Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Recs for new tablet (android not ipad)

My current tablet is on it's last legs and I need to replace it. I have a Google Nexus from 2013 but I don't think these are being made any more. I don't want an Amazon Fire as I want full access to Google Play apps and not just what Amazon want me to have and I don't like Apple products so don't want an ipad. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced android tablet? 

Comments

• Wilma said:
    My current tablet is on it's last legs and I need to replace it. I have a Google Nexus from 2013 but I don't think these are being made any more. I don't want an Amazon Fire as I want full access to Google Play apps and not just what Amazon want me to have and I don't like Apple products so don't want an ipad. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced android tablet? 

I'm in the same boat.  My Google Nexus 7 has been brilliant but as far as I have been able to work out by comparing current tablets, the best replacement for it would be another Google Nexus 7!
  • Samsung Galaxy Tablets are the best, if the 6 is too pricey look at the S5e
  • Galaxy Tablet 10.1 (has to be the 2019 model)...£199.
  • We'll be getting newun over the next couple of months and have opted for a Galaxy (not sure exactly which one yet), purely because we both get on really well with the phones.
  • maybe get a Chromebook?
  • You can get the full Google Play store on Amazon Fire...

I still wouldn't as their batteries are awful, just like the build quality. 
  • My son got a Huawei T5 10.1" for Xmas. He seems very happy with it. It cost around £130 and has more ram than the Samsung equivalent.
  • I have a Fire 7 and have google play on it. It’s a bit clunky but allows me to stream Netflix, watch TV use banking app and look at BBC and Charlton Life, for £30 it’s fine, didn’t need anything else.
  • When you say "On its last legs" what do you mean?  If it's just the battery buy a replacement for around a tenner.  (Some come with the tools - the little plastic things are the important bit.)  The how to videos on YouTube show you how easy it is (compared with some other brands - you know who they are).
  • cafcfan said:
    When you say "On its last legs" what do you mean?  If it's just the battery buy a replacement for around a tenner.  (Some come with the tools - the little plastic things are the important bit.)  The how to videos on YouTube show you how easy it is (compared with some other brands - you know who they are).
    The touchscreen is getting very unresponsive, the battery is okay but the charging point is a bit battered and have to get the lead in just the 'right' place to get it to charge. Also occassionally just turns itself off with no warning! 

Thanks for all the responses. I will definitely have a look at Galaxy tablets. Not sure about Huawei as worried about what Trump's tantrums might mean for future usability (I already have an Honor phone and worry about apps disappearing etc.). Chromebook a bit too expensive for me and for what I want it for.