Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro Millions

Does anyone else think they should cap the jackpot to £10m - £15m, creating more winners, instead of giving over £100m to one person?

Comments

• the bigger jackpots drive the sales though. 

• MrOneLung said:
    the bigger jackpots drive the sales though. 

Wouldn't cutting the odds also drive the sales too, all be it for a smaller amount?
  • Yup. At 2.50 a ticket I’d rather have a chance Of winning a million pounds a hundred times than only one ticket worth 100 million. I’d also like to see the prizes spread around the lower levels. If I thought I had a chance of winning 5 grand for three numbers rather than a few quid I’d buy 4 tickets rather than 1 (or none as a the case may be). 
  • Every time I see adverts etc for these 100m+ prizes I say the same.

i think everyone would rather more winners of a smaller prize
  • Yup. At 2.50 a ticket I’d rather have a chance Of winning a million pounds a hundred times than only one ticket worth 100 million. I’d also like to see the prizes spread around the lower levels. If I thought I had a chance of winning 5 grand for three numbers rather than a few quid I’d buy 4 tickets rather than 1 (or none as a the case may be). 
    The odds of getting 3 numbers are 313/1 so good luck getting 5 grand 
  • They've done research on this and sales go up when there is a bigger jackpot.

It's a psychological thing.  People would rather buy a ticket to win £100m rather than just £10m, odd as it sounds.

• There's loads of other games for those that would be happier with a smaller jackpot.
  • Do you know what, the thing I feel uncomfortable about is that everybody knows who these people are. It has the potential to damage unless you believe money is everything in life. Ideally you would ease yourself into the changes this money will bring. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I find that often those who want the prizes capped don't even buy lottery tickets.
    FWIW I wouldn't want to win a mega jackpot but don't think it should be capped.
    Now where's me ticket from last night, I haven't checked it yet.
  • if I won a mega jackpot i'd get it in the bank then give myself a few months to work out the direction I/we would go with it. Who can you help? How can you make sure your friends are your friends. What about your life are you reluctant to lose? etc...
  • iainment said:
    I find that often those who want the prizes capped don't even buy lottery tickets.
    FWIW I wouldn't want to win a mega jackpot but don't think it should be capped.
    Now where's me ticket from last night, I haven't checked it yet.
    You've had this very conversation with enough people to ascertain this? You said often, which implies there were some people who either do the lottery and wanted it capped, or people that don't do it and never wanted it capped. Just out of interest, how many people have you spoken to about this?

We do it, not every draw, but at least twice a month
  • I think it would be quite awkward to just throw money at family and friends. I'd personally ask if anyone was in the immediate shit, financially, and sort them out first. Then go from there. I think just saying there you are, there's £1m to spunk isn't the right way to go about it, but saying that, those around me would never need worry about money ever again 
  • Leave it as it is. I could change more lives for the better if I won £100m than if I won £10m.

• Leave it as it is. I could change more lives for the better if I won £100m than if I won £10m.

Okay, as long as you sort me out
  • leave it as it is, if i'm going to blow millions on coke i don't want it to leave me brasic 
  • edited November 2019
    And that is the crux of the matter. You have new problems to deal with by having the money. It might be easier to win a couple of million in many ways. Would winning £100m make you a hundred times happier? I think it could do the opposite. If he has £100 why doesn't he give me more etc...? Is this person being nice to me because I am so rich? How can you gain a new friendship? 
  • £100 million I'd be back to work on the Tuesday.
    Would of had some weekend though
  • And that is the crux of the matter. You have new problems to deal with by having the money. It might be easier to win a couple of million in many ways. Would winning £100m make you a hundred times happier? I think it could do the opposite. If he has £100 why doesn't he give me more etc...? Is this person being nice to me because I am so rich? How can you gain a new friendship? 

You worry about all of that and I'll enjoy all of my new found friends, lifestyle and yachts ;)

And yes, £100m would make me infinitely happier. I could give you a hundred million reasons why, too. 

• Sponsored links:

• And that is the crux of the matter. You have new problems to deal with by having the money. It might be easier to win a couple of million in many ways. Would winning £100m make you a hundred times happier? I think it could do the opposite. If he has £100 why doesn't he give me more etc...? Is this person being nice to me because I am so rich? How can you gain a new friendship? 

You worry about all of that and I'll enjoy all of my new found friends, lifestyle and yachts ;)

And yes, £100m would make me infinitely happier. I could give you a hundred million reasons why, too

Go one then ;)
  • if I won a mega jackpot i'd get it in the bank then give myself a few months to work out the direction I/we would go with it. Who can you help? How can you make sure your friends are your friends. What about your life are you reluctant to lose? etc...

You're a better man than me.  That first few months would be gear and brasses if I won it!
  • You win a hundred million and get diagnosed with a terminal illness a week later. What is more important now? Of course we would all like a bit more money but if you can't be happy with what you have got, you might find after a time you are not as happy as you thought you would be with £100m. 
  • Sooner a terminal illness with a few million in the bank, than a terminal illness on the bones of me arse.

• edited November 2019
    My point was that there are more important things than money that we take for granted a bit. That is until we no longer have them.
    If somebody offered me £100m for my dog, I wouldn't sell him. I can say that in all honesty, I wouldn't even have to think about it. He is beside me now, and I am looking at something worth more than £100m to me. We can all be rich in different ways.
  • Mega jackpots create a huge amount of money for Lottery distributors like Sport England and UK Sport, the ability to fund at the level they do would be badly affected if jackpots were capped. But always good to see a 25 year old complaint come back again
  • You win a hundred million and get diagnosed with a terminal illness a week later. What is more important now? Of course we would all like a bit more money but if you can't be happy with what you have got, you might find after a time you are not as happy as you thought you would be with £100m. 

How about I don't. How about I win £100m and have the infinitely better life I outlined in my post?

How about you win a tenner on the lottery and then get diagnosed with a terminal illness. You'd able to console yourself that at least you didn't win a huge sum of money that would have helped you seek the best medical help to make your life as comfortable as it can be, given the circumstances.

• The point is not that getting a terminal illness comes with winning the £100m, but if it were to happen, you would instantly encounter something you had before the £100m that you may have taken for granted and is worth more to you than £100m. We will have lots of things in our lives that we might appreciate more. Maybe the resin trophies we won playing football. Maybe loved ones. Maybe the joy of finding a bargain or creating something.  
  • The point is not that getting a terminal illness comes with winning the £100m, but if it were to happen, you would instantly encounter something you had before the £100m that you may have taken for granted and is worth more to you than £100m. We will have lots of things in our lives that we might appreciate more. Maybe the resin trophies we won playing football. Maybe loved ones. Maybe the joy of finding a bargain or creating something.  

I don't take anything in my life for granted so can safely say that the scenario you're painting wouldn't happen. I cherish even the most basic of things in mine and my family's lives.

I'd thoroughly look forward to making a positive impact on other peoples lives.

I suppose it boils down to whether you're an optimist or a pessimist.