Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fires in Australia

Thoughts are with all caught up in any way with the horrendous fires sweeping through parts of Australia.  I understand a temperature of over 48 degrees C was recorded yesterday.  The hottest spot on the planet.

There are many Aussie Addicks.  I hope you guys are safe and sound.

Comments

• Spent Xmas and New Years over here. Last night in Melbourne tonight then flying home. Smoke is quite bad in some cities like sydney and in Tasmania. But here in Melbourne it’s a bit clearer. Surprising considering the worst of the fires are here. 
  • This appears to be the future for Australia if climate change keeps warming up the planet - what plans can be made?
  • Climate change is probably a factor but this is more a case of it being a ‘perfect storm’. A very long dry period, unprecedented high temperatures and, most importantly, very strong winds fanning the flames. Without the winds most of the fires would have been easily brought under control. It’s an horrific situation out there at the moment and thoughts are with everyone caught up in it. 

• Climate change is probably a factor but this is more a case of it being a ‘perfect storm’. A very long dry period, unprecedented high temperatures and, most importantly, very strong winds fanning the flames. Without the winds most of the fires would have been easily brought under control. It’s an horrific situation out there at the moment and thoughts are with everyone caught up in it. 

You can look forward to droughts and high temperatures in the future leaving you at the mercy of the winds if fires start. It might be a 'one-off' or a sign of future problems?

• ozaddick said:
    A disaster is putting it mildly. We had the hottest December on record in WA. (Western Australia). January isn’t any better. It’s not usually this hot. And there isn’t any cooler weather predicted for months. 

We have had massive finance cuts to the rural fire services that have come back to bite hard.

Back burning, which is necessary to alleviate bush fires, ( even the indigenous land owners knew of its importance before us immigrants turned up) haven’t been carried out, due to the cuts, and the ‘greens’ said it wasn’t needed. Stupid stupid people. 

To top it off the prime minister, who is a complete fuckwit, excuse my language, has said that the economy is more important right now. He also piss farted around and went on holiday to his ‘mate’ Murdoch, whilst lives, homes and the animal kingdom burnt. It’s been sickening to see. 

He’s shown as much leadership as a fecking finger puppet. I detest the man. 

He also sold off huge water reserves to foreign private companies for mining, whilst Australia is suffering from a horrendous drought. This has also been a factor. 

The country is burning, millions upon millions of acres. 

The ice caps and mountains  of New Zealand are  coloured brown with the smoke from the fires. 

Australians are calling for help from the international communities, as ‘our’ government is inept. 

Millions of dollars have been raised by the Australian public to help the fire fighters, and other environmental groups that help with the wildlife that’s being wiped out.  

I’ve had friends who have had to evacuate their homes, it’s frightening to see them so upset.

As a trained firefighter through my employment I’m joining up to the volunteer fire service when I’m back from my swing offshore. They need as many hands as possible.  

Lastly, we’ve had arsonists lighting some of these fires, one who was in the volunteer fire service. Utter scum. 

The situation truly heartbreaking. 

I hope if you have any friends of family living here they are safe and sound. That goes to all the Aussie Addicks over here. 
    Wishing you all the best.
  • Saw this picture on Faceboook showing the area that is affected by fire mapped over the UK. Scary isn't it !!!!

• ozaddick said:
    A disaster is putting it mildly. We had the hottest December on record in WA. (Western Australia). January isn’t any better. It’s not usually this hot. And there isn’t any cooler weather predicted for months. 

We have had massive finance cuts to the rural fire services that have come back to bite hard.

Back burning, which is necessary to alleviate bush fires, ( even the indigenous land owners knew of its importance before us immigrants turned up) haven’t been carried out, due to the cuts, and the ‘greens’ said it wasn’t needed. Stupid stupid people. 

To top it off the prime minister, who is a complete fuckwit, excuse my language, has said that the economy is more important right now. He also piss farted around and went on holiday to his ‘mate’ Murdoch, whilst lives, homes and the animal kingdom burnt. It’s been sickening to see. 

He also sold off huge water reserves to foreign private companies for mining, whilst Australia is suffering from a horrendous drought. This has also been a factor. 

The ice caps and mountains  of New Zealand are  coloured brown with the smoke from the fires. 

Australians are calling for help from the international communities, as ‘our’ government is inept. 

Millions of dollars have been raised by the Australian public to help the fire fighters, and other environmental groups that help with the wildlife that’s being wiped out.  

I’ve had friends who have had to evacuate their homes, it’s frightening to see them so upset.

As a trained firefighter through my employment I’m joining up to the volunteer fire service when I’m back from my swing offshore. They need as many hands as possible.  

Lastly, we’ve had arsonists lighting some of these fires, one who was in the volunteer fire service. Utter scum. 

I hope if you have any friends of family living here they are safe and sound. That goes to all the Aussie Addicks over here. 
    Nice to get a proper insight into the many reasons contributing to the current crisis, rather than uninformed people shouting climate change.

