Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A bit of advice please

One of my mates lent another mate some money over the years, £10 here £20 there etc.
He may have lent/given him £200/£500 quite honestly he has no idea.
Anyway the borrower has always been/is a ducker & diver with drug issues etc, but says he wants to repay the money.
So the lender has asked me whether I think it's a good idea for him to give out his bank details.
I was wondering about paypal and although I have it, have only used it a couple of times so don't fully understand it.
Cash in hand is difficult due to the ducker & divers time keeping etc.
Thanks

Comments

• edited December 2019
    Paypal is very secure and, as you know, has the advantage of keeping secret the receiver's bank details. It is my default for online purchases and I have never had an issue.
  • What's wrong with paying the money back in cash?
  • I don't really understand the issue, if someone owes money regardless of their problems I would give bank details. They will not be able to hack in or whatever based on details to transfer money over.
  • What would be the issue with providing bank details?
  • RIB and IBAN numbers are water tight mate. Given ours out to 100s of strangers over the years, no problem
  • RIB and IBAN numbers are water tight mate. Given ours out to 100s of strangers over the years, no problem
    Okay, but if this person knows the account holder, they may have enough information to steal his identity and get access to the account.
    I like the Paypal idea better, personally.
  • He didn't want to give his bank details to someone in his 50's who has never had a stable job and had/maybe still has drug issues including heroin. I could continue .....
    NB as a point of discussion not an argument.
    If people are quite happy that there are no issues providing bank details (not saying you're wrong).
    I presume you would be happy to follow this post by providing your bank details to everyone on here?
    Interesting challenge, I'm not expecting anyone to do this, even though they appear to be saying there is no risk.
  • edited December 2019
    Bank details should be fine, there is very little you can do with them.
    401722 & 61263485
    Feel free to send me money :smiley: (You won't get it back if you decide to test it out)
    Edit - When you call any banking if you can't security questions correctly, then they should be asking about recent transactions, etc. Also, if you take that stuff seriously, the answers to your security questions should be wrong.
  • If it's PayPal just make sure payment is sent as a gift rather than for goods/services. Can be claimed back otherwise.
  • Sponsored links:

Okay, but if this person knows the account holder, they may have enough information to steal his identity and get access to the account.
    But the sole purpose of both is to give to people to pay money into your account. 
    But the sole purpose of both is to give to people to pay money into your account. 
    Don't PayPal charge fees as well?
  • cafcpolo said:
    RIB and IBAN numbers are water tight mate. Given ours out to 100s of strangers over the years, no problem
    Don't PayPal charge fees as well?
    Not too sure for a one off, but we started getting stopped money when it became more regular
  • I’m so confused. Why can’t he just pay him in cash?
  • edited December 2019
    JaShea99 said:
    I’m so confused. Why can’t he just pay him in cash?
    I've already said the guy is a ducking & diving heroin addict. He's totally unreliable.
    He wouldn't arrange a sensible location at a reasonable time and even if he did he probably wouldn't turn up.
    Plus they don't live particularly close to each other.
    PS thanks Polo, I've just completed my xmas shopping, very generous of you :smile:
  • JaShea99 said:
    I've already said the guy is a ducking & diving heroin addict. He's totally unreliable.
    He wouldn't arrange a sensible location at a reasonable time and even if he did he probably wouldn't turn up.
    PS thanks Polo, I've just completed my xmas shopping, very generous of you :smile:
    So why do you have any faith that he would send the money then??
  • Curb_It said:
    My bank details have been splashed all over here and twitter and FB for the last few years.  Never had a problem.  Well the only problem i currently have is that someone completely unrelated is paying pennies in to it randomly, and i've no idea how to tell them and the bank tells me they cant either.  I owe them 22.82.  
    Thanks B, if you could just transfer that back to my bank account that would be great. 
  • edited December 2019
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    So why do you have any faith that he would send the money then??
    He doesn't have much faith he'll send the money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Curb_It said:
    My bank details have been splashed all over here and twitter and FB for the last few years.  Never had a problem.  Well the only problem i currently have is that someone completely unrelated is paying pennies in to it randomly, and i've no idea how to tell them and the bank tells me they cant either.  I owe them 22.82.  
    I have just booked a couple of flights to New Zealand B however they are asking how long you have lived at your current address, can you PM me :-)
  • edited December 2019
    JaShea99 said:
    Haha, no worries.
    Doesn't look like you've spent that much...I assume the years grinder subscription was for yourself? ;)
  • How bizarre, no offence CE I assume you are old school? Not that I will just post my details on here like others have done , but I don't see how anyone will be able to do anything with it. The details provided for a Bank transfer aren't like your card number or anything which means you could be at risk for fraud. Literally all it will allow is for someone to send you money, nothing more, essentially more straight forward than paypal.

Maybe I am missing something here?

• How bizarre, no offence CE I assume you are old school? Not that I will just post my details on here like others have done , but I don't see how anyone will be able to do anything with it. The details provided for a Bank transfer aren't like your card number or anything which means you could be at risk for fraud. Literally all it will allow is for someone to send you money, nothing more, essentially more straight forward than paypal.

Maybe I am missing something here?

Exactly 
  • One of my mates lent another mate some money over the years, £10 here £20 there etc.
    He may have lent/given him £200/£500 quite honestly he has no idea.
    Anyway the borrower has always been/is a ducker & diver with drug issues etc, but says he wants to repay the money.
    So the lender has asked me whether I think it's a good idea for him to give out his bank details.
    I was wondering about paypal and although I have it, have only used it a couple of times so don't fully understand it.
    Cash in hand is difficult due to the ducker & divers time keeping etc.
    Thanks
    Can't he just ask for a cheque?  (Or, if the borrower doesn't have a cheque book, a counter cheque). 
  • You cannot now go into a bank with cash  and pay It into another persons account. There has to be a paper trail.  Tried to pay cash into my daughters account over the counter and was told, nicely,  to go forth and multiply. 
  • A credit note or bankers draft is the way to go.
  • I just go old school and will only barter goods to exchange.
  • bobmunro said:
    Paypal is very secure and, as you know, has the advantage of keeping secret the receiver's bank details. It is my default for online purchases and I have never had an issue.
    yup, agreed