Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Who Concert Wembley

13»

Comments

• Solidgone said:
    Enjoyed the company of @DaveMehmet and had a few beers. Daltrey was in excellent form and the combo of an orchestra worked especially the finale with Barba O’Reilly. 
    Likewise mate, nice to meet you and sink a few beers!
  • Saw Bobby Gillespie in front of me... Appeared to be having more fun than he had on newsnight
  • Their new album “Who” will be released on Nov 22nd. Album cover produced by Peter Blake looks great.

Pre-ordered a signed copy when they reported they were in the studio recording earlier in the year.

Can’t wait

https://www.thewho.com/

• Well I dunno. The Who were my heroes
    from the moment I got my Mum to buy "Can't Explain". Was at the Valley in 74, the moment the Baba OReilly loop started up is one of my all time live gig moments. But since then, since Keith Moon passed, what? Really, what? Name me one song in the last 30 years that comes close to anything on Who's Next. And y'all paid £155 for that set up? Y'all been fooled again, if you ask me ( which in fairness, you didn't). 
  • Townshend/Daltrey interview in 'The Times' today
  • Greenie said:
    Well I dunno. The Who were my heroes
    from the moment I got my Mum to buy "Can't Explain". Was at the Valley in 74, the moment the Baba OReilly loop started up is one of my all time live gig moments. But since then, since Keith Moon passed, what? Really, what? Name me one song in the last 30 years that comes close to anything on Who's Next. And y'all paid £155 for that set up? Y'all been fooled again, if you ask me ( which in fairness, you didn't). 
    Because most of the time people want to see one (most) of their favourite bands play some of their favourite songs.
    Its music, it’s to be enjoyed!
    Yup
  • UK dates were announced last week for March/April next year. They're playing Wembley arena on April 8th, tickets go on sale Friday.

Got mine on a pre-sale code this morning.

• Well I dunno. The Who were my heroes
     BALL AND CHAIN from the new album is as good or better than some of the songs on Who's Next (IMO), and I think TEA AND THEATRE from Endless Wire is much better than MY WIFE.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nadou said:
     BALL AND CHAIN from the new album is as good or better than some of the songs on Who's Next (IMO), and I think TEA AND THEATRE from Endless Wire is much better than MY WIFE.
    Hope she isn’t a member of CL or your in trouble...😉
  • Nadou said:
    Well, I'll give 'em both a listen, and of course I respect that all opinion of music is very much "IMO". However, I think I have seen them doing Tea and Theatre live on TV a few years ago, and remember it as a slow and sensitive song of quality, but absolutely un-Who like, if you take Who's Next as definitive "Who-like". If my memory doesn't fail me then isn't it a quite different song to My Wife, which is propelled along by typical stonking drumming by the Moonster? 

It's all been done to death but I think my problem is that I am one of those for whom Keith Moon was irreplaceable, as John Bonham was for Led Zep; and while I'm not a massive Stones fan I think that Charlie Watt's continuous presence has been a cornerstone of their remarkable longevity as a live band.
  • Nadou said:
    Well, I'll give 'em both a listen, and of course I respect that all opinion of music is very much "IMO". However, I think I have seen them doing Tea and Theatre live on TV a few years ago, and remember it as a slow and sensitive song of quality, but absolutely un-Who like, if you take Who's Next as definitive "Who-like". If my memory doesn't fail me then isn't it a quite different song to My Wife, which is propelled along by typical stonking drumming by the Moonster? 

It's all been done to death but I think my problem is that I am one of those for whom Keith Moon was irreplaceable, as John Bonham was for Led Zep; and while I'm not a massive Stones fan I think that Charlie Watt's continuous presence has been a cornerstone of their remarkable longevity as a live band.
    Fair point..... it’s true that a great drummer makes an average band great and an average drummer makes a great band crap.
  • Greenie said:
    Nadou said:

Fair point..... it’s true that a great drummer makes an average band great and an average drummer makes a great band crap.
    And i am not a musician of any kind. There are just so many Who songs where, when I play them in my head, I can hear his drumming. My Wife, Song is over, Summertime Blues.... Thinking about it today made me grieve for him all over again. So I apologise for winding up fellow Who fans on here. I think it was just that £155...bloody hell, £155...
  • Since I have been  critical of their recent stuff I will mention that I heard "Ball and Chain" the new single today and it was pretty decent. I didn't realise it was them until afterwards though, it was on the radio (the excellent Prague indie station, Radio 1) and I thought it was something new from a 90s US hard rock band, maybe 38 Special..
  • Pete Townsend just been on Radio 2 promoting his new book.

And there I was thinking he was a muscian.....
  • Pete Townsend just been on Radio 2 promoting his new book.

And there I was thinking he was a muscian.....

He is a legend
  • Thought "ball and chain" was decent when they played it live
  • Since I have been  critical of their recent stuff I will mention that I heard "Ball and Chain" the new single today and it was pretty decent. I didn't realise it was them until afterwards though, it was on the radio (the excellent Prague indie station, Radio 1) and I thought it was something new from a 90s US hard rock band, maybe 38 Special..
    There's  another track on pre release, All This Music Will Fade, I prefer it to Ball And Chain.

I think it's on spotify's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:
    Nadou said:

Good drummer is hugely important, I agree, but you also need a decent bassist. This has been driven home to me recently when I've been involved in a jam night where the position of house bassist was not filled and we had a number of guys filling the position, some were not even bassists...
  • @Saga Lout we both know a Dutch band which proves your point :-)
  • The music must change on the Who are you bears resemblance. 
  • I've seen Who Are You mentioned on this thread, so thought i'd point out they're playing in Gravesend on Saturday night