Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Penny for the Guy

when did you last see one?!
I think for me very early noughties (01 or 02 probably) outside Safeway at Blackheath Standard.

Comments

• I doubt if many little kids nowadays know zilch about Guy Fawkes & Co .. it's all Halloween and Diwali 
  • I doubt if many little kids nowadays know zilch about Guy Fawkes & Co .. it's all Halloween and Diwali 
    That's rubbish - kids know exactly who he was as demonstrated by their constant use of the phrase "for Fawkes sake"
  • The last time I saw “penny for the guy” I gave the kid a penny and took his guy.  He didn’t get it and burbled so i gave  it back and gave him 20p. 
    Based on what?  

My 4 year old is currently learning all about Guy Fawks as part of the Primary School curriculum and was sent home with a picture and fact sheet we had to talk through for her home work. I was quite surprised given her age that she was learning about bombing parliament.  I believe she will learn about Diwali next year.
    Based on what?  

My 4 year old is currently learning all about Guy Fawks as part of the Primary School curriculum and was sent home with a picture and fact sheet we had to talk through for her home work. I was quite surprised given her age that she was learning about bombing parliament.  I believe she will learn about Diwali next year.
    I doubt if many little kids nowadays know zilch about Guy Fawkes & Co .. it's all Halloween and Diwali 
    Based on what?  

perhaps her teacher is so cheesed off with Westminster and Brexit that he/she is an advocate of blowing up the H O P and is looking for teeny weeny recruits ((:>)
  • Shame that it's gone out of fashion...maybe we should have "guys" at bus stops/ outside stations in a more organised way to raise money for good causes ...the celebration and the message is worthwhile in that it recognises the importance of having a democratically elected executive and that attempting to change things through violence is the wrong path

Just in case there are some pedantic historians here I mean that in the wider sense ..
  • Things come and go.
  • Probably because you can’t buy anything for 1p now.

Penny sweets are about £20 for scoop at the cinema.
  • Sponsored links:

• There is a guy outside Embankment station tonight...not sure if it is charity or scrounging kids...?
  • No one been into Sussex around this time of year then? All the Sussex towns, an increasing number every year, have festivals including floats, burned images based around guy fawkes, fireworks. Probably main centre was the several different Lewes clans/clubs but from there I think you can see the penny for guy celebrations now for getting on to a month if you pick your towns well. 

More locally in London agree it’s more now Halloween and the organised fireworks through the local council which are less inclusive. But that’s because the fireworks available outstrip the ability of the people to let them off without serious organisation. No one wants their kids to go blind because some drunk person fails to fix the Ferris wheel to the next door fence, gardens are too small for any decent fireworks and why would say Greenwich Pleasuance look to have a big fire to compete with Blackheath fireworks.

Ideally Blackheath fireworks would have a guy judging competition and we would burn them all but I wouldn’t want to be checking the stuffing of each guy to make sure it want going to massively explode and damage people outside the ‘safe zone’