Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Today’s Atmosphere

I’ve got to get it off my chest. I hate to say it but considering the magnitude of the occasion - the atmosphere today was possibly the weakest all season.

For years we’ve talked about what it would be like for the ‘first game after Roland sells’. 

I know it was was an early kick off and that we had a depleted team etc etc. But considering the efforts we’ve gone through as a fan base to try and rid the club of Roland, today felt like a bit of an anti-climax in the stands.

Am I being too harsh?

Comments

• Early Kick-Off probably didnt help
  • North stand done their best.
    But I know where you're coming from 
  • It was certainly a bit flat. 12:30 kick offs don’t help. There were a few hangovers being nursed today around where I sit - mine being one. 
  • Sounded good on telly 
  • Yep a lot of hangovers. Pretty cold too 
  • 24 hours notice to change your plans, it's a 12.30 kick off and on sky. Was only 15000 last week against Cardiff, looked far more than that today 
  • I'm usually more vocal in the East Stand but was surrounded by school kids today (thousands of the little bastards) who just leave me wanting the ground to open up as cant enjoy the game
    Only complaint would have been about the constant: "We got Roland out" chants etc.
    Didnt mind hearing it once but lets just forget about the c**t now please, lets move on and try to forget him
    If anything I don’t think there were enough of those chants! 
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:
    I’ve got to get it off my chest. I hate to say it but considering the magnitude of the occasion - the atmosphere today was possibly the weakest all season.

For years we’ve talked about what it would be like for the ‘first game after Roland sells’. 

I know it was was an early kick off and that we had a depleted team etc etc. But considering the efforts we’ve gone through as a fan base to try and rid the club of Roland, today felt like a bit of an anti-climax in the stands.

Am I being too harsh?
    No, it was my first game back in three years and I was expecting the atmosphere to be buzzing but totally underwhelmed!

As disappointing as the result was, it was totally meaningless in the great scheme of things.
  • At one point from TV I thought we were chanting "We're effing shite" which seemed harsh.
    Then heard from someone at the match that it was actually "We're effing rich"!
  • At one point from TV I thought we were chanting "We're effing shite" which seemed harsh.
    Then heard from someone at the match that it was actually "We're effing rich"!
    We're fkin rich was sung early on in the game for sure. 
  • It was a lot better than the Preston and Cardiff games.
  • Attendance was over 18,000. Crowd sounded good on the tv.
  • edited November 2019
    I think people need to manage there expectations re the crowd. Maybe reserve judgement until RD is actually gone and the deal has been signed off. 
  • edited November 2019
    Expect a lot of people had already made alternative arrangements. Lets face it, it came totally out of the blue, nobody seemed to know anything on here even though negotiations have been going on for four months. Amazed that no one heard even a whisper.
    Still can't believe that somebody that rich has bought CAFC :smiley:
  • I was listening to BBC London commentary for first 20 mins because effing Valley Pass was playing up. Andy Rowley said it was a long time since he'd heard us so loud. But I guess he didnt do the Doncaster playoff.
  • Have been to home games this season where the crowd was more up. 

If I’m in the covered end I tend to look down the west and east stands to see how far away people are engaged and the first part of the game it was nearly all. 

Unfortunately the timing of the game and the way it played out wasn’t ideal. There were still a lot missing who couldn’t rearrange so late.

Not our best effort 7/10
  • Sponsored links:

• Expect a lot of people had already made alternative arrangements. Lets face it, it came totally out of the blue, nobody seemed to know anything on here even though negotiations have been going on for four months. Amazed that no one heard even a whisper.
    Very odd how it came out of nowhere.
    The Kenyon connection must be the Americans?
    Read a few rumours on the immortal thread about a Middle East bid but not a lot tbf. It just got done quietly and quick maybe?
  • Wednesdays disallowed goal showed how vulnerable we are and killed the atmosphere a bit. It was still pretty good though.
  • The kick off time shouldn’t make a difference at all. If we kicked off at 12pm on a Sunday in a nothing game the atmosphere still should have been amazing. I didn’t understand it.
  • Expect a lot of people had already made alternative arrangements. Lets face it, it came totally out of the blue, nobody seemed to know anything on here even though negotiations have been going on for four months. Amazed that no one heard even a whisper.
    Very odd how it came out of nowhere.
    The Kenyon connection must be the Americans?
    Read a few rumours on the immortal thread about a Middle East bid but not a lot tbf. It just got done quietly and quick maybe?
    I think ‘out of the blue’ was always the more likely way, as opposed to it being leaked by someone who just happened to go to school with the buyer and was spouting rubbish for months and months.
  • Atmosphere in upper North nowhere near worst of the season. Good to be honest considering current run. 
    Fuck off Roland!
  • In the crowds defence today (if it needed defending) I was having a pint of fosters when I would normally be having tea and toast ffs. It’s a shocking time to be playing a game of football, no problem if getting up and switching on a tv but the game was kicking off before some people would normally be reaching the boozer for a 3pm kick off. In order to have a few beers which we all know aids and abets a decent atmosphere people would have had to be on the piss from 9.00am. But what do I know I’m only a new boy! 😉
  • The Royal Oak was pretty noisy and anti-Roland after. Most of our fans aren't CL members, they like to watch charlton or football and aren't as aware of Roland's shortcomings and lies. Same as the walk out at that Boro home game, what percentage walked out? Way less than 50%. It doesn't make the news any less momentous. 
  • cafctom said:

Am I being too harsh?

• I thought it was just me!!  I don’t know what I was expecting but it wasn’t what we got. I put it down to being in the posh seats but it all felt like an anticlimax. 
  • Contrary to others I thought it sounded flat on the box.

I think if the sale had occurred during some of the real bad times there would have been a more noticeable upturn. 

As it happens the support has been pretty damn decent for a while due to the end of last season, continuing into this season and the Bowyer affect.

Early kick-offs never help of course.