Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Most Overrated Products

Comments

• Dyson hoovers?

Had two, both lasted a few months and failed.  Have we just been unlucky?
  • Dyson hoovers?

I think you have mate, we got the V8 battery one and it's the bollocks. Lost 2 batteries to lightning storms, and they've sent us a new one both times fo nothing
  • Maybe give them another go then.  Love their hand dryers ....
  • Super glue.... should have just “stuck” to its original use.... 
  • Obamacare
  • Watching the future stars of the Premier League before they're sold on for a profit
  • Anoraks 
  • Train spotting manuals 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cats are a good one actually. No use to man or beast in a domestic application.
  • Cats are a good one actually. No use to man or beast in a domestic application.
    Plus I'm allergic to their hair.
    That's not true, we had a problem with mice at home. We started borrowing local cats who would regularly visit our garden, the mice left pretty quickly after that.
  • PopIcon said:
    Cats are a good one actually. No use to man or beast in a domestic application.
    That's not true, we had a problem with mice at home. We started borrowing local cats who would regularly visit our garden, the mice left pretty quickly after that.
    The amount of houses I used to treat for mice, which had cats that weren't interested in mice. The owners would say the only thing the cats brought in was birds
    Nah, get a proper one, e.g. a Miele. Ours is still going strong in its 14th year, like just about everything else in our house that's German. Pride of place in that respect is the Bosch washer-dryer, still going strong, no call-outs, after 24 years. 

This is what I wanted to reply to @Dazzler21. You were having a go at me for comparing a TV to a laptop. Fact is that some companies are more committed to longevity than others in whatever sector they are in. When we got our Bosch washer drier, I was warned off Whirlpool by its own marketing manager "we count on 3 years trouble free use", he told me. It surely isnt a coincidence that our German washer dryer and vacuum cleaner are joined by the dishwasher, oven, wine fridge, and microwave in all going strong since we bought them for this house 14 years ago. Yet Samsung apparently don't offer parts support for a 6 year old TV. Fuck off...
  • Cats.

Bollocks.
  • Cats.

Bollocks.
    My bollocks aint overrated mate.
  • Dyson hoovers?

loadsa suction but the hopper for the dirt is just toooooo small (or perhaps I should 'hoover' more often)
  • Dyson hoovers?

loadsa suction but the hopper for the dirt is just toooooo small (or perhaps I should 'hoover' more often)
    Just get yourself a Henry. Best Hoover by miles and about a quarter the cost of a Dyson. If you can cope with the pace it takes up and moving it around it’s going to keep your place much cleaner and also can be used for serious stuff like picking up broken glass, post plastering dust etc where a dyson will just die. 
  • Dyson hoovers?

Not as bad as G-Techs. Both our main and hand hoovers are hopeless. 
  • Sponsored links:

Nah, get a proper one, e.g. a Miele. Ours is still going strong in its 14th year, like just about everything else in our house that's German. Pride of place in that respect is the Bosch washer-dryer, still going strong, no call-outs, after 24 years. 

This is what I wanted to reply to @Dazzler21. You were having a go at me for comparing a TV to a laptop. Fact is that some companies are more committed to longevity than others in whatever sector they are in. When we got our Bosch washer drier, I was warned off Whirlpool by its own marketing manager "we count on 3 years trouble free use", he told me. It surely isnt a coincidence that our German washer dryer and vacuum cleaner are joined by the dishwasher, oven, wine fridge, and microwave in all going strong since we bought them for this house 14 years ago. Yet Samsung apparently don't offer parts support for a 6 year old TV. Fuck off...
    I don’t share your German love in Prague. Crap can be made anywhere the same as quality. In twenty years we’ve had 4 dishwashers, 1 MFI badged,2 Bosch and our current one, a Neff (made by Bosch). In 35 years we’ve had 4 washing machines, 2 Hotpoints, 1AEG and a Siemens.  Like all products that have moving mechanical parts, electronic components and have a to heat up and cool down they are prone to failure. In my experience the German Siemens washer/dryer, which we currently own is a heap of shite. The first one I bought, a made in England Hotpoint run for years. We only got rid of it because of its 1980’s colour scheme. In 12 years I only had to replace a motor, 2 inlet valves, 1 pump, a door seal, a door and a set of drum bearings.😉 Sorry to see my weekend hobby go.

On a more serious point, if you open up virtually any modern product you will find a large amount of its guts will originate not even in Europe but the Far East and mostly China. German manufacturing sources components in same places  as all other manufacturers, the cheapest. 

• Greenie said:
    Don’t get the Apple hate, it’s totally unjustified, been using Macs since 92, never had a virus, unlike wanky PCs that are just pony in every way.
    When I had a MacBook, twice my hard drive went tits up on me, and both times it happended during finals week at college. Not to mention if you dont buy the newest iPhone, they slow down the version you already have. Apple can do one 
  • Did anyone say lager yet?

Lager in England is largely pants. Almost as bad as American beer (but not quite as bad - Bud Lite, my god...) Yet we drink it by the ocean load. I include myself in that.

Try the beer in Germany, where they have strict laws on what's allowed to be put into it: only water, barley and hops. It's a world apart from ours and it doesn't taste like liquid Ginsters.

I don’t share your German love in Prague. Crap can be made anywhere the same as quality. In twenty years we’ve had 4 dishwashers, 1 MFI badged,2 Bosch and our current one, a Neff (made by Bosch). In 35 years we’ve had 4 washing machines, 2 Hotpoints, 1AEG and a Siemens.  Like all products that have moving mechanical parts, electronic components and have a to heat up and cool down they are prone to failure. In my experience the German Siemens washer/dryer, which we currently own is a heap of shite. The first one I bought, a made in England Hotpoint run for years. We only got rid of it because of its 1980’s colour scheme. In 12 years I only had to replace a motor, 2 inlet valves, 1 pump, a door seal, a door and a set of drum bearings.😉 Sorry to see my weekend hobby go.

