Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Away Coach Travel

Historically our away support has been one of the worst in the country.

Since Portsmouth in 2018 we have seen a massive upturn in numbers travelling around the country.  Hopefully the new board will introduce a quicker and cheaper service for the fans who like to travel by coach.

80 minutes from Larkfield to Charlton is a nonsense.

Comments

• Stupid place to finish late late at night too . Should go on to maidstone . I’d go away more midweek if it went to maidstone where your able to get a cab . 
  • A couple of blokes who run the Hastings supporters branch have been in dialogue with the club for years over the effective running of home and away coaches. But staff cuts at the club have meant that that fewer staff resources have been allocated  -its now a very small part of one overworked person's role I believe.I wonder which CEO instigated the resource cuts...
  • edited December 2019
    A couple of blokes who run the Hastings supporters branch have been in dialogue with the club for years over the effective running of home and away coaches. But staff cuts at the club have meant that that fewer staff resources have been allocated  -its now a very small part of one overworked person's role I believe.I wonder which CEO instigated the resource cuts...
    As I’ve said before, away coach travel makes money. The way the club currently operates it minimises the profit it makes. Paying it little or no attention has nothing to do with economising, it is just foolishness from senior management with no understanding or interest.
  • A couple of blokes who run the Hastings supporters branch have been in dialogue with the club for years over the effective running of home and away coaches. But staff cuts at the club have meant that that fewer staff resources have been allocated  -its now a very small part of one overworked person's role I believe.I wonder which CEO instigated the resource cuts...
    As I’ve said before, away coach travel makes money. The way the club currently operates it minimises the profit it makes. Paying it little or no attention has nothing to do with economising, it is just foolishness from senior management with no understanding or interest.
    ie., can’t be bothered, too much hassle, why should I bother helping them out when I don’t need to. 

Cheers Tone 
  • First time getting the coach today.. 
    where is the Bexleyheath pick up? 
    Ta 
  • iamdan said:
    First time getting the coach today.. 
    Ta 
    Your joking right?
  • Redrobo said:
    iamdan said:
    First time getting the coach today.. 
    Ta 
    Your joking right?
    We're away tonight 
  • Why would I joke? 
    First time getting the coach and unaware where the pick up is..
  • iamdan said:
    Why would I joke? 
    First time getting the coach and unaware where the pick up is..
    It is on the CAFC website and I would have thought that one would check pick up points before booking to get the closest.

It is not in Bexleyheath unless things have changed, it is a bus stop near the Blackprince.

Used to be the clock tower many moons ago.
  • Couldn’t see it on the website so thought I’d double check on here.
    its Hall Place, thanks. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2019
    I can't find it on the website, but I believe it has always been on Albion Road Bexleyheath, for about the last 30 years.
    Poor form by Redrobo to take the pee, when he doesn't know the answer himself for certain and is possibly wrong.
  • I can't find it on the website, but I believe it has always been on Albion Road Bexleyheath, for about the last 30 years.
    Poor form by Redrobo to take the pee, when he doesn't know the answer himself for certain and is possibly wrong.
    Changed apparently, I also believed it was Albion Road - cafc ticket office say HP. 
  • Disappointing that its changed to Hall Place... I guess you've got the free (?) Car Park down there but Albion Road was bloody convienent for getting public transport away from Bexleyheath afterwards
  • It also takes an hour to get from Bexleyheath to Charlton so even if you got on a 486 bus from Bexleyheath to Charlton it'd still be quicker than the coach and saves an unnecessary extra hour on it.
  • edited December 2019
    clive said:
    Full list of pick-up points,which no longer appears on club website.
    Larkfield – Kingfisher Road sheltered bus stop, by Martin Square.
    Gravesend – bus stop by old A2 Tollgate underpass
    Dartford (1) – Heath Lane, by retail park at junction with Princes Road. 
    Bexleyheath – Hall Place car park. 
    Bromley – Bromley North Station.
    Eltham – Well Hall Road junction with Dickson Road. 
    Charlton – Anchor & Hope Lane Bus stop.

