

I would also offer a contract to Morgan but let him know I see him out in loan the following season.  For stability I would also keep Amos.

Page, JFC and Sarr I would release.  Page never fit, don’t rate Sarr and with Williams we already have an ‘injury prone midfielder’ slot filled so no room for JFC sadly.

Hemed has to the end of the season to impress enough but not done enough so far.
  • JFC and Page to go and Hemed probably as well. Not sure about Sarr and Amos - depends on the wages and what our aspirations are? Solly retain as a squad player and Morgan keep but let out on loan.

Matthews, Williams and Taylor to be retained but obviously wage structure might be an issue?
  • Sponsored links:

• Unpopular opinion, but depending on Williams wages I would not necessarily be keen to sign him up to a new contract.

Yes I know his ability, and yes I know his off the field influence he has on the team, but I can't think of many other teams who have a player who can only play half the season and when he does have a consistent run rarely plays the 90 minutes. 

That being said if we can get him down on a cheaper contract which would maybe increase after he played a certain amount of games (if thats a thing) then I would keep him.
    Fair point.
  • edited February 2020
    I'd like to think Lee has some sort of an input, so i'll leave it to him and Matt to sort out.

We do need to get out of the habit of changing 10 plus players every summer, its destabilising, 4- 5 max.
  • Unpopular opinion, but depending on Williams wages I would not necessarily be keen to sign him up to a new contract.

Yes I know his ability, and yes I know his off the field influence he has on the team, but I can't think of many other teams who have a player who can only play half the season and when he does have a consistent run rarely plays the 90 minutes. 

That being said if we can get him down on a cheaper contract which would maybe increase after he played a certain amount of games (if thats a thing) then I would keep him.
    I get that but Jonny will play 50% of the games this season. That's enough to plan with 

When he plays he makes Bowyers tactics work. He is the outlet. Fouled 8 times re Barnsley I think.
  • I'd like to think Lee has some sort of an input, so i'll leave it to him and Matt to sort out.

We do need to get out of the habit of changing 10 plus players every summer, its destabilising, 4- 5 max.
    I think this is the one season where we should be signing 10+ players, change the calibre of players we have as much as possible, getting good players in on long contracts and build from there
  • I'd keep Jonny personally , on a pay as you play deal personally, its not his fault if his body can't do it for a full season, but we could do with a 40 game a season Jonny Williams type player moving foward (unless we can mend him), but would cost big bucks!
  • edited February 2020
    Unpopular opinion, but depending on Williams wages I would not necessarily be keen to sign him up to a new contract.

I get that but Jonny will play 50% of the games this season. That's enough to plan with 

When he plays he makes Bowyers tactics work. He is the outlet. Fouled 8 times re Barnsley I think.
    He has played 868 minutes over 16 games league this season which is an average of 56 minutes per game. In my opinion if we want to push for the premiership we cannot afford to have a player, not matter what his ability is, who cannot play 90 minutes consistently. 

Games are won over 90 minutes, not 56. Just look at this weekend as an example, and how poor the team played when Williams was taken off (I know we won, but we were fortunate). Once again I am not knocking Williams ability at all, and I understand we are a much better team when he plays, but for me he does not play enough minutes for me. 
  • Signings depend on our aspirations. Are we pushing for the Prem or trying to keep afloat in the Championship?
  • Jonny is worth keeping around for what he can do. If he were able to stay fit more often he wouldn't be playing for Charlton, we benefit from his injury issues as much as we suffer. The point above says it all; yes we struggled horribly when he went off, but that just goes to show that we were only where we were - 2-0 up - largely because of Jonny's input. I wish he played more, but having a player who can win you a game when fit is a hell of a lot better than letting him go because he might not be available sometimes and losing that spark that can be the difference between a win and a loss. If we let him go who could we replace him with that would be within our budget, or wouldn't cost more in fees and wages than Jonny would? I think we do need to look at having more players who can decide the outcome of a game, but having Jonny around is essential until we've really established ourselves as a Championship team, which we need him to do.
    I totally understand the sentiment, but could you tell me of another team who essentially have a key player who consistently throughout his career has only been able to play half a season, and when he does play can not play the full 90 minutes?

As good as Jonny is as a player, and I think he is great, I do believe there are also plenty of other very good players out there who we could get who would guarantee more consistency in terms of fitness then Jonny.

In an ideal world, Jonny would stay injury free for the rest of the season and then for the last 10 games show that he can play consistent long minutes. If he does that, then I would sign him up on a longer contract in a heartbeat. I am just skeptical then he can.