Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Albie Morgan - signed for Blackpool on a 3 year (+1 year option) deal (p54)

Comments

• jondon76 said:
    Cant believe he'll be going to a non league team far too good for that. 
    Cannot join a league team now transfer window is shut, so either non league or our under 23
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Is non-league better than playing in our under 23s? 
    Probably lots more games to play and all properly competitive, plus even Maidstone Utd or Ebbsfleet will sub a bit of his wages/overheads.
    Dartford have just taken in a couple of 19/20 yr olds from QPR & Palarse, seems CAFC wouldn't be the only ones utilising Conference/South for developing the next gen. 
  • Doesn't the non league option allow us to recall in an emergency?
    Yes, the scrapping of emergency loans to EFL clubs has been good news for NL sides, who are now the only place you can send players for short term stints with a recall option
  • jondon76 said:
    Aspects of his game are too good for that, but not his all-round game. Albie has incredible creative instincts; he plays superb first time passes that can open up teams' defences and his range of passing is excellent. His concentration without the ball though is really poor and you can tell that Bowyer doesn't trust him enough to play consistenly because of it. We're at a point where Lee clearly feels that Albie's lapses defensively outweigh what he brings creatively and so Albie really needs to work on that side of his game if he's going to progress. Non-league will be good for him; it will hopefully give him the chance to play consistently in a team and work on his game in a tough environment where he won't get away with avoiding part of his role.
  • jondon76 said:
    Yeah I really don't get this, for a type of player like him I really don't think it's a benefit to play with players who aren't as good technically, or creatively, like to be honest it was probably better for Jonjo to get out rather than play in a Phil Parkinson League One team with us with Deon Burton up front.

He'll be used to playing balls through to the likes of Taylor/Gallagher in training and trying better one touch football, whereas he just won't be able to do that as players won't be on his wave length/have the same pace etc. 

I think he's more than good enough to contribute for us until the end of the season anyway, but even if Bowyer doesn't like him I think it would be better to be playing more U23 football with the odd sub appearance and train with us. 
  • Josh and Albie to Bromley would be ideal.
  • Sponsored links:

• jondon76 said:
    Aspects of his game are too good for that, but not his all-round game. Albie has incredible creative instincts; he plays superb first time passes that can open up teams' defences and his range of passing is excellent. His concentration without the ball though is really poor and you can tell that Bowyer doesn't trust him enough to play consistenly because of it. We're at a point where Lee clearly feels that Albie's lapses defensively outweigh what he brings creatively and so Albie really needs to work on that side of his game if he's going to progress. Non-league will be good for him; it will hopefully give him the chance to play consistently in a team and work on his game in a tough environment where he won't get away with avoiding part of his role.
    That doesn't mean he has to drop from the 2nd tier to the 5th tier though.

I find it hard to believe that he couldn't do a job at say Gillingham or Wycombe for example, or a L2 side like Colchester. 

But twice he's missed the boat for that
  • Can Albie join anyone other than Ebbsfleet now seeing he's represented two clubs?
  • Can Albie join anyone other than Ebbsfleet now seeing he's represented two clubs?
    Good question.
    Ebbsfleet liked Albie ..... and Albie liked Ebbsfleet.

If we've got plenty of fit midfield bodies, I would expect he'd happy enough to back there for a month, as that wouldn't stand in his way of a 1st team recall at Charlton, if needed.

What's his other choice .... playing U23s games at training grounds?

• Just listening to Bowyer talk about Albie on Valley Pass, he's just singled him out for two goals, one against QPR & one against Bristol. Surprised he's done that to the media. Albie Morgan is barely 20 years old, he's still developing. Bow's excuse is that he wants him to go away and make those mistakes elsewhere.  

In non-league he'll probably be skilful enough to mask it. He needed a league loan if you want him to improve those areas.

• To be fair to Bowyer he did then go on to praise his technical ability, vision and range of passing so all in all I think he was just being honest recognises his talent and just wants him to improve.
  • Cullen and Lockyer out to non-league following their recent goal-conceding faux-paux?  At least Albie isn't a defensive player on his c.v.
  • Since assisting Bonne v City, Albie has been quite poor. Needs to grab the game at times...but is very young and never expected him to play more than 2/3 in the Championship. He's done well,if that makes sense and does not contradict my own comments.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2020
    Haven't posted this before as I really don't want to be shot down as some WUM who claims to ever be ITK.

