Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

edited January 2020 in General Charlton
The first rumour has rolled in so I thought I’d get this thread started early...

Comments

• Derby, Boro, Brentford and ourselves after Aberdeen striker Sam Cosgrove. Supposedly available for £2m.
  • Cosgrove in as Taylors replacement then?
  • If we are anywhere near the top six I would go all out for Dwight Gayle.
  • Just maybe Roland realizes that his insane project could just work... throws 12 million at it and Charlton are set and primed for this year and if not, then next. 

• The initial 'exclusive' is pretty vague. I have one 'lots of clubs in January will be looking at lots of players', just call me Scoop.
  • I wouldn’t mind taking a closer look at Crowley at Birmingham.
    busy little bugger and always seems to be involved. Only 22 so room to grow

i fear we’ll need to replace Cullen in January
  • What do we need?

I am sure Gallen will have identified players coming to the end of their contracts who might be paid off similar to how we acquired Jonny Williams last season. 

Much depends on the loanees and whether they are recalled  

Cullen . There seems to be a strong possibility that West Ham will recall him. 

Field. Gutted that he is injured. I thought he has done well.

There are two scenarios I can see him being recalled. 1 Injury. 2 West Brom see us as a threat in their promotion bid. 

Gallagher . Think Chelsea would want him to get a full season here rather than recall. However, next season he will feature at the Bridge so bringing in a similar player might be a good idea. 

Kayal. Lets see how the next couple of months go. Could he be a good rotation foil for Pratley now Fueld is injured? It has been suggested to me by friends who support the Seagulls that the door might be still ajar for him at the Amex if he were match fit. 

Leko. As per Field re West Brom.

Therefore a midfield option might be useful. 

Two names if this is the case. 

Liam Bridcutt? Although injured he made a good start to his four month loan at Bolton. He would be another good 'old man' to supplement Pratley  

Ethan Ampadu? Another name that was discussed in the summer and considered out of our range. He has hardly featured for Leipzig. Given our success with Gallagher could Chelsea be tempted to loan him to us? His versatility would be very useful.

A left back could also be required if Page doesn't return. I felt JFC did well but reminded me of JJ in that he isn't a natural left back . He also couldn't be relied on injury wise.

A striker to supplement Bonne and Taylor. 
  • Nice we're being linked with a Striker as thats definitely where we need to strengthen regardless what happens with Taylor

Ethan Ampadu is one I'd be very happy with if Chelsea were to recall him, would fit in well with Lockyer / Williams already here from the Wales setup - A bit like Dwight Gayle though (no chance would that happen) is that we've got our full compliment of loan signings, for every player we want on loan, someone would have to be recalled and the only two I'd want to see that happen to is Kayal and Leko, even then I'm not sure as wouldnt want to upset the harmony within the team
  • Nice we're being linked with a Striker as thats definitely where we need to strengthen regardless what happens with Taylor

Ethan Ampadu is one I'd be very happy with if Chelsea were to recall him, would fit in well with Lockyer / Williams already here from the Wales setup - A bit like Dwight Gayle though (no chance would that happen) is that we've got our full compliment of loan signings, for every player we want on loan, someone would have to be recalled and the only two I'd want to see that happen to is Kayal and Leko, even then I'm not sure as wouldnt want to upset the harmony within the team
    I thought the limit of loans applied to how many you could have in your match day squad, not how many you have.
  • Redrobo said:
    Nice we're being linked with a Striker as thats definitely where we need to strengthen regardless what happens with Taylor

I thought the limit of loans applied to how many you could have in your match day squad, not how many you have.
    I thought we could only have a maximum of six

Regardless I cant imagine us going after any loans as we wont want to damage relations with clubs if we leave their player out of the team in favour of another loanee... i.e. Its not been a problem with Kayal of late as he's not been fit

At the moment clubs will be happy to deal with us because they see us improving their players - Else it'll be a case like where Arsenal are apparently tempted to recall Nketiah from Leeds and send him to Bristol City because of a lack of game time
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a rumour but seeing this story makes you wonder if Arsenal will recall Nketiah from Leeds if he doesn't get regular game time and send him somewhere else...

Three Arsenal officials were left frustrated recently having travelled to watch Eddie Nketiah play for loan club Leeds against West Brom - only for the 20-year-old England Under-21 forward not to feature. (The Athletic - subscription required)

• Not a rumour but seeing this story makes you wonder if Arsenal will recall Nketiah from Leeds if he doesn't get regular game time and send him somewhere else...

Three Arsenal officials were left frustrated recently having travelled to watch Eddie Nketiah play for loan club Leeds against West Brom - only for the 20-year-old England Under-21 forward not to feature. (The Athletic - subscription required)

Haha what timing as per the end of my post :)
  • Still find it mental that Gayle is older than Lyle. Would happily take him if we could find a way. 
  • Cosgrove in as Taylors replacement then?
    Possibly a precautionary option if we receive interest for Talisman Taylor.
  • I wonder if the January recall option is two ways - ie would/could we look at Leko and based in fitness Kayal and Field and see if we could improve on them?
  • edited October 2019
    Lookman not really playing at RB Leipzig - any chance we can persuade Everton he is better off on loan with us?

