Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

'Grinich' or 'Grenich'

1235»

Comments

• I was born in Louis - ham
    And I’ve always called it that.
  • I was born in Louis - ham
    Is that with the French or English pronunciation of "Louis"?
  • N01R4M said:
    I was born in Louis - ham
    The French pronounced 'Louis', followed by 'shum' is what I call it.
  • mickc said:
    Slight diversion of pronunciation. 

Fored or fore head? 
    Fore head

• grinnidge is near blakkeeth, down the road from dettfud in one direction and woollidge in the other
    chow’un play football in that NOFTW too
    FTAOD the stop between Belvedere and Slade Green on the railway line is pronounced EAR-ith. We know it doesn’t look like it should be but there it is don’t argue with we natives Anyone giving it e-Rith is an ignoramus or a poseur 
    I’m not about to mount a defense for Wrotham or Trottiscliffe. Those peasants are all just trouble makers 
  • edited February 2020
    grinnidge is near blakkeeth, down the road from dettfud in one direction and woollidge in the other
    chow’un play football in that NOFTW too
    FTAOD the stop between Belvedere and Slade Green on the railway line is pronounced EAR-ith. We know it doesn’t look like it should be but there it is don’t argue with we natives Anyone giving it e-Rith is an ignoramus or a poseur 
    I’m not about to mount a defense for Wrotham or Trottiscliffe. Those peasants are all just trouble makers 
    But would you mount a defence?

I'd say my pronunciations are more choo(l)w'un - a longer 'o' sound and a slight hint of the 'l' - and bla-keith - definitely the 'k' coming at the start of the last syllable than the end of the first.

The only people who live in Greenwich and say Grenich are the sort of poseurs who say they live in Blackheath.
  • bobmunro said:
    N01R4M said:
    The French pronounced 'Louis', followed by 'shum' is what I call it.
    The same.
  • N01R4M said:
    French 😊
  • Vincenzo said:
    It’s on a wiki so it must be right?
  • Sponsored links:

• I say “Grinich” but originally the Kentish dialect replaces the “i” sound with an “e” so I am guessing it was way back pronounced “Grenich” and “Grinich” is the later London accent imposter.
  • Sat-navs are another good source of place-name mangling.  Don't know how mine turns Lichfield into Lyechfield, but it really grates on my ear! 
    I can understand it having problems with Leominster (Lem-ster) or Happisburgh (Haze-bruh), but Lichfield????
  • Grinidge for sure
  • edited February 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    Falconwood,  The lady announced on the train pronounces it foolconwood but everyone I know calls it foulconwood
    Heard that at Charing X station last time I was there.

Falconwood was my nearest train station when I was a kid ...... everyone, I mean everyone pronounced it Foul-con-wood.
    Even the train announcers.

Now they've got some bimbo failed actress from bleddy Hampstead Heath or somewhere to do the taped train messages.
    Clueless.

Next thing you know, all the Millennial blow ins who move there from everywhere but Falconwood, will be telling everyone they've bought a house in Fool-con-effing-wood.

Christened in Greenwich and having loads of my relatives from there, everybody who lived there called it Grin-idge, like Wool-idge.
    Then years later, the poxy taped train announcements started announcing it as Gren-etch. Passangers must have thought they were going to to Gren-etch Village, New York.

Now even on the train to Cornwall, on GWR trains the taped announcement voice is saying the train calls at LISS-ked. Where the hell is that?
    Gawd, even holiday makers to Cornwall let alone people who actually live here, know that Liskeard is pronounced Lis-KARD.

Train announcers corrupting the names of a station near you.
    Remember, your town is next.

Grrrrrrrr!

Train announcers - funny breed.  Down our way they always put emphasis on "GILLingham, DOORset" just in case anyone thought the same train route served our challenged friends in JILLingham

BTW, Grinidge, Blak-eef, Woolidge, Shootus-ill