Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hazell starring Nicholas Ball

edited November 2019 in Not Sports Related
I often wondered what that series would look like these days.
Well S1 E1 is on Talking Pictures this Friday November 8th 9pm.
Freeview 81 Sky 328 Virgin 445 F'Sat 306.
I met him in a pub around Paddington in 2008.
We were going to Cheltenham but it was cancelled due to the storm.
So we went all day drinking instead.

PS I reckon it will seem really dated from 1978.

Comments

• Quite enjoyed the ones I saw at the time although I wasn't a regular viewer of it.
  • Written by Palace scum
    Oh yes. I'd forgotten about his involvement.

• He drove a scimitar 
  • It was a question on Tipping point the other day.  Which tv detective series was co-written by Terry Venables.
  • I'm not Saying all the posters are over 55 on this Thread, but I think they are !

Right for our Younger CL Viewers, Hazell was a "Saf Landan" ex copper who opened his own detective agency, the Sweeney it wasn't, Morse it wasn't:  Both played with aplomb by the wonderful John Thaw.

More vocal than punch ups or car chases,
    not cerebral, but with some decent dialogue: "I've got a wad of cash 'ere that could choke a washing machine.''

Watching anything from the seventies will look dated, just like the middle age to old CL members.
  • thought I was gonna be in an episode once.

I used to go primary school down Columbia Road (flower market)in Tower hamlets and they were filming in the newsagents opposite.

They wanted some kids (aged 7 to 8 ish) to walk in and say something cheeky to the shop keeper and get told off by Hazell.
    was part of the group that was filmed but never did see it on any of the episodes.

Got a couple 10p mix bags of sweets for our troubles though
  • I'm not Saying all the posters are over 55 on this Thread, but I think they are !

Right for our Younger CL Viewers, Hazell was a "Saf Landan" ex copper who opened his own detective agency, the Sweeney it wasn't, Morse it wasn't:  Both played with aplomb by the wonderful John Thaw.

More vocal than punch ups or car chases,
    not cerebral, but with some decent dialogue: "I've got a wad of cash 'ere that could choke a washing machine.''

Watching anything from the seventies will look dated, just like the middle age to old CL members.
    How dare you.
  • I quite enjoy re living these old programmes and will certainly watch Hazell. When there is nowt but crap on the tele I always put a minder, sweeney or the professionals on, never tire of watching them. 

Also thought John Thaw was light years ahead of his time portraying Reagan in the Sweeney and boy, didn't he know how to sit in a cars passenger seat, he managed to look chilled, cool and yet threatening all at the same time while being driven around in that Granada 
  • Sponsored links:

• Talking Pictures are showing a lot of WW2 propaganda and information films like The Dawn Patrol.

Worth watching @Blitzwalker @SE7toSG3
  • bobmunro said:
    I quite enjoy re living these old programmes and will certainly watch Hazell. When there is nowt but crap on the tele I always put a minder, sweeney or the professionals on, never tire of watching them. 

Also thought John Thaw was light years ahead of his time portraying Reagan in the Sweeney and boy, didn't he know how to sit in a cars passenger seat, he managed to look chilled, cool and yet threatening all at the same time while being driven around in that Granada 
    Me too.

The other one from the 70s that was a favourite of mine was Budgie, played by Adam Faith. Some great characters, including Charles Endell Esquire played by Iain Cuthbertson.

Budgie was great, a real loser but a good show. Had a style of jacket named after him.

Seeing London as it was in the good old days of the 1970s is half the fun.

• edited November 2019
    Wasn't the character loosely based on the footballer Tony Hazell who ended his career with us?

I am sure I read Venables say that in an interview. 
  • edited November 2019
    Edit: duplicate post
  • bobmunro said:
    I quite enjoy re living these old programmes and will certainly watch Hazell. When there is nowt but crap on the tele I always put a minder, sweeney or the professionals on, never tire of watching them. 

Me too.

The other one from the 70s that was a favourite of mine was Budgie, played by Adam Faith. Some great characters, including Charles Endell Esquire played by Iain Cuthbertson.

Agreed. I even bought one of those crap Budgie jackets at the time. i would bet there's a few on here who've still got one!
  • Davo55 said:
    bobmunro said:

Me too.

Agreed. I even bought one of those crap Budgie jackets at the time. i would bet there's a few on here who've still got one!
    ................*checks wardrobe*...............
  • Was Budgie the one where he had a snitch called Lonely or am I thinking of something else? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Was Budgie the one where he had a snitch called Lonely or am I thinking of something else? 
    That was Callan.  Also shown to Talking Pictures.
  • "I've got a wad of cash 'ere that could choke a in a washing machine". 
    So, was it written by Venables, or Redknapp?

Your thinking of “Roland” he had a snitch called Tony. 😉
  • Then there was Shoestring (not a documentary about Charlton's transfer window). 
  • When the boat comes in
  • bobmunro said:

Me too.

I once read that the character Charlie Endel was so named after Endel Street so every time I stroll down long acre and pass the street it reminds me of Budgie, Adam Faith, what do you want if you don’t want money, that Christmas special of Minder when he played a villain, the orient express, trains, charlton life  ...bleeding annoying really 
  • Was there a budgie spin off about Charlie Endell?
  • Secret Army
  • The Gentle Touch 
  • Was there a budgie spin off about Charlie Endell?
    Yes - it was just called Charles Endell, Esq