Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Valley Capacity - The Maximum

Some years ago plans were mooted to develop the Valley to 37k ( I think ) by a revamped Jimmy Seed and wrap around corners to the East and West stands respectively. Out of interest has there ever been any speculative work that assessed the potential highest capacity the Valley could reach given the physical, political and any other  limitations ?

Comments

• 40500 was the max of those plans
  • holyjo said:
    Some years ago plans were mooted to develop the Valley to 37k ( I think ) by a revamped Jimmy Seed and wrap around corners to the East and West stands respectively. Out of interest has there ever been any speculative work that assessed the potential highest capacity the Valley could reach given the physical, political and any other  limitations ?
    Someone getting ahead of themselves  ;););)
  • Roland owns The Valley it would appear so academic. At least for the moment.
  • sam3110 said:
    40500 was the max of those plans
    Until the land behind the East Stand was sold.

However, I would have thought 35k would be a possibility.
  • I'm be happy with a single tier wrap around to replace the JS stand and fill in the corners, taking capacity up to say 32k

The interesting thing with the previous plans was that the East stand would be expanded, but mainly to have much better executive boxes and more corporate space, rather than to have masses more seats
  • Can we expand the stadium at all? As we don't own the land behind the east stand.Airman may know?.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm be happy with a single tier wrap around to replace the JS stand and fill in the corners, taking capacity up to say 32k

The interesting thing with the previous plans was that the East stand would be expanded, but mainly to have much better executive boxes and more corporate space, rather than to have masses more seats
    I wouldn’t be - my Dad’s ashes are scattered in the Garden of Remembrance 
  • Cost of making the Valley bigger one day?.
  • The cost for Coventry,(not that I have any affection for them), for another 8000 seats, from 22k to 30k was oblivion.
  • Options also include doing what Spurs did and knock the whole thing down and move the stadium over, in Charlton’s case into the west stand car park; or, if we didn’t like the option of playing at Wembley for a couple of seasons, do what Wolves did years ago when they moved the pitch over (again for charlton into the west stand car park) one stand at a time and put up with the fact that as it was going on we would have one stand out of action (because it was being demolished and rebuilt), two stands that didn’t stretch the length of play and one stand (the East) would be further away from the pitch than it is now until it too was demolished and rebuilt 
  • Can't we do what Wet Sham did and get the tax payer to fund a new stadium. 
  • Football Manager has maximum capacity as 43000. FM is usually right about everything so I'm inclined to go with that ;-)
    Don’t know where 43,000 came from... it used to be set as 40,600, that was the capacity mentioned when the club announced the plans years ago. That included expanding the East Stand and Jimmy Seed Stand, including the corners.
  • I think we’re getting ahead of ourselves with all this stadium talk but surely a major consideration would be access/egress to the stadium in the first place. Charlton Station could barely cope when we regularly had crowds of 27,000 in the Premier, so would have no chance of handling 37,000 (or whatever figures being bandied about). Local buses couldn’t cope with shifting extra people to North Greenwich and the roads can’t cope as it is. The additional street parking would also be a problem as a resident only scheme is coming in for that part of Charlton. I think planning permission for any major expansion of The Valley would be far harder to achieve than previously was the case. 
  • Sponsored links:

• lungrot said:

I love this Pathe news clip from 1936. The commentator says that the crowd is 77,000. (With people climbing over the walls to get in free it could well have been). I also can't believe that people were watching from the roof of the North Stand. They wouldn't allow that now!

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/VLVA7OUIVEZLOFM7AA200QLT27FBP-ARSENAL-WINS-SOCCER-MATCH-AGAINST-CHARLTON/query/charlton+athletic

My grandparents and father were almost certainly there and possibly my great grandfather too. I know he (great grandfather) went to the Aston Villa game in 1938.
  • lungrot said:

I love this Pathe news clip from 1936. The commentator says that the crowd is 77,000. (With people climbing over the walls to get in free it could well have been). I also can't believe that people were watching from the roof of the North Stand. They wouldn't allow that now!

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/VLVA7OUIVEZLOFM7AA200QLT27FBP-ARSENAL-WINS-SOCCER-MATCH-AGAINST-CHARLTON/query/charlton+athletic

Imagine handing over one of your kids now standing at the back of the east terrace and watching him getting passed to the front and dropped a few times on the way. Those were the days.
  • Did you spot the bloke without a cap on?
  • Tom_Hovi said:
    I think we’re getting ahead of ourselves with all this stadium talk but surely a major consideration would be access/egress to the stadium in the first place. Charlton Station could barely cope when we regularly had crowds of 27,000 in the Premier, so would have no chance of handling 37,000 (or whatever figures being bandied about). Local buses couldn’t cope with shifting extra people to North Greenwich and the roads can’t cope as it is. The additional street parking would also be a problem as a resident only scheme is coming in for that part of Charlton. I think planning permission for any major expansion of The Valley would be far harder to achieve than previously was the case. 
    There is a difference now in that longer trains are now running on the line and there is a more frequent service. The Thameslink trains (2 an hour) are also helpful in that they are walk through so people can move down the train.