Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The First Film that REALLY Scared you as a kid!

Just reminiscing about old scary movies (no not YouTube's clips of Millwall derby games) that I saw, or rather hid from as a kid. 

I recall being about 6-7 and looking through the crack in door as parents were watching Omen (Original film) and being absolutely terrified to the point I couldn't move to go and hide in bed. 

Comments

• Halloween.
  • American werewolf in London
  • Paranormal Activity
  • Not full film but trailer on the tv........The Shining. When Jack attacks the door with the axe and then sticks his head through. 
  • edited January 2020
    ‘Invasion of the Body Snatchers’ (with Donald Sutherland).
    Also ‘Jaws’. Was too scared to have a shower after watching it.
  • Carrie and The Shining
  • Jaws if i remember rightly,weird I know but after seeing it,I used to go to bed,tuck me arms & legs in tight,so nothing was hanging over the side,in case I was pulled under it...I was about 10 when I watched it.
  • Depends if we're talking the first film that scared you or the first scary film. The "Night on a Bare Mountain" segment from Fantasia gave me the absolute willies, as did the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but neither of those are really what you'd call scary films. First proper scary film was Jaws when I was about 8.
  • Sponsored links:

• I rarely watch horror films but I remember Angel Heart was both scary and disturbing. I finished watching it in the middle of the night and couldn't fall asleep. I always liked Robert De Niro but I just couldn't watch anything he was in for months after having watched Angel Heart.
  • Frankenstein - the one where Boris plays The Monster.  Strangely, though, not at the time, when I was eleven, but months later and in the middle of a bright summer day.

I watched The Exorcist when it first came out, so I'd have been fifteen, and it had no effect on me.  I then watched it again about eight years later and it scared the bejeezus out of me.
  • The Omen 
  • Edward Scissorhands
  • TELTEL
    edited January 2020
    The Exorcist. Still has a real scary presence to this day. Saw it first in 1974. When I was a kid Quatermass and the pit scared me to death 😊
  • Jaws. 
    When the head rolls down the porthole on the sunken boat was a scene that scared life out of me. 

After that A Nightmare on Elm Street 
  • Child’s Play
  • Event Horizon
  • The Omen 
  • Sponsored links:

• Friday 13th watched it at mates house when 12. I also shit myself when my dear old mum was watching and screaming at Salem’s Lot downstairs 
  • edited January 2020
    Nightmare on Elm Street, came out early 80's and I'd have been about 8/9 when I remember watching it at a mates on video and it proper shit me up
  • edited January 2020
    Carrie and The Shining
    Same here ... Right at the end of Carrie, that’s a real jump out of your skin moment. As for the Shining ...  Here’s Johnny (and that’s not Johnny Williams) 

edit: The Fog (OMG)
  • Halloween.
    Glad to see this was the first answer. It didn't just scare me. I'd say I was genuinely traumatised. Took months to get over it. 
  • 'Psycho' terrified me and put me off motels and showers for years.
  • Psyco. Saw  it on the big screen.

The Exorcist
  • Dracula Has Risen From The Grave. Saw it when I was 10 or 11. Scared me shitless. Seen it as an adult, what a pile of shite.
  • I watched Scream when I was a kid and it f***ed me up