Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Albie Morgan---why didn't he play

Agree with everyone else that we played and fought so well against a very strong WBA team. I must admit, however, that I was surprised that Albie Morgan wasn't in the starting eleven and even more surprised that he didn't come on as a substitute at some time.
Is there a problem between him and Lee Bowyer, or was he recovering from illness or a minor injury because surely he should have started in place of Ben Dempsey.

Comments

• I don’t think Bowyer rates him that highly at the minute. Maybe the right call that yesterday’s game wasn’t suited to him. 
  • Dempsey does what Morgan doesn't do when the opposition have the ball.
    But so much less when he has it .  Personally I haven’t seen this lack of defensive diligence in Albie but I’ll bow to LB’s far superior football knowledge 
  • We have three centre backs, two wingbacks, and at least one defensive midfielder - that's six players already in the back third of the pitch (that's where they should be, anyway).

On top of that we often have Conor tracking back, and Lyle (when he's fit).

Whilst Albie shouldn't let his man run past him without a chase I don't think we need him constantly going back to help the defence - too many cooks and all that (as it is responsibility for players gets lost with too many defenders, just look at our rrcird defending corners and free kicks!).

I'd rather he was in the side for his energy in midfield, passing, and attacking prowess. Whose balls set up Macca's goal against Brizzle and sent him down the line to cross for Alfie's winner? That's what he's good at, that's what we need.

Get him in the side!
  • well well he was certainly in favour last season - started the vital playoff game against Doncaster 
  • Stats were posted on social media that he makes less than 1 clearance, a tackle and a key pass a game. 

I know we are frowned upon for making negative comments on academy players but he hasn’t progressed and needs game time at a lower level. I would have vennings and Dempsey ahead of him
  • Morgan is nowhere near good enough . Dempsey I didn’t notice really yesterday but Morgan is normally noticed more for giving the ball away or not doing what he should and I think Bowyer sees that 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    The simple reason Morgan didn't play was that his passing game, which is a real strength is not coming on and his off the ball play, whilst improving, is still well below what is required. Needs a loan to sort it out and become the player we know he can be.
  • I felt the game passed Dempsey by y’day, but he’s so young and is only just breaking into the team, hardly played any football, so I would never be too critical.  I’m sure Bowyer just felt he was the right man for that game and suited how he wanted to line the team up

my dad’s mate who sits next to me really winds me up as he’s constantly saying ‘why we starting so and so, or what’s Purrington playing for’.  He’s always been like that, but at the moment, it’s really grating on me because in the almost 2 years Bowyer has been in charge, his team selection has been 95% spot on.  
  • I thought Dempsey was doing well up to a point where he got caught in no mans land when we had been building an attack in their half. He was suddenly a player seen not doing anything when he needed to be going forward or moving to cover a pass. It was like his blood sugar levels had just plummeted. He was taken off soon after that moment.
  • Morgan has more impact as a sub and Bows doesn't see too much difference between the 2 for a game we will not dominate possession. 
  • Never seen a player so keen to get off when substituted than young Dempsey. Far too early for him in first team. But needs must I guess 
  • WBA are top for a reason, decent and strong side.   Albie is too lightweight and would have been easily bullied.  He really needs a loan to a L1 team and some more steel.
    Yes he does need a loan to a league 1 side to progress but the issue yesterday  was Morgan can play killer passes going forward : the great pass for Bonne goal against Bristol City. Some shots on goal that have been so close. When Dempsey and Vennings are getting on the pitch instead of you, then there must be a issue with Morgan and Bowyer not being on the same page. I wonder if Morgan being left out the 18 for Wembley and Reeves getting in still rankles with Morgan. Albie  did some great tackles in the City match no one else seemed to notice ?
    I agree he hasn't totally kicked on but still surprised other have got ahead of him. Not Alfie Doughty obviously who needs to be given a new contract ASP, but the other U21's 
  • Rotation? He’ll probably play the next game.
  • Also, Morgan has taken a knock in the last few games and limped off, so there may not have been a choice.
  • We had a break in the 1st half, ball on our left. Dempsey was in a great position to receive the ball in the centre with a clear sight of goal but he immediately dropped back and there was no-one to pass to. Exactly the sort of situation where Morgan would get the ball and fire at goal from about 25 yards. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Having space/picking the right pass all sounds fine, but Albie did go missing v Derby when we needed somebody to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and take it to the (10 man) opposition. 
  • Think that's quite likely chunes. Yesterday was very much about managing space effectively,  given the superior ball play West Brom demonstrated 
  • edited January 2020
    I think Dempsey played to negative a game yesterday. That being said he is a young lad, who has been asked to come in and play defensively against one of the best sides in the league, and he is not going to take any risks or make any mistakes. Which I don't blame him for.

• kentred2 said:
    Never seen a player so keen to get off when substituted than young Dempsey. Far too early for him in first team. But needs must I guess 
    Think that's harsh it would've looked worse for him to walk off slowly when were we behind. He also must've known his time was up as he was virtually running on empty at that point. 
  • Think I'll trust Bowyer who watches him train day in day out on this one.
  • Don’t mind playing 2 more defensive midfielders, if we have more attacking wing backs, which we did yesterday.

Dempsey was fine.
  • Dempsey does what Morgan doesn't do when the opposition have the ball.
    I don’t think Bowyer rates him that highly at the minute. Maybe the right call that yesterday’s game wasn’t suited to him. 
    Albie's still too prone to switching off/drifting out.  Ben stuck to his role, sure he lacks Albie's breadth of passing but he was the horse for yesterday's course.  Both will have their place in Charlton's midfield of the future.
  • kentred2 said:
    Never seen a player so keen to get off when substituted than young Dempsey. Far too early for him in first team. But needs must I guess 

Getting off and not wasting time is exactly what's required when there's a game to be won - several of his colleagues could take note, team game 101.
  • Albie is having a decent season but not enough to make him a must pick player .. Bowyer likes hard workers and t b h Morgan is not what I consider a workaholic