Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Saracens docked 35 points and fined £5.3m for breaching salary cap rules

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50300756

A massive story for club rugby, it would be like docking Man City 35 points. A governing body actually issuing a strong punishment to a top team is certainly a rarity

Comments

• Are they not going to be stripped of their titles ?
  • wow, thats huge, even in football terms .
  • I'm sure they'll appeal and get 2 points deducted and no fine.
    wow, thats huge, even in football terms .

Saracens owner Nigel Wray is a major shareholder in Domino's Pizza .. he has plenty of dough .. boom boom ((:>)
    wow, thats huge, even in football terms .

Saracens owner Nigel Wray is a major shareholder in Domino's Pizza .. he has plenty of dough .. boom boom ((:>)
    Good thing he's not a shareholder in Pizza Express !
  • He sets up businesses and the player becomes CEO or whatever over and above their salary and outside of the salary cap. For instance captain Brad Barritt is owner of a company called Tiki Tonga coffee Set up by the Chairman. They have so much talent on their books they have had to be doing something dodgy. Not sure where it leaves them this season, the punishments were for last 3 years and they’ve already played 3 games this term. Will players have to leave or take massive pay cuts? Could see lots move abroad which would destroy England team.
  • Nug said:
    He sets up businesses and the player becomes CEO or whatever over and above their salary and outside of the salary cap. For instance captain Brad Barritt is owner of a company called Tiki Tonga coffee Set up by the Chairman. They have so much talent on their books they have had to be doing something dodgy. Not sure where it leaves them this season, the punishments were for last 3 years and they’ve already played 3 games this term. Will players have to leave or take massive pay cuts? Could see lots move abroad which would destroy England team.
    That's not quite correct. 

Barrits company was set up purely by him and another partner (not Nigel Wray or anyone in power at Saracens). There were some other shell companies set up by Nigel Wray and high profile players to supposedly help the players diversify away from rugby and these were the issue. Having co-investments is not a problem, but the fact that Saracens failed to disclose them is. PRL have also said they didn't purposely try to cheat the cap, but there were some admin errors (ie failing to disclose the co-investments). 

The way I see it is every club pushes the boundaries where possible and Saracens have gone too far and now facing the consequences.  The biggest shame in it all is that the majority of their squad is homegrown talent and has contributed to Englands success. Will be interesting to see what happens to England next. 
  • I've always been a bit dubious about the finances of professional rugby, when you consider the income generated by the sport.

• Nug said:
    He sets up businesses and the player becomes CEO or whatever over and above their salary and outside of the salary cap. For instance captain Brad Barritt is owner of a company called Tiki Tonga coffee Set up by the Chairman. They have so much talent on their books they have had to be doing something dodgy. Not sure where it leaves them this season, the punishments were for last 3 years and they’ve already played 3 games this term. Will players have to leave or take massive pay cuts? Could see lots move abroad which would destroy England team.

Barrits company was set up purely by him and another partner (not Nigel Wray or anyone in power at Saracens). There were some other shell companies set up by Nigel Wray and high profile players to supposedly help the players diversify away from rugby and these were the issue. Having co-investments is not a problem, but the fact that Saracens failed to disclose them is. PRL have also said they didn't purposely try to cheat the cap, but there were some admin errors (ie failing to disclose the co-investments). 

The way I see it is every club pushes the boundaries where possible and Saracens have gone too far and now facing the consequences.  The biggest shame in it all is that the majority of their squad is homegrown talent and has contributed to Englands success. Will be interesting to see what happens to England next. 
    Fair enough, that’s how I have understood it though. I believe the players continue to be involved in the companies after they stop playing such as Chris Wyles and Wolfpack Brewing. It’s a tricky one can’t blame any player for securing their future in a game that as very high injury risk and if you want to play for England you can’t move abroad to France for example.
  • Nug said:
    Nug said:

Fair enough, that’s how I have understood it though. I believe the players continue to be involved in the companies after they stop playing such as Chris Wyles and Wolfpack Brewing. It’s a tricky one can’t blame any player for securing their future in a game that as very high injury risk and if you want to play for England you can’t move abroad to France for example.
    Again Wyles set his company up separately (albeit, he was given use of Allianz Park to sell beer etc which can only help). The companies under investigation appear to purely be shell companies (Faz Investments Ltd for example)