Also,it takes 2 hours from Larkfield to Charlton.
    Blimey, I imagine you could do Derby in about 3 hours by car if you put your foot down.
  • I hate coaches, first time I’ve ever got one for an away, but the train situation left me no other choice. Is it definitely hope and anchor for Charlton? 
  • clive said:

Pick up points is on the web site under Valley Express pick up times and locations for home games.

I thought he was joking because everyone takes the piss out of the service and where from and when seem to be essential information before booking.
  • clive said:

Also,it takes 2 hours from Larkfield to Charlton

Hall Place Car Park is actually Bexley not Bexleyheath

• Sponsored links:

• clive said:

Blimey, I imagine you could do Derby in about 3 hours by car if you put your foot down.
    You could do it comfortably in that time without putting your foot down.
  • edited December 2019
    Last time I got the coach was to tranmere
    Pick up at 6.30
    And was still south side of the river at 9
    Needless to say we missed the 3 o'clock kick off and the only charlton goal
    Never again
  • I have not travelled by coach many times, normally used as a last resort.

My main criticism of them has been the time they arrive at the ground.  Too many times they have arrived with barely 30 minutes before kick off.  I would have thought to be at the ground an hour before kick would allow people time to relax with something to eat and drink.
  • edited December 2019
    A couple of blokes who run the Hastings supporters branch have been in dialogue with the club for years over the effective running of home and away coaches. But staff cuts at the club have meant that that fewer staff resources have been allocated  -its now a very small part of one overworked person's role I believe.I wonder which CEO instigated the resource cuts...
    I think its wrong though Airman.
    Our wage bill is roughly £100,000 a week and the club try and turn a few hundred pounds profit on the coach.
    How about don't make a profit and in fact subsidize by £5 a passenger.
    The club loses £250 a coach no big deal.
    The big thing is though how many fans are put off going by coach because of the times and time it takes to get there?
    Derby 6hrs20 from Bromley.
    Swansea  7hrs10
  • edited December 2019
    clb74 said:
    Our wage bill is roughly £100,000 a week and the club try and turn a few hundred pounds profit on the coach.
    The big thing is though how many fans are put off going by coach because of the times and time it takes to get there?
    Swansea  7hrs10
    You don’t need to subsidise it. You price the coach to break even at 35 passengers, which means you can run two for a minimum of 70 people and the third one pretty much as soon as you have filled the second.

There are virtually no Championship fixtures for which you would only run one coach so there are no circumstances in which you need to plan for one coach, which is what the Bexleyheath to Bromley nonsense is about. 

They even planned Wembley for one coach, because there is no thought going into it.

You use Charlton or Bexleyheath as a hub and you can run any combination that numbers dictate.

A game like tonight is a four coach match, three absolute minimum. Most of the work is done by volunteers so there is a minimal staffing overhead, especially with internet booking. 

There will be the odd game where you get it wrong and lose money but over the season it’s a five-figure profit. We managed it in L1 - it’s much easier in the Championship.

• clb74 said:
    Swansea  7hrs10
    You don’t need to subsidise it. You price the coach to break even at 35 passengers, which means you can run two for a minimum of 70 people and the third one pretty much as soon as you have filled the second.

There are virtually no Championship fixtures for which you would only run one coach so there are no circumstances in which you need to plan for one coach, which is what the Bexleyheath to Bromley nonsense is about. 

They even planned Wembley for one coach, because there is no thought going into it.

You use Charlton or Bexleyheath as a hub and you can run any combination that numbers dictate.

A game like tonight is a four coach match, three absolute minimum. Most of the work is done by volunteers so there is a minimal staffing overhead, especially with internet booking. 

There will be the odd game where you get it wrong and lose money but over the season it’s a five-figure profit. We managed it in L1 - it’s much easier in the Championship.

I'd love to have known the thought process behind one coach to Wembley.