Met a guy in a bar in the summer who, upon finding out i was a Charlton fan, claimed to be cousins or something with Albie (knew nothing about Charlton as such and asked if i knew who Albie Morgan was). So i listened to his tale, explaining that Albie was refusing to extend his contract, because he didn't want to be loaned as he thought he was good enough for the first team. It wouldn't surprise me if he and Bowyer are in some arm wrestle regarding Albie thinking he is good enough to play every week and Bowyer not.

As i say massive pinch of salt, but it was a random thing to come out with in conversation and the more i see of this the more i am inclined to believe this guy actually knew something.
    He seems quite the introvert, which would make me doubt this. However the way Bowyer is calling him out could show it has some credence. 
  • I met him two years ago in Portugal when he was 18, said it was his first time away from home. 

What struck me was what a mature guy he was, almost looking after the older ones. He seemed like a decent lad and had time to stop and talk etc. Still that was two years ago, so his ego may of increased with game time. 

I personally think a loan move to league one would work for him. 
  • edited February 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Haven't posted this before as I really don't want to be shot down as some WUM who claims to ever be ITK.

Met a guy in a bar in the summer who, upon finding out i was a Charlton fan, claimed to be cousins or something with Albie (knew nothing about Charlton as such and asked if i knew who Albie Morgan was). So i listened to his tale, explaining that Albie was refusing to extend his contract, because he didn't want to be loaned as he thought he was good enough for the first team. It wouldn't surprise me if he and Bowyer are in some arm wrestle regarding Albie thinking he is good enough to play every week and Bowyer not.

As i say massive pinch of salt, but it was a random thing to come out with in conversation and the more i see of this the more i am inclined to believe this guy actually knew something.
    He seems quite the introvert, which would make me doubt this. However the way Bowyer is calling him out could show it has some credence. 
    The only reason i posted this was because it seemed to have gained some credence. The bloke knew nothing Charlton just Albie Morgan.

I have never met Albie, but do rate him as a player, i do however agree with @robroy regarding he would probably become a quality operator for the championship with football league experience.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Just listening to Bowyer talk about Albie on Valley Pass, he's just singled him out for two goals, one against QPR & one against Bristol. Surprised he's done that to the media. Albie Morgan is barely 20 years old, he's still developing. Bow's excuse is that he wants him to go away and make those mistakes elsewhere.  

In non-league he'll probably be skilful enough to mask it. He needed a league loan if you want him to improve those areas.

I assume Bowyer is doing this because he rates Albie and wants him to make it to a high level, but I have a horrible feeling it'll end with him leaving on a nominal development fee when his contract runs out, and him going on to be a big success elsewhere. 

For all his brilliant work, no manager is perfect. I'm still baffled what went on with Fosu, it seems crazy that we're playing talented wingers from other clubs as a second striker (Leko and Green) when Fosu could have done that job.
  • edited February 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Just listening to Bowyer talk about Albie on Valley Pass, he's just singled him out for two goals, one against QPR & one against Bristol. Surprised he's done that to the media. Albie Morgan is barely 20 years old, he's still developing. Bow's excuse is that he wants him to go away and make those mistakes elsewhere.  

Did he single out exactly what Albie has done? From memory Bristol was the poor defensive clearance (but lots of our players were making similar stupid mistakes at that time).
  • Dazzler21 said:

Did he single out exactly what Albie has done? From memory Bristol was the poor defensive clearance (but lots of our players were making similar stupid mistakes at that time).
    No just said he cost us in those games because his defensive side is not good.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Can't remember the QPR one, but to single him out for the Bristol City mistake seems a bit harsh considering during that period of play lots of our defenders made lots of silly mistakes.

It was one of the things that frustrated me the most as we were competing, but kept dropping points because of one stupid mistake. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Can't remember the QPR one, but to single him out for the Bristol City mistake seems a bit harsh considering during that period of play lots of our defenders made lots of silly mistakes.

It was one of the things that frustrated me the most as we were competing, but kept dropping points because of one stupid mistake. 
    Yes, rewatching it yes he should have hoofed the ball out for a corner or throw in but was a bit unlucky that his interception went to one of their players. If it had gone to one of our players everyone would have said it was a reasonable bit of defending.

And he was there to make that interception, so it's not as if he wasn't trying to do his defensive duty.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

He didn’t single him out but did start with him because the question was about him. He was also very complementary about his strengths and the contributions made by all the youngsters in recent weeks. Also said Doughty had not tracked back and cost us a goal.

Later when asked about Chucks scoring he said it was only under 23’s and he can just move them out of the way and that the fact it was 3-2 at half time demonstrates how they take it turns to attack as they don’t defend.

He is also right.