Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Throw Ins

edited November 2019 in General Charlton
Serious question and something I have noticed over the last few years so not a new thing.

Why can we not taks throw ins.

You watch other teams and 8 or 9/10 throws go to there team mates, you watch us and 8 or 9/10 throws go to the other team.

As I said I have noticed this for a few years now so different players and managers but the same outcome

Comments

• He never took them for senior teams he played for, but I've seen Danny Shittu put balls in the box from our half, playing for the yuff. 
  • Sarr shouldn't be anywhere near taking them. The movement is often poor but they're usually either thrown to the opposition or at an awkward height. 
  • I mentioned this on the main thread, as they were especially bad yesterday. Why was Sarr taking them and not Purrington anyway?

Terrible movement from the other players doesn't help the thrower though. I sometimes wonder if players forget that they can't be offside from a throw!
  • I mentioned this on the main thread, as they were especially bad yesterday. Why was Sarr taking them and not Purrington anyway?

Terrible movement from the other players doesn't help the thrower though. I sometimes wonder if players forget that they can't be offside from a throw!
    I expect it's because it allows Purrington to move further forward giving another option for the taker, not that it worked at all. 
  • Talal said:
    I mentioned this on the main thread, as they were especially bad yesterday. Why was Sarr taking them and not Purrington anyway?

I expect it's because it allows Purrington to move further forward giving another option for the taker, not that it worked at all. 
    But we don't do that on the other side, Lockyer has never taken a throw for us.

• Talal said:
    I mentioned this on the main thread, as they were especially bad yesterday. Why was Sarr taking them and not Purrington anyway?

But we don't do that on the other side, Lockyer has never taken a throw for us.

True. Maybe that has to do with Pearce being in the middle of the 3, as he'd have to come further right if Lockyer took throws. 
  • Gallagher was the only player on the pitch making any movement to show for the ball from throw ins
  • Gallagher was the only player on the pitch making any movement to show for the ball from throw ins
    That has been the case for the last few games. It’s only really him or Williams that do that for us. 
  • Oh god.....dont get me started.....

I cant believe how many of our throws go backwards when we are 30 yards from goal. As pp said, it's the only time you cant be offside so fgs make the most of the that fact. A forward should be as near to the byeline as possible & the ball thrown to him. This does 2 things. One it immediately gets you further up the pitch & 2 it drags the opposition back towards their goal. Seems a no-brainer to me. 

And if you are thinking about "leaving space behind you for the opposition  to exploit" then you aren't the manager for me.

Perhaps this is why we have the least shots at goal of all 24 teams in this league. Not attack minded enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• The throw ins were a joke all game. 

I'm still yet to see another team in this league get a free kick in the oppositins half, play 5 passes and ends up playing it back to their own keeper. 

We do it at least once a game. 

I cant believe how many of our throws go backwards when we are 30 yards from goal. As pp said, it's the only time you cant be offside so fgs make the most of the that fact. A forward should be as near to the byeline as possible & the ball thrown to him. This does 2 things. One it immediately gets you further up the pitch & 2 it drags the opposition back towards their goal. Seems a no-brainer to me. 

And if you are thinking about "leaving space behind you for the opposition  to exploit" then you aren't the manager for me.

Perhaps this is why we have the least shots at goal of all 24 teams in this league. Not attack minded enough.
    I really wanted Leko to stretch their defence in that way. It's such a good attacking move when you get it right
  • Throws were poor against PNE too.
  • edited November 2019
    When we’re struggling against a side pressing us like yesterday and the PNE game, why doesn’t Phillips just drop kick the ball down into the oppositions penalty area?
  • Shouldn't the full backs/wing backs be taking them?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Shouldn't the full backs/wing backs be taking them?

They should and they should be throwing the ball down the line, not across our goal.
  • Throughout my over fifty years following Charlton we have been utterly shambolic with throw-ins - whoever's throw it is - ours or the opposition. Its probably me but there are very few throw-ins that we take in our own third of the field that don't seem to land us in trouble some how and its been that way a long time. I think I can remember a game where Dave Shipperley or Paul Went tried to throw to the goalkeeper and ended up giving a one on one to the opposition.      
  • The only players that I can remember that took throw ins of any note were Leaburn and Greg Halford (about the only thing he could actually do). Admittedly the throw ins were launches in to the box but there was half a chance they would find a Charlton head in the box. 
  • Clubs are starting to employ throw in coaches now - something that we should look at. Not sure Roland would sanction that nonsense though
  • Clubs are starting to employ throw in coaches now - something that we should look at. Not sure Roland would sanction that nonsense though

Roland can't even throw the towel in.
  • Sponsored links:

we did this against Preston. Solly would throw the ball as far as he could forward. our player had two players on him. one of their blokes wins the header and they picked it up and regain possession. we need better movement from throw inns - also unless you're time wasting then any player should be able to throw the ball, not just the full back and you should expect movement from others.
  • edited November 2019
    Oh god.....dont get me started.....

You can't be offside from a goal kick either - unless it has changed in the last couple of years.

I was also told you cannot be offside from a corner, which if the corner taker places the ball on the very edge of the quadrant furthest from the touchline and the players arranged themselves in some bizarre way and the corner taker passes the ball forward and one of his team-mates taps the ball in it would be offside (and the opposition strangely do nothing to defend the pass) - but I doubt it would ever happen.  So difficult to prove but was told corners are never offside.

• milo said:
    Oh god.....dont get me started.....

You can't be offside from a goal kick either - unless it has changed in the last couple of years.

I was also told you cannot be offside from a corner, which if the corner taker places the ball on the very edge of the quadrant furthest from the touchline and the players arranged themselves in some bizarre way and the corner taker passes the ball forward and one of his team-mates taps the ball in it would be offside (and the opposition strangely do nothing to defend the pass) - but I doubt it would ever happen.  So difficult to prove but was told corners are never offside.

I'm sure VAR would sort it out.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50567915

Another example of how to do it. Mourinho praising the ball boy for his quick thinking, as he quickly gave the ball to Aurier, who took a quick throw which led to the equaliser.

When was the last time we actually threw the ball forward quickly to find a player in space? Instead we either go backwards or take an eternity so that the opposition are all in place.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50567915

Another example of how to do it. Mourinho praising the ball boy for his quick thinking, as he quickly gave the ball to Aurier, who took a quick throw which led to the equaliser.

When was the last time we actually threw the ball forward quickly to find a player in space? Instead we either go backwards or take an eternity so that the opposition are all in place.
    Matthews (I think) did one really good throw against Cardiff. Found a runner in behind their midfield. Usually poor though. 
  • It’s a simple thing that people over look, but it’s actually quite an important part of the game. Liverpool are a fantastic example of getting it right and it having a correlation in the team’s overall positions.

Having inventive throw ins which enable you to keep possession and work the opposition helps with the rest of the team, it relieves pressure and gets you higher up the pitch. 

I know a lot has been spoken of him since his arrival, but Rooney said on Sky Sports after playing against Barnsley how he noticed as soon as he came into Derby that throw ins are something they needed to work on. It’s the same for us.

The same way we work on attacking and defending set-pieces, we need to work on attacking and defending throw ins. This is something that has been poor for us for a long time and is definitely something I look to bring up and question the next opportunity, hopefully at Bromley Addicks when someone we can speak to in the team, player or management right now, for them to work on in future.

Finer details and small margins are often the difference between winning and not, especially in a competitive league like the Championship. So why do we abuse or overlook the fact of throw ins?
  • we have had a problem for the best part of 50 years .. a reluctance/inability of players to find a bit of space to receive a throw in .. I exaggerate not ! (well praps a wee bit)