Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Gone downhill ever since
  • And I think it was about 1983 that we got our first colour TV!
    I remember kids at school talking about the incredible hulk turning green and I was none the wiser.
  • can the older ones among us confirm if you have black and white dreams?
  • My parents didn't get a colour TV until 1978 and even then the b&W TV was kept as a second set for several years so I would have been watching in b&w well into the 80s
  • My first view and programme was in my neighbour’s flat and it was Alias Smith and Jones. 
  • If I remember correctly the first UK colour transmission was on BBC2 and pre-dated the BBC1/ITV date.
  • Solidgone said:h
    My first view and programme was in my neighbour’s flat and it was Alias Smith and Jones. 
    Sadly not as good as Alas Smith & Jones.
  • can the older ones among us confirm if you have black and white dreams?
      Only with electric sheep.
  • Sponsored links:

• My first colour tv viewing was in a neighbours flat, Liverpool Arse Cup Final, Charlie George '71 ? Loved it
  • Glorious Technicolour  :)
  • If I remember correctly the first UK colour transmission was on BBC2 and pre-dated the BBC1/ITV date.

BBC2 broadcast its first colour pictures from Wimbledon in 1967. By mid 1968, nearly every BBC2 programme was in colour. Six months later, colour came to BBC1.

By 1969, BBC1 and ITV were regularly broadcasting in colour.

The number of households owning a colour TV licence shot up from 275,000 to 12 million by the early 70s

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/march/3/newsid_2514000/2514719.stm

• I remember my first one. It was around April 1970, I persuaded my wife that it would be good to have a colour TV and she agreed, just in time for the cup final, poor game between Chelsea and Leeds, but being in colour, I did not care
  • My first colour tv viewing was in a neighbours flat, Liverpool Arse Cup Final, Charlie George '71 ? Loved it
    Me too. Went to a relatives house to watch on their new colour TV. It would be years before we got one. I think I’d already left home. 
    Wasn’t that why it went from 405 lines to 625 lines ? And of course somebody then worked out you could run data over the lines at the top and bottom and not impact the tv picture  (correct me if I’ve got that wrong), which opened the way for teletext and ceefax and basically gave the uk email and a forerunner of the World Wide Web’s accessible information capability decades ahead of its time.
  • My dad got a new colour TV in time for the 1970 world cup, he rented it from Radio Rentals.
  • We had a colour tv as soon as it was available. My dad was a tv engineer funnily enough for Radio Rentals.
  • Solidgone said:h
    My first view and programme was in my neighbour’s flat and it was Alias Smith and Jones. 
    Sadly not as good as Alas Smith & Jones.
    I would have preferred Alas S&J as I’ve never liked Wild West films cowboys and injuns and couldn’t wait til it finished so I could go out and 
    play football. I wasn’t impressed with colour tv. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting though about dreaming in B&w. I will always remember the onslaught of colour when I went to my first gig as a kid to Lewisham odeon. Hermits, Freddie and the dreamers Tom Jones cliff Richard etc. 
  • My dad was a burglar, we had one the same time as Radio Rentals started stocking them. 😂
  • ross1 said:
    I remember my first one. It was around April 1970, I persuaded my wife that it would be good to have a colour TV and she agreed, just in time for the cup final, poor game between Chelsea and Leeds, but being in colour, I did not care
    Our first colour set appeared for the 1970 Chelsea v Leeds replay. It went back a week later.
  • I remember the day radio rentals delivered our first colour tv , England were playing France at Twickenham and won 16-0. Unforgettable day
  • Just checked we won 14-6 , 1973  :)
  • Just checked we won 14-6 , 1973  :)
    That set must have had shocking resolution for you to miss two French penalties Nick :-)
  • Our old black and white telly was a bit temperamental. 

My Dad would try to eke out a better picture every night by moving the aerial around and tweaking the little buttons for contrast, brightness, horizontal hold and vertical hold.  We all used to shout at him 'Just leave it alone, the picture's better than watching the back of your head!' 

The colour telly put a stop to all that thankfully, and we could call a real engineer if it went wrong.  
  • First colour set in 1982 - I was 17. We still had a portable black and white to watch in the back room. Got a video recorder the same time as the colour tv. It all felt like a big deal. All in time for the number of channels to go up to 4 - Channel 4 began broadcasting in November 1982.
  • It's amazing how many people used to rent a set. I suppose the prices were relatively high back then. Also they were were more prone to breaking down & as you rented one the company would repair it for free or replace it.
  • Nostalgia,
    I just remember the Montreal Olympics being an event around tv and colour.