Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brennan hi fi box

Are they worth buying?

Comments

• Can you get them for £1.50 less than you thought?
  • What's a hi fi box?
  • iainment said:
    Are they worth buying?
    Just googled it. Bloody expensive for what is essentially a hard drive...
  • We have one of older versions and it was great when it first come out, disconnected it and connected a Alexa we got for Christmas that plays through the amp. Wouldn’t buy one now, when there’s better cheaper options available. 
  • So, as an ignoramus, what way of providing music to your home is best?
  • iainment said:
    So, as an ignoramus, what way of providing music to your home is best?
    If you already have a hifi system, just buy an Alexa and plug it in the amp or the TV/surround sound if you don’t. Maybe add Sonos speakers and connect to that. 
  • edited January 2020
     Brennan B2. Marketed as a hifi jukebox which stores songs on its hard drive in CD quality. Basically a raspberry pi hard drive you can plug into speakers.

I’ve had one for about two years. 

Had trouble at the start as needed to get the cd drive replaced, which they did for me. Also had a phone call from Martin Brennan himself when I was having trouble.

Looking at the Brennan forum, it looks like it is now possible to transfer uploaded cds to the Brennan from a pc using Wi-fi.

My main issue with it when I got it was there was no on and off switch so always had to go off at the mains which was a pain in the arse.

However the current models now have an on off switch.

Nifty bit of kit. Also can be upgraded online. But the main problem for some is that it’s fine if you are tech minded and you want to be involved in developing it further, but if you just want to have something stable that just does one thing (plays music) it is not perhaps as reliable as it could be, and it does cost 500 notes.
  • T_C_E said:
    iainment said:
    So, as an ignoramus, what way of providing music to your home is best?
    If you already have a hifi system, just buy an Alexa and plug it in the amp or the TV/surround sound if you don’t. Maybe add Sonos speakers and connect to that. 
    I’m resistant to Alexa. I suppose want a self contained music system that doesn’t give my data up.
    Is there anything that doesn’t that?
  • I must admit to not being a hifi buff, so I tend to rip my CDs as MP3 files to play on my phone, and if I want to listen in the living room, Bluetooth them from my phone to my relatively basic hifi system, rather than playing the CDs themselves!
  • edited January 2020
    I've got Sonos around the house and a NAS drive with my music on, you can pick what you want to hear from a number of items.
  • Sponsored links:

• I would still be using the Brennan had I not got Alexa for Christmas. 
    Suits our purpose and much more user friendly for us.
  • Brought one of the first ones , had to go back a few times with issues , if you have a lot of music it is very time consuming loading disc on to it, and bit slow if you want to down load from it , would i buy the newer one ........ no. 
  • I have a Hitachi Super Woofer 
  • Pringle said:
    I have a Hitachi Super Woofer 
    I think you have nailed the reasons for not getting one. They are a great idea in principle but uploading vinyl takes the time it takes to play the whole album and digital streaming makes all other content redundant.
  • Hello, is that Currys? I’d like to make an enquiry about two supplementary auxiliary speakers, to go with my midi hi-fi system. Apropos, achieving surround sound
  • To answer original question - yes if you've got loads of CDs, have the patience to load them and want to store and play through existing hifi in lossless FLAC format without having to hook PC or laptop up to your hifi.

Also useful for internet radio and yes you can transfer stuff from your computer over wi-fi.

Remote is crap, but you can control it via your phone.

If your music is already digitised then you're prob better off going down the Sonos/NAS route.