Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is Bowyer's secret?

We seem to have a great team spirit and players that don't give up. We may not have the best squad but we've proved far more competitive than most expected.

How have Lee and JJ managed this?

Comments

• I think the players they have signed is the main thing. Bowyer and JJ are rightly getting a lot of plaudits but I think sometimes we forget to praise the players. Take someone like Cullen, he has spoken about wanting to play for West Ham but he always gives 100% and it’s great to see from a loan player. It’s definitely not something we have had previously, Zyro at Rochdale away springs to mind immediately. 
  • Shhhh! Let's keep it a secret.
  • Passion, credibility and knowledge. 
  • Steve Gallen is the not so hidden secret. Brings in the right type of players with a mentality that fits.

• Apart from the wonderful team spirit, I sense that the players fitness levels are outstanding. 
  • Andy Marshall said at the No.1 Fans group meeting that LB and SG have sat down with players they planned to sign but then said no as they didn't think they'd fit into the ethic we have here.

He also gets, much credit to SG, good players.

The other thing is that he is flexible and has more than one way of playing.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrWalker said:
    I told my Palarse in-law it was down to cunning, understanding, nouse and tenacity. He didn’t get it.
    Not surprised... those words are far to long and difficult for a Palace fan to be unable to understand
  • Halix said:
    Fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope are his main weapons.
    Deserves a double lol
  • Addickted said:
    Halix said:
    Fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope are his main weapons.
    I didn't expect that.
    No one did
  • Kryptonite!
  • There is no secret. Mostly down to luck & that it's an easy job being a manager. You have 11 men & a ball......all you need to do is get the ball into the goal. Job done & home in time for tea.

Then again, I could be talking bollox.. 😁
  • He’s proper Charlton.
  • There is no secret. Mostly down to luck & that it's an easy job being a manager. You have 11 men & a ball......all you need to do is get the ball into the goal. Job done & home in time for tea.

You might not be far wrong there (for once  ;))
    he just keeps things simple. 
  • Sponsored links:

• In some clubs the manager is seen as more important than the actual team, with Charlton and LB it’s more 50/50, both equally important.
  • There are a lot of similarities with our Powell era in that both of them are capable of getting hold of players who have the right attitude and mentality meaning that they can all play collectively above their level. In Powell's case he had a very good foundation in the L1 squad, but in the Championship the money aggressively ran out and we were forced to make do with what we had plus a couple of cast off permanent signings and some decent loans. Despite that we finished that first Championship season 9th which looking at the squad was a madness. The main difference is though that Bowyer is more tactically astute, capable of changing the team's shape depending on the situation and he obviously has plans for phases of the game. Powell tended to stick to one way of playing and would always make his subs too late. It goes to show though that talent will get you so far, but having a team willing to work for each other and the manager will take you much further than being able to throw money at all the 'best' players going.
  • limeygent said:
    Shhhh! Let's keep it a secret.
    Who's Bowyer?
  • Addickted said:
    Halix said:
    I didn't expect that.
    No one did
    No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Its all in the naughty schoolboy jumper
  • edited October 2019
    He brings in players who are hungry and fit an ethos/want to succeed and give 100%.  He has surrounded himself with a great team in JJ, Gallen and Marshall.  The likes of Euell with the kids and Pratley on the field should not be under estimated.  
  • Victoria's Secret

You are, talking bollox mate! LOL!
  • Great recruitment, top team spirit and excellent fitness

Getting decent loan players has been really important to our success too. I think Jay Dalsilva was an important loan player for us, as it showed the bigger clubs that we're a good place to send talented youngsters, as we play good football and can really improve players. 

Can you imagine Chelsea loaning us Gallagher is we were managed by Russell Slade?