Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dry Jan / Vegan Jan/ Veggie Jan / No Smoking Jan (any other Jan intentations) Thread

Any one attempting to follow any of the above, or anything else, in the New Year?

Let us know what you are planning and keep us up to date with progress please.

(no comments please on what a load of b****cks you think it all is etc. will just delete them)

Comments

• Dryish January in that I won't drink at home BUT will drink when out socially which will over halve my drinking intake for the month
  • Veganuary for me, my very kind wife got me a vegan week of gousto for Xmas, so that should make the first bit easy enough. 

@Dazzler21 why does doing veganuary mean dry January by default? Or have I missed the point in your comment. 
  • Sorry that's my fault.

Dry January is by default for me as I tend not to drink alcohol often anyway. 
  • Thank god, not giving up cheese and beer! Will cut back that too though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2019
    Have not given it a lot of thought this year but will likely attempt a dry Jan/Feb.  Have managed successfully last 2 years and always feel better for it.  I did once try vegan Jan but found myself tucking into a chicken burger at 2am evening of Jan 2nd in Croydon so not tried again since!

I could do with 2020 being the year I finally lose weight, get a little fitter and de-stress as I am heading to mid 40's and it is catching up with me.
  • Been really lazy exercise wise since I cycled LEJOG back in September. Weekly average miles went from 250 to 75-80.

Gym membership sorted. Back to at least 150 miles a week on the bike and at least 2 gym visits a week.
  • Already a veggie but going to try and eat more Vegan stuff. Most likely do dry January as well - quite enjoy having a month off, not that I drink regularly anyway
  • Not any one thing but a general cut back. Will try and eat less meat, I don’t drink a huge amount but will try and cut back and will try and go to the gym more regularly (I’ve just got back and was absolutely knackered after an hour). 

Need to get back on track with the diet after caning it over the Christmas period but am not going on a strict one, just moderating what I eat. It’s impossible for me to give up the odd curry or two.
  • Gousto’s vegan burgers are good 👍🏻
  • Been really lazy exercise wise since I cycled LEJOG back in September. Weekly average miles went from 250 to 75-80.

Gym membership sorted. Back to at least 150 miles a week on the bike and at least 2 gym visits a week.
    I really need to get out on my bike more too. Problem is, I hate riding on the road in daylight, let alone during these dark days of winter. 
    But cheese isn't vegan? and nor is a lot of beer
  • edited December 2019
    Walking dry veg for me. I've gone from 13 stone to 17.5 stone in 5 years and I don't want a heart attack.
  • I have started eating more veggie food in recent months and that will definitely continue. Until recent times, I hadn’t realised how tasty such food can be these days. 

Been ill with some kind of bug for last two to three weeks and had no alcohol over Xmas period ... so I will certainly be having a drink in January to make up for it ... then cutting back for a few weeks. 

Biggest thing for me will be to cut back on bad carbohydrates, time to lose weight as I have put on far too much in the last 12 months. 
  • Dry January for me. 

I would like to make 2020 a year of cutting back drinking anyway so will be using this as a good start. 

I don’t drink at home but do love away day beer and pub session so that is where I will find it difficult 

• Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Sounds silly but I am going to do something that gives me joy, real joy, every day in January.   I don't mean things I like doing that I do daily anyway.  I mean something that actually makes me positively happy. 

I did it a couple of years ago and the effect on my general well being was amazing. 
    Out of interest what sort of things? If you don’t mind me asking? 
    But cheese isn't vegan? and nor is a lot of beer
    Sorry, should have said not giving up beer as well as cheese.

Aware to watch out on the alcohol front regards vegan stuff. 
  • edited January 2020
    Right.  As soon as I've finished this bottle of Cava I'm giving up booze.  Once the frozen casserole is done I'm giving up meat.  And once I've got over my hangover I'm going for a good walk.

I'm serious.
  • edited January 2020
    Solidgone said:
    Im gonna get pissed every day in January and eat tons of chocolate. Increase my weight to at least 17 stone. Take up smoking again and do loads of drugs. And get one of those e-scooters so I don’t have to walk anywhere. 

Been there.  Done it.