Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

André Gomes injury

Terrible injury in the match against Spurs.  

Best wishes to him for a full and speedy recovery. 

Comments

• edited November 2019
    That was not a red card for Song, a yellow sure but  the damage was done by the defender who smashed into Gomez as he fell. I think it was Aurier.
    Unless we make it a non contact sport these Injuries will occur from time to time.

These flooded pitches from nature or being over watered don't help.

• No, the damage was done by the turf as he landed after Son's foul
  • Surely will be rescinded. Horrible injury though best wishes to him.
  • edited November 2019
    Man that looked horrible. Gladly I didn’t see the break as it happened but when Gomez was holding his leg you could see the foot pointing the other way. 
  • That was not a red card.
    The damage was done by the defender who smashed into Gomez as he fell.
    I think it was Aurier.

I thought it deserved a yellow, but wouldn't have been surprised at it not getting a card at all.  I can't see any reason for it being a red.  

(As you say) Son fouled the player, but didn't injure him.  Aurier injured him, but didn't foul him. 
  • Just seen it. Memories of David Busst. Horrific.
  • Horrific that I paused to see what happened it’s completely horizontal his ankle, speedy recovery for the lad.

That said, he originally went to give a yellow which it 100% should’ve been but then changed his mind, I think that’s unfair on Son, perhaps the ref should’ve asked the Tottenham bench to sub him off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Never a red card.  Will hopefully be rescinded. The players looked distraught. As did people in the crowd. 

Hope he makes a speedy recovery.
  • edited November 2019
    Never a red and Son isn't the player to intend to injure a player. Look how shocked he is by it. He needs that replay to see it wasn't (entirely) his fault.

Gomes toe on his right boot gets caught in the turf and rips his foot the wrong way.

I'm going to say double leg break.really horrible one especially if it's a spiral fracture. But we'll let Sage give a better prediction.

• I rather think the ref sent him off in order to prevent there from being a riot. VAR would have been, presumably, available to review the foul in case it was, as we believe, a clear and obvious error but I don't believe they used it.

The only other aspect is whether a red card can be given if, as a result of a player's actions, an opponent is seriously injured i.e. were it not for the challenge Gomes would not have stumbled.
  • edited November 2019
    Chizz said:
    That was not a red card.
    I think it was Aurier.

I thought it deserved a yellow, but wouldn't have been surprised at it not getting a card at all.  I can't see any reason for it being a red.  

(As you say) Son fouled the player, but didn't injure him.  Aurier injured him, but didn't foul him. 
    I was editing to say yellow for Song, and I agree with your  comments above. 

• Chizz said:
    That was not a red card.
    I think it was Aurier.

I was editing to say yellow for Song, and I agree with yout  comments above. 

The injury occurred before he was near Aurier. I agree it's a yellow. 
  • Sad for gomez hope he makes a full recovery... When the dust settles son red card will be rescinded... 
  • I didn't think it was a red card offence at all.  But the wording of Law 12 makes it seem that, because the player's safety was endangered by the tackle, it's counted as serious foul play and therefore a straight red. 

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent
    or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play. Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play
  • This was similar to (the later) Alan Smith's injury for Man U (which was pretty much the last thing he did in a United shirt)
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    Can’t comment much on the injury, I haven’t seen it live and only seen one still frame. But I think it’s pretty obvious that he has dislocated his ankle, and with an ankle dislocation, it’s rare not to have a broken bone, so I’d probably say he has fractured his tibia and fibula. Of course, with this injury also means serious ligament damage too.

The main thing would be to get his foot facing the right away because the longer it was facing the wrong way, the worse it’ll be. I’m talking blood supply, nerve damage, ligament damage. Once the ankle dislocation is put right, they can then assess the injury itself. But he is going to have to have metal plates for certain, the surgery is going to be difficult and his recovery is going to be very long and hard. I wouldn’t be surprised to not see Gomes until the early to mid part of 2021.
    probably the primula as well
  • edited November 2019
    Sad for gomez hope he makes a full recovery... When the dust settles son red card will be rescinded... 
    That doesnt help Tottenham on the day as if Son had stayed on they might well have won the game. If Son was "sent off" to prevent a riot then that is just plain daft. At worst you ask Spurs to sub him. I think Poch is being very diplomatic.  ..I would be seething if I was him. 

Son hardly tackled him & it was a yellow at best......which was what he was shown immediately by the ref. You cant just then get a red as well just because the player has a bad injury.....which was because of the way he fell. Nothing to do with the tackle. 
  • Chizz said:
    I didn't think it was a red card offence at all.  But the wording of Law 12 makes it seem that, because the player's safety was endangered by the tackle, it's counted as serious foul play and therefore a straight red. 

or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play. Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play
    The tackle wasnt excessive by any stretch of the imagination. Gomes stumbled & his leg went from under him. If anyone was to blame its the groundsman/manager for watering the pitch and/or the boots Gomes was wearing. Nothing to do with the tackle.
  • Just seen the still picture that proves the impact from Aurier caused the damage for Gomes. I thought that was the case in real time and his foot is normal until the impact.

In most matches you see at least four tackles made when the tackler take a player out and trips him. 99% yellow card except on this occasion purely because the player was badly injured. 

• edited November 2019
    Not that I want to question what you've seen but having seen replays his foot gets twisted under him before he collides with Aurier.

Split seconds in it mind you... Think the screen shot, that I assume is the front on one shows it too late his foot is already twisted backwards when the impact occurs.
  • It looks like a dislocated ankle and probably a broken leg too. Very nasty. I will be very surprised if he plays again this season. But let's hope makes a speedy recovery.
  • Chizz said:
    I didn't think it was a red card offence at all.  But the wording of Law 12 makes it seem that, because the player's safety was endangered by the tackle, it's counted as serious foul play and therefore a straight red. 

The tackle wasnt excessive by any stretch of the imagination. Gomes stumbled & his leg went from under him. If anyone was to blame its the groundsman/manager for watering the pitch and/or the boots Gomes was wearing. Nothing to do with the tackle.

I don't think anyone's suggesting it was excessive, that's why I didn't embolden the but that says "or uses excessive force or brutality".  It was a tackle and it's interesting to understand whether it endangered the safety of the opponent.  

You might be right, of course, and it was nothing to do with the tackle and, instead, the player might well have fallen over, 80 minutes into the game because his boots were a bit tight or some of the grass was wet.  But I think the fact he was tackled probably helped him to lose balance a bit.  

Let's hope that, if you're right, the groundsman gets a retrospective red card and a long ban. 
  • this is the picture that shows the impact.  
  • I've seen a pic of the foot facing the wrong way and Gomes face says it all. Wish him a speedy recovery.