Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cristiano Ronaldo signs for Juventus

Comments

• Scored his 699th goal tonight, and unlike some all time greats they weren't in mickey mouse leagues either, or against nothing but minnow countries.

What's just as amazing is that he's now played 975 games and still looks in top condition. 161 international caps alone.
    His fitness record is exemplary. Played 40 club games or more in 15 of the last 16 seasons. In 7 of those seasons he played more than 50 games.

I can see him playing for Portual until the 2022 World Cup, he'll definitely want to break Ali Daei's record.
  • Definitely world class that term is banded about far too easily for me 

Maradona 
    pele
    ronaldo 
    Messi 

that order 

Maradona 
    pele
    ronaldo 
    Messi 

that order 

I think of a world class player as someone who gets into a current world XI.  It's an overly used term though.

Maradona 
    pele
    ronaldo 
    Messi 

that order 

I think of a world class player as someone who gets into a current world XI.  It's an overly used term though.
    I'd say world class is a player who if he was available, then all the top clubs would want to sign him.

For example there could be 10 world class strikers, but they can't all get into a world XI.

Maradona 
    pele
    ronaldo 
    Messi 

that order 

I'd say world class is a player who if he was available, then all the top clubs would want to sign him.

For example there could be 10 world class strikers, but they can't all get into a world XI.
    Completely agree - Aguero, Kane, Aubameyang, Ronaldo, Lewandowski, Suarez all world class number 10s
  • Ronaldo
    Messi
    Maradona
    Pele

That order
  • Also no way Maradona or Pele are fit to lace Messi or Ronaldo's boots, football has moved on
    I used to have this argument with my Dad who played football in the 50s in Hungary. He maintained that Puskas would have been a world class player in any era whereas my argument was that footballers were allowed far more space in those times whereas nowadays it is undoubtedly a faster and more physical game.

This was an era when Hungary defeated England 6-3 and 7-1. What is without debate is that skill such as Puskas's drag back to dump the England captain, Billy Wright, on his backside, his awareness and finish would be considered "world class" even nowadays:

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/video/ferenc-puskas-with-brilliant-drag-back-to-send-billy-news-footage/1B27653_0020

I've mellowed to the extent that I think players like Puskas, Maradona and Pele would have adapted. And footballs, such as those used in the '50s, were medicine balls by comparison to those used today - Messi and Ronaldo would not be the same players if they had to used them! 

• Goal number 700 of his career tonight and his 95th for Portugal.

His last 58 international goals have come in just 62 games. Incredible.
  • Didn't realise until that that him and Messi were both on 699.
  • Sponsored links:

• Impressive from Ukraine to be beating Portugal though
  • Goal number 700 of his career tonight and his 95th for Portugal.

His last 58 international goals have come in just 62 games. Incredible.
    Moves to 98 international goals. 61 of them coming in his last 63 games.
  • That's absolutely crazy.  I know there are some poor sides in Europe like San Marino etc but still, nearly 100 international goals is incredible. 
  • Now needs just 12 more to break Ali Daei's record of 109. A record that at one point seemed unsurpassable.
  • Kanes record is better and could easily beat Ali Daeis record

Ronaldo 98 goals in 163 games
    Kane 31 goals in 44 games
  • edited November 2019
    Kanes record is better and could easily beat Ali Daeis record

I'd bet good money that he won't even get close.

Only 3 players in history have got more than 80. Ali Daei who used to bang in about 15 goals during every Iran qualifying campaign against teams like Guam and Cambodia, Ronaldo who is a freak, and Puskas who played at a time when Hungary were incredible.

Let's say Kane stays fit and scores 9-10 a year over the next 4 years. He'd have around 70 goals at the age of 30. He'd still need another forty goals! He'd have to be our first choice centre forward until he was at least 35 to have a chance. It won't happen. Ronaldo is a freak of nature, never gets injured, has the body/fitness of a player much younger, is 35 in a few months and even he is still 12 goals off the record. Kane won't get near it.

If he stays fit (which is a big if) then the current player apart from Ronaldo, likely to get closest to it is Neymar. 61 goals at the age of 27. But with the players Brazil produce it's likely he won't play anywhere near long enough to break it.
  • edited November 2019
    Kanes record is better and could easily beat Ali Daeis record

Kane
    P-290 GS-176
    0.60 GPG

Ronaldo
    P-983 GS-705
    0.71 GPG

Let's see if Kane can overtake Ronaldo in the next 8 years shall we? Kane's record appears better if Ronaldo had always played as a striker, but we all know the majority of his career, he has been dominating games from the wings.

He's only converted to a striker really in his 30's as his pace slowed down a bit. (Still faster than most)
  • Ronaldo since turning 30:

300 goals in 326 games
    That's just mental. As far as stats go that cements him as a legend when your put it into context 
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    Ronaldo since turning 30:

300 goals in 326 games
    I still fail to believe people don't class him as a freak.  He is just unbelievable.

He's maybe not the most likeable chap but he is undeniably one of the all time greats.  We have been so lucky to have him and Messi playing at the same time
    To be fair, he does seem to have a certain arrogance about him but given that he actually really is just that good then it's hard to hold it against him.

He is truly phenomenal. And he's worked both very hard and very smartly to change his game and his role to stay a step ahead of everyone who is not Messi.
  • His appearances total is crazy enough, even without his goal scoring stats

876 club games, 170 for his country. He made his debut for Portugal in 2003 and is still playing for them
  • Ronaldo since turning 30:

300 goals in 326 games
    70 assists aswell. Turned 36 yesterday, so 370 G/A in 6 years. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    People always talk about Messi like he's the best, whilst he is phenomenal he's had the Barcelona side built around him since day one. 

Ronaldo has done it for
    Sporting 
    Man U
    Madrid
    Juventus

When will Messi ever prove himself elsewhere? Ronaldo has had to adjust to different leagues.
    Messi could do it for any of these clubs. I like Ronaldo but Messi is just on another planet. I don't think it takes anything away from him he's been at one club - and at a point arguably the best team in the world
  • Dazzler21 said:
    People always talk about Messi like he's the best, whilst he is phenomenal he's had the Barcelona side built around him since day one. 

Ronaldo has done it for
    Sporting 
    Man U
    Madrid
    Juventus

When will Messi ever prove himself elsewhere? Ronaldo has had to adjust to different leagues.
    And don't forget, almost singlehandedly, winning the Euros for Portugal in 2016.
    Messi always goes missing for Argentina in the big games.    
  • edited February 2021
    Messi is a natural footballer, Ronaldo has had to work for it.