On a more serious point, if you open up virtually any modern product you will find a large amount of its guts will originate not even in Europe but the Far East and mostly China. German manufacturing sources components in same places  as all other manufacturers, the cheapest. 

Sure, no products will work perfectly in every case, nor will all -lets say Whirlpool - products fail after 3 years. And take your point about outsourcing to Asia. Maybe I have just been lucky. However my German love-in started back in 1990 when my 2 and a half year old Hoover washer dryer failed. In those days companies had their own mechanics. The Hoover guy came, pronounced the drum corroded, and the cost of repair not worth it. When I utttered the 1990 equiv of WTF, he said "take my advice mate, get a German one.Their drums use material that will last". That's where it started.
    However out here I got to work with German companies and meet more German people. I'm convinced they are more committed to durability in everything they do. They hate the throwaway society. They may get components from the Far East but they set the spec, and most importantly they run the quality control. 
    Remember what a joke Skoda was, before the fall of Communism and the Germans bought it? It could have been Renault. No way would Skoda be what it is today if it hadn't been the Germans who got their hands on it.
  • Ademola Lookman - Hasn't really done it since leaving.
  • Man utd 
  • cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:
    Pie & Mash. 

Jank meat in a moody soggy pastry, but you have to like it otherwise what sort of geeeeeza are ya. Plus you have to tell everyone you've ever met or know that you're currently eating it.
    This 100% 
    Just proves you are proper nawty if you eat it on a regular basis. It is comfort food but very stodgy.
    It's only comfort food if you lived through the war
    Can understand why the current generation would find it an acquired taste but for an older generation growing up in post war rationed Britain and school dinners which mostly ended up in bins left stinking in the playground and collected for pig fodder, a trip to the pie and mash shop was a heavenly treat. 

At home rissoles and spam fritters were standard fare and fish & chips the only fast food takeaway. It’s nostalgia, so knock pie and mash at your peril.

Can imagine in 50 years time millennials salivating at the thought of a good old fashioned Big Mac. Now that’s proper cack.

• cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:
    Pie & Mash. 

Jank meat in a moody soggy pastry, but you have to like it otherwise what sort of geeeeeza are ya. Plus you have to tell everyone you've ever met or know that you're currently eating it.
    This 100% 
    Just proves you are proper nawty if you eat it on a regular basis. It is comfort food but very stodgy.
    It's only comfort food if you lived through the war
    Can understand why the current generation would find it an acquired taste but for an older generation growing up in post war rationed Britain and school dinners which mostly ended up in bins left stinking in the playground and collected for pig fodder, a trip to the pie and mash shop was a heavenly treat. 

At home rissoles and spam fritters were standard fare and fish & chips the only fast food takeaway. It’s nostalgia, so knock pie and mash at your peril.

Can imagine in 50 years time millennials salivating at the thought of a good old fashioned Big Mac. Now that’s proper cack.

McDonalds has already been around for 80 years
  • milo said:
    Chunes said:
    Did anyone say lager yet?

Lager in England is largely pants. Almost as bad as American beer (but not quite as bad - Bud Lite, my god...) Yet we drink it by the ocean load. I include myself in that.

Try the beer in Germany, where they have strict laws on what's allowed to be put into it: only water, barley and hops. It's a world apart from ours and it doesn't taste like liquid Ginsters.

I agree Lager in the UK is largely ‘pants’ and I agree Bud Light is too.  But my experience of beer in the US, admittedly this was San Francisco, was that craft beer far outnumbered lagers.  I went into a touristy Café in a San Francisco  park (the local equivalent would be the café in Greenwich Park) and they had twelve beers on tap, four bitters, two ESBs, a stout, an imperial stout, three IPAs and a pale ale.  If you wanted a lager you had to have a bottle out of the fridge.  I didn’t even see a bud light in The US until I got to Las Vegas, maybe I was lucky.

As for the German purity laws, these were invented to control taxation and to keep the price of bread down, it had nothing to do with making the beer taste superior.  Also, there is a fourth component in German beer, yeast – although they would not have been aware of this in the sixteenth century.  German white beers also do not obey the purity laws and contain wheat.  I would argue that obeying the purity laws actually holds German beers back, as good as they are.  For example, adding a very small amount of rice to a beer can improve the ‘head’.  An analogy of this was when some of France’s wine producers had very strict rules on wine production which had to be aged in oak casks,  the Australians found by aging wine in cheaper, longer lasting metal casks and just chucking a plank of oak in the barrel you got the same affect at a fraction of the cost.  They also found screw tops were superior to corks, which the French rejected for a long period of time.

Within the UK, CAMRAs insistence that real ale cannot use carbon dioxide can have a negative effect on price and quality.  If a landlord was allowed to release a small amount of carbon dioxide into a barrel of real ale, it being heavier than the air in the barrel, would provide a protective layer stopping the beer from going off as quickly.  It would also stop it being tainted by cheese and onion crisps, rat droppings or any other assorted crap hanging about in a landlord’s cellar.  Why CAMRA insist on this I don't know, perhaps they think we all still dance around the Maypole and duck witches in the pub beer garden with our pint of best.

The flavour of beers is not just affected by its ingredients but how it is stored and made.  Apparently the quality of Staropramen went down hill after In-Bev bought the company, not because they changed the recipe but because they stored it for less time before releasing it (to save money).  I couldn’t comment having never tasted the original Staropramen.

Sorry, didn't mean it to be quite such a long post, went off on one a bit there.  My apolgies to Chunes.

Have you not been out in Dartford for a while?