Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

March on the Valley

edited December 2019 in General Charlton
Hordes set out to visit the Charlton Athletic Museum, which is open today from 11 to 2.30.

Free entry to left of the big badge in Harvey Gardens.

Comments

• Suspect this is actually fans marching to QPR early 70s after meeting at the statue of Sir Henry Irving.

Can anyone confirm or even spot themselves?
  • Think it's a bit earlier than that 68/69?
  • @raytreacy69 is correct, definatley 60’s.
    possibly walking to millwall.

My brother and myself are there.
  • I can't see myself in that picture.  Probably because I wasn't born yet.
  • Suspect this is actually fans marching to QPR early 70s after meeting at the statue of Sir Henry Irving.

I’m pretty certain it is that 
    A fella I used to play cricket with and my old man played footy with at Metrogas is in the pic as a young lad and I’m sure we spoke about this pic a few years back , maybe one similar 
  • I can't see myself in that picture.  Probably because I wasn't born yet.
    Likewise - I'm far too young to have been in that picture.
  • I’ll go with 68/69 millwall or palace away.
    Possibly Daniel Day Lewis bottom right. His mum would’nt let him wear a scarf though.
  • Or after a bit of fixture checking..
    67/68. I think this was the season Qpr, palace and millwall were walked to.
  • It's August/September 1968 & the march is from the Valley to shithurst for a 3-3 draw against the Nigel's or the Glaziers as they used to be known. We were 2-0 up & let them back in the game & Harry Gregory missed a penalty. 
  • 68-69 I would say.
    Great picture 
  • Sponsored links:

• The guy to the right of the banner in dark top (red) carrying the red & white striped stick always wore a pair of trousers with one red leg & the other white.

• @raytreacy69 is correct, definatley 60’s.
    possibly walking to millwall.
    Do we know how many got there alive?

I’m pretty certain it is that 
    A fella I used to play cricket with and my old man played footy with at Metrogas is in the pic as a young lad and I’m sure we spoke about this pic a few years back , maybe one similar 
    If this was the picture that was in the VOTV sometime ago then I am sure I know someone in this picture.
  • Taken along the woolwich road thought it was a photo of QPR march late 60s
  • So what was the idea/point in walking to QPR?

Train strike? Sponsored walk? Something to do?
  • Off_it said:
    So what was the idea/point in walking to QPR?

Indeed. Love seeing old pics like this and understanding a bit more about the time 
  • How were the walks organised , no social media or mobile phones.
    As strange as it might seem now, things used to get organised pretty well before social media and mobile phones. Crazy isn't it.
    We did have phones you know. Just not mobile phones.
  • Off_it said:

I was only 12 at the time but i think it was more of making a statement . I don’t think anyone walked all the way to Qpr, we bunked on a train at New Cross.
    Perhaps someone else can confitm this was the game when Qpr’s drummer had his drum planted firmly over his head.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's August/September 1968 & the march is from the Valley to shithurst for a 3-3 draw against the Nigel's or the Glaziers as they used to be known. We were 2-0 up & let them back in the game & Harry Gregory missed a penalty. 
    My memory of this walk is getting on the 75 at the standard and rocking the bus as it went through Catford. The sounds of smashing glass and people running about when we arrived.
  • edited December 2019
    Hordes set out to visit the Charlton Athletic Museum, which is open today from 11 to 2.30.

Free entry to left of the big badge in Harvey Gardens.
    It’s interesting to see at least 3 Asian faces but i can’t remember such a thing as racism. We were all just Charlton, working class and mainly from Charlton.
  • That's a bloody good turnout! What a fantastic photo. 
  • Off_it said:

I was only 12 at the time but i think it was more of making a statement . I don’t think anyone walked all the way to Qpr, we bunked on a train at New Cross.
    Perhaps someone else can confitm this was the game when Qpr’s drummer had his drum planted firmly over his head.
    I think the day the QPR drummer wore his drum as a hat was early 70s from memory. 
  • Great photo.How did we ever survive without social media in those days!Seem to remember very early 70's after home games walking back to station and someone singing Charing X 12 o'clock if we were playing QPR Fulham etc next week and that's what used to happen.Happy days.Now rely heavily on what's app - Lots of us going to Preston-Young and Old.Happy days.
  • edited December 2019
    I remember the info for the upcoming away games would be passed around the Covered End during a home game.  

For London games you just went to Charing X usually and hung around outside the pubs down the stairs as the older lot would always be in them. 

Organising meetups with mates was as easy as it could have been back then. 
  • #If you're all going to (Watford) clap your hands#
    The next game seemed to be 'organised' organically the game before. Lots of word of mouth amongst like minded people usually did the trick. 
  • Those singing and clapping their hands also included many who never attended away games.
    My memory of this walk is getting on the 75 at the standard and rocking the bus as it went through Catford. The sounds of smashing glass and people running about when we arrived.
    Thats cheating :smiley:Most of us (& there were hundreds) walked all the way
  • Great photo.How did we ever survive without social media in those days!Seem to remember very early 70's after home games walking back to station and someone singing Charing X 12 o'clock if we were playing QPR Fulham etc next week and that's what used to happen.Happy days.Now rely heavily on what's app - Lots of us going to Preston-Young and Old.Happy days.
    Was loads of charing cross 12 o'clock type stuff but at times there were handwritten notes passed around although that might have been for the agro coaches as they were called. Pick up at the Valley after the pubs had closed friday night & off we'd go even if it was just to the midlands. Seems crazy now, can't imagine why we left friday night.