Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Energy Supplier

Want to change my Energy Supplier, and advice on good ones or bad.

Comments

• I recently switched to So. All good so far.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/energy/
  • Just go for whatever comes up cheapest for your use. Not like you get different quality electricity
  • edited November 2019
    I'm with Bulb, I like them. No fuss, app on the phone and their website are both great. It's simple to move your DD date. British Gas in comparison were awful. If you decide to sign up use this link and we both get a £50 credit: www.bulb.me/paulg8627
  • edited November 2019
    Which magazine rate Octopus at number one. Of the others I have heard of, Ovo is at 6, Utility Warehouse at 7 and Bulb at 8. Meanwhile, EDF is the highest big company at number 23.

• MrOneLung said:
    Just go for whatever comes up cheapest for your use. Not like you get different quality electricity
    True but level of customer service can make a difference. Used to be with Utility Point and trying to speak to someone was a nightmare. 
  • Avoid British Gas
  • Switched dual fuel from British Gas to SSE about a month ago.  Will be saving hundreds over the year.
  • I use Bulb, perfectly happy with them, and it's mostly green energy I believe
  • I’m with Octopus. Green energy and a useful app. If you’re in credit gives you the ability to change your monthly direct debit as and when.
  • Sponsored links:

• Igloo energy have been highly recommended by Martin Lewis' moneysavingexpert and it's a cheap variable tariff so if you join you can get the £50 bonus and then can switch to another provider to get another joining bonus soon after. 

Here's my link which would get us both £50

https://refer.igloo.energy/jackw9188
  • edited November 2019
    Just had the latest update email from MSE- recommending Igloo on a special exclusive tarriff. I switched on a previous MSE exclusive deal which almost halved my bills. This Igloo deal is for the first 11,500 customers to go with it. Well worth checking out, (doubt you will be able to combine with @CAFC, We hate Palace  discount but may be worth checking quotes via MSE and the above link from CAFCwehatepalace separately to see which comes out cheaper).

Incidentally i find it best to use actual usage figures (Kwh, Kwh or m3 for gas) when comparing rather than £spent or estimates. These figures will be on your latest bill from your current provider.  

"Winter’s coming, so we've negotiated a red-hot exclusive deal. It's the cheapest on the market on average and is from Igloo, a medium-sized firm with excellent service. As it looks like you’re on a variable tariff or in the last 49 days of a fix, you can switch penalty-free - so check how much you can save now"
  • I'm with Bulb - no problems and green energy.
  • Following CE’s advice, I’m probably going to use MSE to switch to a smaller supplier.

Igloo and Avro look the best for me at the moment.

Assume a 12 month fixed would be better than a Variable as aren’t prices due to rise soon?
  • I use "look after my bills" they keep you on the cheapest tariffs based on your usage.
  • Be mindful that the links with £50 off also give £50 off to the person  with the voucher which means the company have to recoup all that  so you might get a better rate
  • Following CE’s advice, I’m probably going to use MSE to switch to a smaller supplier.

Igloo and Avro look the best for me at the moment.

Assume a 12 month fixed would be better than a Variable as aren’t prices due to rise soon?
    I would fix, as an educated guess.
    Prices shot up in the last 6 months, but there's nothing to suggest they will fall in the next 12 months.
  • I have recently switched to Octopus and have been very impressed. 

I get a monthly email asking for my meter readings meaning noting is estimated, the web site is very user friendly and I can change my monthly payments to go up ad down with the seasons. 
  • I’ve recently left OctopusEnergy, they were good, my deal was coming to an end and found a cheaper deal with Green Energy via Martin Lewis.
  • edited August 2021
    Following one of my regular switching supplier sessions, I moved to Igloo.  Amazingly (for me) I have stayed with them for a few years now.
    They have only one tariff and seemingly decent customer service and their T&Cs are remarkably simple. One bonkers thing is that if you pay by direct debit and your account goes into credit, they pay you interest!
    The only slightly annoying thing if you aren't on a smart meter is that they do like a monthly meter reading which is a bit tedious.
  • Sponsored links:

I get a monthly email asking for my meter readings meaning noting is estimated, the web site is very user friendly and I can change my monthly payments to go up ad down with the seasons. 
    I used them, one month when I was away they estimated a read at an astronomical number however when provided with readings they have been fine

Lured me in a couple of years ago with a good deal as they all do. Very good customer service but disappointingly no loyalty shown at end of contract with their pricing so I moved on.
  • I used Bulb before moving away and I was a big fan. I was just living on my own in a one bed but my bills were very low. I got 2x £50 credits for getting a couple of mates on board as well which meant at one point I was paying less than £10 a month as I was just using the credit. It was really easy to change DD dates, and really easy to change how much you were paying. Definitely worth a look
  • Cheers all, one weird thing. 
    On MSE Cheap Energy Club I decided to go with Avro, but when forwarded to the site the prices was over £20pm more.
    I’ll revisit MSE, just in case I put the numbers wrong in the Cheap Energy Club.
  • Cheers all, one weird thing. 
    On MSE Cheap Energy Club I decided to go with Avro, but when forwarded to the site the prices was over £20pm more.
    I’ll revisit MSE, just in case I put the numbers wrong in the Cheap Energy Club.
    Check the unit prices/energy prices and standing charges, not just the monthly payments.
  • edited August 2021
    Cheers all, one weird thing. 
    Check the unit prices/energy prices and standing charges, not just the monthly payments.
    I guess Low Energy users want low standing charge and higher unit price and High Energy Users (family of five and an gas Aga on for 5 months) want a higher standing charge and lower unit price?
  • Which magazine rate Octopus at number one. Of the others I have heard of, Ovo is at 6, Utility Warehouse at 7 and Bulb at 8. Meanwhile, EDF is the highest big company at number 23.

Some people who left the energy consultancy Ms AA works for set up Octopus.