Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

'New town' to be built in S.E London

edited October 2019 in Not Sports Related

A new town is set to spring up on the banks of the Thames as the ink dries on an £8bn deal between a property developer and a housing association.

The Thamesmead Waterfront regeneration project, taking place on an empty green space west of Thamesmead town centre, will bring 11,500 new homes to the area.

Housing association, Peabody, and international property developer, Lendlease, have formed a joint venture partnership to deliver the £8bn development.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/new-town-set-to-spring-up-on-thames-in-a-8bn-deal-between-a-property-developer-lendlease-and-peabody-housing-association/

Comments

• As if SE London isn’t already overpopulated, particularly that area. The infrastructure won’t cope even if a station was included. Thamesmead was promised a station as far back as the 60s.
  • edited October 2019
    Developments like this are essential but the infrastructure has to be included. Planning approvals should be contingent on developers paying for large parts of the required infrastructure up to and including building stations, bus terminals, schools etc.

It would be interesting to hear @Airman Brown thoughts on this thread.
  • This will add to the need for the DLR extension to Thamesmead.
  • edited October 2019
    More potential Charlton fans?
  • Population of UK is estimated to reach 70m by 2029 (was 50m in 1960 and is currently 66m).
  • Developments like this are essential but the infrastructure has to be included. Planning approvals should be contingent on developers paying for large parts of the required infrastructure up to and including building stations, bus terminals, schools etc.

They always are. There will be a section 106 agreement which will require the provision of infrastructure to mitigate the effects of the development which will be based on various impact assessments including transport and traffic. This will definately need several new schools, new bus routes and a DLR station (presumably one that connects effectively to Crossrail Abbey Wood). There will also be payments towards a community infrastructure levy which should support other issues

Hard to see how this will get through a traffic impact assessment given the nightmare that is the A2 without very significant new highway infrastructure or (much more probably) very severe restrictions on car parking which would effectively limit car ownership for new tenants/buyers.
  • Sponsored links:

• What will the new township be called I wonder?
  • Thamesmead Village
    What will the new township be called I wonder?

River City .. a few more years of global warming and it'll be under water
  • Jints said:
    Developments like this are essential but the infrastructure has to be included. Planning approvals should be contingent on developers paying for large parts of the required infrastructure up to and including building stations, bus terminals, schools etc.

They always are. There will be a section 106 agreement which will require the provision of infrastructure to mitigate the effects of the development which will be based on various impact assessments including transport and traffic. This will definately need several new schools, new bus routes and a DLR station (presumably one that connects effectively to Crossrail Abbey Wood). There will also be payments towards a community infrastructure levy which should support other issues

Hard to see how this will get through a traffic impact assessment given the nightmare that is the A2 without very significant new highway infrastructure or (much more probably) very severe restrictions on car parking which would effectively limit car ownership for new tenants/buyers.
    Surprised no one has mentioned the "Purpose built 30,000 sports and entertainment stadium" suggested in the plans.

At least we can still sing "mist rolling in from the Thames"
  • Couldnt see any mention of new hospitals or schools in that article. Fantastic.
    Why would they ? cant flog those for profit, just over priced 'first time buyers' 
    houses no doubt that will fall apart within a year.
  • Jints said:

Which will all be planned for, until the developers suddenly run out of money after building all the houses and can't afford any of the infrastructure!
    I heard....Shitcup
  • Right under the flight path of City Airport.

River City .. a few more years of global warming and it'll be under water
    I was gonna say Atlantis 
  • Sponsored links:

• I live in West Thamesmead. Peabody are very slow at getting anything moving - this is the 3rd or 4th statement that has come out about this project dating back over the last few years. 

Dont expect anything drastic to happen any time soon. 

A DLR/station would be helpful, but Thamesmead is also bookended by Woolwich and Abbey Wood which will both have Crossrail stations. It will be much quicker to travel via either of those than a potential DLR stop which will meander through the Beckton line to get anywhere near Central London.
  • cafctom said:
    I live in West Thamesmead. Peabody are very slow at getting anything moving - this is the 3rd or 4th statement that has come out about this project dating back over the last few years. 

A DLR/station would be helpful, but Thamesmead is also bookended by Woolwich and Abbey Wood which will both have Crossrail stations. It will be much quicker to travel via either of those than a potential DLR stop which will meander through the Beckton line to get anywhere near Central London.
    Not necessarily. Try getting on a 472 in North Thamesmead, for example. And that’s before Khan brings in the new single decker when Crossrail opens. 
    Thamesmead needs a station. There can’t be any other area in Zone 4 of London with such a poor transport service, given the population it has.
  • Just taken me ages to get on a bus from Woolwich with only one row tonight. The bus stops round Woolwich are mobbed. It’s the most miserable part of the commute whatever direction you’re going in. Bring in 1000s more commuters. Yeehaa. 
    Atlantis when there is a tidal surge from the North Sea and they close the Thames barrier 
  • cafctom said:
    I live in West Thamesmead. Peabody are very slow at getting anything moving - this is the 3rd or 4th statement that has come out about this project dating back over the last few years. 

Not necessarily. Try getting on a 472 in North Thamesmead, for example. And that’s before Khan brings in the new single decker when Crossrail opens. 
    Thamesmead needs a station. There can’t be any other area in Zone 4 of London with such a poor transport service, given the population it has.
    Blackfen cant be much better in terms of distance from train stations than Thamesmead though - Especially the area around Blendon roundabout, you've got to go all the way up Danson and half way up Brampton to reach Bexleyheath Station or the other way you have to go down Penhill back up to get to Albany Park Station
  • Any more for Atlantis!
  • Fumbluff said:
    I heard....Shitcup
    I was going for SEithole but I think yours is better. 

Just to keep Soundas happy though I’m prepared to compromise with shatlantis or Sehatlantis. 
  • Just make them all 1 bed flats with no parking spaces, problem solved..
  • South London is in desperate need of more travel infrastructure. Wasn’t it Red Ken’s idea to cover the entirety of south London with a tram system? That was then torpedoed by boris for the extremely expensive (albeit needed) cross rail project?

fact is we need extensions on the bakerloo and maybe even jubilee line down into south east London.