Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Get Mike Riley out of PGMOL petition

Hi Guys,

I am a fellow Charlton fan but I need your help.

Mike Riley has proven to be a dreadful leader of the top referees.

This doesn’t only affect the PL teams but it also affects our team because they appoint referees to our games in the Championship at times.

He continues to instruct his referees not to use the pitchside monitors for themselves leading to mayhem week in week out.

In Europe it has been so much more successful then the way he instructs our referees.

Please help me and sign the petition to get him out, I hated him at The Valley and we could actually help make a change...

http://chng.it/cr8XWMQd

Comments

• How do we know he instructs his referees not to use the pitchside monitors ?
  • People need to think about what they post on social media and the consequences this may have on someone’s life and livelihood.

i don’t hate the man. I’ve never met him and hate is such a strong word. He’s just doing a job and I daresay he’s trying to do it to the best of his ability.

I won’t be signing.
  • @Off_it You saying you've never abused a ref at a game? Did you think about their well-being then? Give over mate.

On the subject @Tony_addick_fan the problem is that there are no pitch-side monitors. Not that Riley won't let refs look at them. 

I don't know which prem side is your second team but I'm sure the decisions will balance themselves out over the season.
  • Chunes said:
    @Off_it You saying you've never abused a ref at a game? Did you think about their well-being then? Give over mate.

On the subject @Tony_addick_fan the problem is that there are no pitch-side monitors. Not that Riley won't let refs look at them. 

I don't know which prem side is your second team but I'm sure the decisions will balance themselves out over the season.
    I think you are wrong there.

Pretty sure there are pitchside monitors but refs have been told not to consult them as ot slows the game down and wait for a decision from the VAR booth.

And that is one of the reasons VAR is failing over here, but works elsewhere in europe and The MLS
  • Chunes said:
    Off_it You saying you've never abused a ref at a game? Did you think about their well-being then? Give over mate.

Yeah but its the same with any players... Abuse will always be hurled during the heat of the game - Once the FT whistle goes though any animosity should be forgotten

As Off_It says; this goes beyond a Football match, you've got to think that at the end of the day Mike Riley however much people may hate him is just trying to have a comfortable life outside a profession Im sure he's lucky to enjoy
  • Hmmm, first post in nearly three years and it's about Mike Riley. Seems a little strange to me.
  • Stig said:
    Hmmm, first post in nearly three years and it's about Mike Riley. Seems a little strange to me.
    Probably Mark Clattenburg or Graham Poll harbouring a grudge.
  • Project Fear

VAR will solve all our problems.

VAR is simple and there is no downside to VAR.

VAR means VAR
  • edited November 2019
    Chunes said:
    @Off_it You saying you've never abused a ref at a game? Did you think about their well-being then? Give over mate.

Pretty sure there are pitchside monitors but refs have been told not to consult them as ot slows the game down and wait for a decision from the VAR booth.

And that is one of the reasons VAR is failing over here, but works elsewhere in europe and The MLS
    Read in The Guardian that there is a lack of pitch side monitors hence why they're not looking at them but happy to be corrected if true. 
    Chunes said:
    Off_it You saying you've never abused a ref at a game? Did you think about their well-being then? Give over mate.

Yeah but its the same with any players... Abuse will always be hurled during the heat of the game - Once the FT whistle goes though any animosity should be forgotten

As Off_It says; this goes beyond a Football match, you've got to think that at the end of the day Mike Riley however much people may hate him is just trying to have a comfortable life outside a profession Im sure he's lucky to enjoy

Mike Riley holds a very public position in a sport people feel very passionate about. People are entitled in a democracy to start petitions on things they want to change, especially when they are public institutions or positions. I see no abuse or incitement to violence. I think saying it's out of order is a load of rubbish.

• Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Read in The Guardian that there is a lack of pitch side monitors hence why they're not looking at them but happy to be corrected if true. 
    Chunes said:

Mike Riley holds a very public position in a sport people feel very passionate about. He’s a former referee who will have had more than his fair share in his time and would have made an excellent salary. People are entitled in a democracy to start petitions on things they want to change. I see no abuse or incitement to violence. I think saying it's out of order is a load of rubbish to be honest.

So would be okay to start a petition to get you or anyone else on here sacked from your jobs because I dont agree with something said?

To be fair I think petitions have become a bit of a joke now and just roll my eyes whenever I see one
  • edited November 2019
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Chunes said:

Mike Riley holds a very public position in a sport people feel very passionate about. He’s a former referee who will have had more than his fair share in his time and would have made an excellent salary. People are entitled in a democracy to start petitions on things they want to change. I see no abuse or incitement to violence. I think saying it's out of order is a load of rubbish to be honest.

So would be okay to start a petition to get you or anyone else on here sacked from your jobs because I dont agree with something said?

To be fair I think petitions have become a bit of a joke now and just roll my eyes whenever I see one

Did you read my post or just glance at it?

If I was holding a public office, especially in sport, YES. A thousand YESes.

But I'm a freelancer so you'd have a hard time.

• edited November 2019
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Chunes said:

Yes I did read it thank you and my point still stands :)

Am sorry but this petition feels nothing more than sour grapes when decisions arent going peoples way; @AlgarveAddick posted a sensible article from the Athletic saying that pitchside monitors would simply allow Managers / Players to no doubt try and press home and so influence any calls

By not having them pitch side it gives the players / managers no power so are directing their frustration at the referees (headed up by Riley) with fans knowing no differently because we're rarely given the full picture
  • There definitely are pitchside monitors. All Premier League grounds have them. 
  • Is Riley not being treated as a scapegoat because VAR isn’t working. 

Riley isn’t the one calling all the shots here. The frustration needs to be aimed at them and they have the power to make changes. 
  • I personally don't think pitchside monitors is the way to go. What needs to happen is competent people looking at the reviews. How about retired referees? 
    Refs going to pitchside monitors will slow the game even more. It works perfectly well in cricket and rugby with good communication and the studio. 
  • Project Fear

VAR will solve all our problems.

VAR is simple and there is no downside to VAR.

VAR means VAR
    For some reason that reminds me a bit of The Day Today sketch:

• Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Yes I did read it thank you and my point still stands :)

Am sorry but this petition feels nothing more than sour grapes when decisions arent going peoples way; @AlgarveAddick posted a sensible article from the Athletic saying that pitchside monitors would simply allow Managers / Players to no doubt try and press home and so influence any calls

By not having them pitch side it gives the players / managers no power so are directing their frustration at the referees (headed up by Riley) with fans knowing no differently because we're rarely given the full picture
    Actually it was @Rothko who posted the article. I just commented that I disagreed with the last paragraph, the one that showed the chap quoted did not have a football "soul". 

It also mentioned that there are problems in other leagues with it, despite the claims to the contrary. 

VAR needs to go, not Mike Riley.     
  • I'm gonna sign it.

I don't give a shit about VAR.  I've never forgiven that cheating tosser for giving that last minute penalty at Stamford Bridge just so Makelele could score.

• I’m not a Mike Riley fan, I think he’s made too many mistakes over the years, but a petition really?

He seems to have been around for ages, surely he must be coming up to retirement age for a ref, which probably means he’ll end up on BT sport.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m not a Mike Riley fan, I think he’s made too many mistakes over the years, but a petition really?

He seems to have been around for ages, surely he must be coming up to retirement age for a ref, which probably means he’ll end up on BT sport.
    He has retired from refereeing itself

Thats why he simply oversees them now

He has retired from refereeing itself

Thats why he simply oversees them now
    Thanks for the clarification!