Edit: just realised hes not on loan there but moved permanently. I guess not then 
  • Ferryman said:
    Get rid of Hemed, blocking an already strained wage bill.
    The guy has been injured since he arrived yes, but if you look at his social media he has admitted he rushed his recovery cos he was so desperate to impress and play and that has knocked him back. He is working his backside off in the gym and pool at all hours by the looks so i wouldnt give up on him just yet
    Agreed. Whilst he doesn't quite seem to have done it yet or seem to quite fit into Bow's system and patterns of play. But he does offer something different and has a good record at and above this level. He will certainly be a useful player, when fit, to bring on and try and change the game or offer something different.
  • Ferryman said:
    The guy has been injured since he arrived yes, but if you look at his social media he has admitted he rushed his recovery cos he was so desperate to impress and play and that has knocked him back. He is working his backside off in the gym and pool at all hours by the looks so i wouldnt give up on him just yet
    Agree.

He's big and physical, experienced, plenty of knowhow, current international, proven at Championship level.

Once he gets matchfit, I feel he'll prove his worth.

• Sponsored links:

• He missed a pre season and tried to rush back as a result... 

Think it's appalling he felt he needed to rush back to fitness. That's either on The Israel manager or Bowyer...

Guessing the former. 
  • Redrobo said:

Regardless I can't imagine us going after any loans as we wont want to damage relations with clubs if we leave their player out of the team in favour of another loanee
    We have had this discussion before. If we had one "extra" loanee it would not be a problem because, at any time, out of our five "permitted to play" loanees there would always be at least one who is unfit, needs a rest, or is off form. 

I wonder how many times this season all five of our loanees have been fit, on form, and available to play? I would guess never.
  • We don’t need a striker if Taylor stays. Him and Bonne would be first pairing at the minute and with Leko, Aneke and Hemed as options it’s not a position we need to strengthen. 

To be honest if nobody leaves I’m happy with our 23 man squad. We have Amos, Oshilija, Page, Lapslie, Kayal, Hemed, Oztumer, Matthews and Aneke who have all barely played. 7 of them are summer signings so I wouldn’t be rushing out signing anyone. 

The biggest concern is losing someone like Cullen or Taylor. If that happens we need to adequately replace which will be tough on a small budget. 
  • Ferryman said:
    All I notice on his social media is his wife. 
  • edited October 2019
    Redrobo said:

Regardless I can't imagine us going after any loans as we wont want to damage relations with clubs if we leave their player out of the team in favour of another loanee
    We have had this discussion before. If we had one "extra" loanee it would not be a problem because, at any time, out of our five "permitted to play" loanees there would always be at least one who is unfit, needs a rest, or is off form. 

I wonder how many times this season all five of our loanees have been fit, on form, and available to play? I would guess never.
    Bristol City?

Field - Leko - Gallagher - Cullen - Kayal all started.

Then again against Birmingham / Derby they've all played at some stage of the game - After all its not just the starting eleven but the bench too that we're only allowed five loans

Its also not worth taking the risk - Utilising loan players is about building trust with the parent clubs; Bowyer clearly has that with his approach so its his way that works!!
  • We don’t need a striker if Taylor stays. Him and Bonne would be first pairing at the minute and with Leko, Aneke and Hemed as options it’s not a position we need to strengthen. 

To be honest if nobody leaves I’m happy with our 23 man squad. We have Amos, Oshilija, Page, Lapslie, Kayal, Hemed, Oztumer, Matthews and Aneke who have all barely played. 7 of them are summer signings so I wouldn’t be rushing out signing anyone. 

The biggest concern is losing someone like Cullen or Taylor. If that happens we need to adequately replace which will be tough on a small budget. 
    I agree that I am happy with the squad as it stands no ins no outs. But. If Jacko and AM say that they will want to freshen it up in Jan I back them. You have to keep trying to move forward and new faces can push existing players harder.
  • edited October 2019
    I'm happy with the squad at the moment barring injuries.

A new left back as back up to Purrington if Page is still MIA, a replacement for Field if he's crocked long term, a striker perhaps as I feel Leko isn't quite the answer and Taylor, Hemed and Bonne are all quite similar, (good at hold up but not lightning quick) but if no-one comes in and no-one leaves I'd be a happy chappy
  • sam3110 said:
    I'm happy with the squad at the moment barring injuries.

A new left back as back up to Purrington if Page is still MIA, a replacement for Field if he's crocked long term, a striker perhaps as I feel Leko isn't quite the answer and Taylor, Hemed and Bonne are all quite similar, (good at hold up but not lightning quick) but if no-one comes in and no-one leaves I'd be a happy chappy
    Agreed, I imagine the injuries between now and January will be a key factor. Do we actually know how long Field is out for, I heard 2 months but it was a provisional diagnosis and I assume he'll be back at West Brom now anyway

I beg to differ, neither of the above are strikers and neither could hit a cow's arse with a banjo ...
  • If we are still where we are in January and Peterborough not doing so well, I would love us to make another bid for Ivan Toney, the rotation between him, Taylor and Bonne would be excellent