Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Squeeze- a band to celebrate my impending 50th

Righto, I’m off to Cardiff Monday to see Squeeze supported by Heaven 17 on Wednesday night.

It seems the tour has been a real success. I haven’t heard a bad word.

So in homage to our amazing talented local lads, what’s your favourite lyrics? No not just song, but lyrics.

I’ll start you off,

’my assets froze while yours had dropped’

There are sooooooooooo many xxxxxx

Comments

• 'You've got to throw the stone to get the pond to ripple'
  • The past has been bottled and labelled with love.
  • My grandparents lived in Delafield Road...
  • Chizz said:
    My grandparents lived in Delafield Road...
    Used to walk down Delafield Road to school
  • All I got was bitter and a nasty little rash
  • The Sweeney's doing ninety 'cause they've got the word to go
    They get a gang of villains in a shed up at Heathrow
    They're counting out the fivers when the handcuffs lock again
    In and out of Wandsworth with the numbers on their names...

Shape up at the disco and I think I've got a pull
    I ask her lots of questions and she hangs on to the wall
    I kiss her for the first time and then I take her home
    I'm invited in for coffee and I give the dog a bone...
  • 'You've got to throw the stone to get the pond to ripple'
    Never chew a pickle with a little slap and tickle 
  • The whole of Labelled with Love, and this from Pulling Mussels: 

"But behind the chalet
    My holiday's complete
    And I feel like William Tell
    Maid Marian on her tiptoed feet..."

I recall a gig in the nineties at Clapham Grand where it felt like every other punter in the huge audience was an Addicks fan. Difford and Tilbrook stood alone on the stage with just acoustic guitars. "We are going to do a local folk song for you now" said Chris to a huge roar.

He turned his guitar around and patted out the two bar drum pattern at the start of "Up the Junction".

The entire crowd started to sing "I never thought it would happen...".

From start to finish the duo on stage never sang a word.

Absolutely magic.   
    Wow! Thank you for sharing that x
  • Sponsored links:

• Saw both Squeeze and Heaven 17 last year, albeit not at the same gig - both cracking nights out.
    You can't really go wrong with a back catalogue like Squeeze.

My wife has one over on me though, she has seen Squeeze live back in the day when Jools was still in the band.
  • Saw both Squeeze and Heaven 17 last year, albeit not at the same gig - both cracking nights out.

My wife has one over on me though, she has seen Squeeze live back in the day when Jools was still in the band.
    I am sure I saw Squeeze with Dire Straits (who I had never heard of then) supporting them in the late 70's. Can't be certain now but I think it was at the Albany. 
  • Her love was life and happiness
    And in her steps I trace
    The way to live a better life
    In some fantastic place

Reduces me to tears every time 
  • Kneeling with torchlight shining
    Before me in my bed
    My eyeballs stuck in readers wives
    Pubic hairs proudly counted everyday
    Manhood took me slowly
    Out into the milky way
  • stonemuse said:
    Saw both Squeeze and Heaven 17 last year, albeit not at the same gig - both cracking nights out.

I am sure I saw Squeeze with Dire Straits (who I had never heard of then) supporting them in the late 70's. Can't be certain now but I think it was at the Albany. 
    Don't like this one, it doesn't even Rhyme
  • I saw them on Friday night at Indigo and they were bloody awesome...

As I approach my 50th too, I'll go with:

'Please be upstanding...'

• She unscrews the top of a new whiskey bottle
    And shuffles about in her candle lit hovel,
    Like some kind of witch with blue fingers in mittens
    She smells like the cat and the neighbours she sickens

Yep, I’m privileged to say I saw them with Jools too.

Happy Birthday to you Charlie!
  • stonemuse said:
    Saw both Squeeze and Heaven 17 last year, albeit not at the same gig - both cracking nights out.

Don't like this one, it doesn't even Rhyme
    Just tried singing it to "Up the Junction", and it just about works!
  • Sponsored links:

• Cowboys in their chaps.
  • Chris Difford should be the next poet laureate. Lyrics above from ‘some fantastic place’ are the ones I would chose above all others closely followed by most of ‘pulling mussels’
  • stonemuse said:

If it was at the Albany in late 1977, that was the first concert Dire Straits played under that name. 

Was also there Friday and agree that they were fantastic. (I’ll be 50 in April).
    Most of my favourite lyrics have been mentioned but got to agree with @BowieAddick on some fantastic place.
  • edited November 2019
    Great band, great songs. Managed to have a close up at the Pelton Arms a couple of years ago before they went on tour
  • I said to my reflection 
    let’s get outta this place. 
  • edited November 2019

Me too. I’d just started work in London back in ‘77, and was staying on a friend’s sofa in Hampstead. Bought NME, and the nearest gig to me was Squeeze at The Brecknock in Camden. Just a big pub. Not sure if I’d heard them before that night, but they were excellent. 

PS When we showed the Jimmy Seed film in the Swan last year I met Chris Difford, who was sitting at the bar reading a book (hoping not to be disturbed, I suspect).

• Stig said:
    The Sweeney's doing ninety 'cause they've got the word to go
    They get a gang of villains in a shed up at Heathrow
    They're counting out the fivers when the handcuffs lock again
    In and out of Wandsworth with the numbers on their names...

Shape up at the disco and I think I've got a pull
    I ask her lots of questions and she hangs on to the wall
    I kiss her for the first time and then I take her home
    I'm invited in for coffee and I give the dog a bone...
    Whenever I hear that song it always makes me think of one of my mates, who had absolute hysterics at my scandalised expression when it finally dawned on me what that last line actually meant.
  • Chizz said:
    stonemuse said:

If it was at the Albany in late 1977, that was the first concert Dire Straits played under that name. 
    Met Jools and the boys at a pub in Canterbury around 1978. I had never heard of them. They were supporting Dr Feelgood at the Odeon. Superb gig.