Hard to believe that dozens of people have been nicked for arson, utter scum.

I have a cousin living in Bairnsdale which, as of Thursday was pretty much cut off, devastating and incredibly frightening for her.

Stay safe Ozaddick.
  • Sponsored links:

• I agree,  this is exactly what foreign aid should be used for.  Australia is being let down and abandoned by the global community.  I hope they remember this when someone wants their help in future. 

I agree with the Aussie poster about their Prime Minister.  What an absolute wanker that man is. 

As for the opposition in this country,  this doesn't fit with their agenda.  They are far too busy protesting in central London and sticking up for terrorist regimes.  
  • We don't seem to be doing much HM Gov very quiet as is the opposition. A suggestion ,use some of the billions in the "over seas aid budget"  and put it into a disaster relief budget and send it now.
    I’d go as far to say that all our overseas aid budget be given to them this year.
  • ozaddick said:

I’ve just got off the phone to my brother who lives in Sydney and he said virtually the same as @ozaddick

• That's the smoke in Canberra where I live. 

My partner's parents were evacuated from their house in Batemans Bay. Her mum managed to drive up to Canberra while the roads were open. Her dad chose to stay to protect their house should any embers fly into their back yard and start a fire on their decking etc. He's got no electricity or lines of communication and is sleeping with one eye open. His house is insured so no one in the family can understand why he hasn't come up to Canberra too. 

Looks like there might be some showers tomorrow but won't be enough to douse the flames.

Echo the comments above about ScoMo. Pathetic leadership. 
  • Money in that budget goes to India and China !!!! So the "their rich it's not for them" is just bollox. It's been a busted flush for a least a decade ----- restructure it put a good % into a disaster relief budget and use it for that primary relieve in disaster situations. 

• Money in that budget goes to India and China !!!! So the "their rich it's not for them" is just bollox. It's been a busted flush for a least a decade ----- restructure it put a good % into a disaster relief budget and use it for that primary relieve in disaster situations. 

It's not bollocks at all. Australia has the money. It just isn't and hasn't been using it. That's why individual Australians have said "fuck you, Morrison, we'll do it ourselves." The "global community" , that is to say, ordinary people who can afford something, have already responded. Stick some money into Celeste Barber's fund if you can,every little counts, but FFS stop trying to score political points about UK politics, that's pathetic.
    How is it political point scoring ? I would suggest it’s better use of our OA budget than is the case currently. 
    Maybe calm down a bit too. So touchy.
  • It seems numerous Australians are unhappy with the response of their government - resources are not  being used effectively.
  • Sponsored links:

• It seems numerous Australians are unhappy with the response of their government - resources are not  being used effectively.
    I’m sure they are and I wouldn’t blame them. I’m also sure there are many people around the world who are unhappy with their governments, to whom we do throw money to.
  • edited January 2020
    Who is making political points ? I have said the money would be better spent on disaster relief !!! That's it --- not that it exists .

As for ANYONE  here bleating on about politics i suggest you look in the mirror chief as hardly any of your posts fail to mention the B word
  • E_cafc said:
    I agree,  this is exactly what foreign aid should be used for.  Australia is being let down and abandoned by the global community.  I hope they remember this when someone wants their help in future. 

I agree with the Aussie poster about their Prime Minister.  What an absolute wanker that man is. 

As for the opposition in this country,  this doesn't fit with their agenda.  They are far too busy protesting in central London and sticking up for terrorist regimes.  
    I’m very much an Englishman mate! I’ve just chosen to live here, can’t remember the reason! ;) 

It's not bollocks at all. Australia has the money. It just isn't and hasn't been using it. That's why individual Australians have said "fuck you, Morrison, we'll do it ourselves." The "global community" , that is to say, ordinary people who can afford something, have already responded. Stick some money into Celeste Barber's fund if you can,every little counts, but FFS stop trying to score political points about UK politics, that's pathetic.
    So do lots of countries we help, doesnt stop us giving them aid.

This is absolutely a global incident so everyone should be pitching in to help the Aussies.
  • I have friends and relatives in Australia who are now thinking of leaving the country. It's only likely to get worse, and with a carbon based economy (coal exports being critical) the future looks grim. I agree with the idea of sending aid. How many billions were raised for the restoration of a cathedral? 
  • Hmmm. Got a work trip / holiday coming up to Aus soon. Melbourne-Brisbane-Sydney then Perth / WA. Kind of dreading it. Heartbreaking interview with one of the fire fighters on R5L this morning.
  • The excellent DEC collection of UK charities are usually quickest to respond, but nothing on Fire assistance on their website...in fact no evidence of emergency aid going to any economically more developed countries.
    https://www.dec.org.uk/how-we-work

Nothing from DFID either, though they focus on longer term development. (UK is the only major economy reaching UN 0.7% overseas aid target - something to be proud of.)
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-aid

which suggests the best 'we' can do to help is directly, via the weblinks Prague supplied.