Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holidays 2019

Comments

• edited October 2019

Burnham on Sea caravan for 4 nights in October.

Any charity shop, chav-attracting rundown pubs and poor hygiene cafe recommendations,  grateful for advice...

• Only got couple days leave left so Looking to do a Thursday to Sunday holiday camp in October half term 

due to the unusual days will have to book direct with owners as most parks won’t book those days only Mon-fri or fri-mon 

Thinking one of the Haven camps in Norfolk: Caister, Hopton or Seashore. 

just want as base for going out in day to zoo or pleasure park or pier etc but with decent evening entertainment 

any recommendations?

• i really like Vauxhall at Great Yarmouth
  • Just at the end of a 5 day stay in rural Yunnan, absolutely beautiful, on the downside I'm covered in mozzie bites and there's an outbreak on dengue.....

• i really like Vauxhall at Great Yarmouth
    Yeah have looked into that one previously but don’t think they have private ownership there. 
  • edited October 2019
    Was always adamant I’d never go to Turkey after the Leeds thing and general football tribalism, but conceded and went last week purely due to value for money and weather in the only week I could go away.

Ive been lucky enough to stay in some very nice resorts down the years, but I can easily say the TUI Blue adults only about 10miles outside Marmaris was the most stunning, relaxing resort I’ve ever been to. Set at the foot of a forest and the scenery blew me away. A perfect relaxing week, amazing food, amazing staff, clean, plenty to do, 30 degrees and blue sky and all for £700pp.

Would return in a heartbeat if it were not for the fact that TUI have not renewed the lease which seems bonkers as it’s always full, largely with returning guests and the trip advisor reviews speak volumes.

We did pop into Marmaris very briefly and I concur with the view above, not for me at all, but this resort was paradise.

Few snaps below.
  • Was always adamant I’d never go to Turkey after the Leeds thing and general football tribalism, but conceded and went last week purely due to value for money and weather in the only week I could go away.

Ive been lucky enough to stay in some very nice resorts down the years, but I can easily say the TUI Blue adults only about 10miles outside Marmaris was the most stunning, relaxing resort I’ve ever been to. Set at the foot of a forest and the scenery blew me away. A perfect relaxing week, amazing food, amazing staff, clean, plenty to do, 30 degrees and blue sky and all for £700pp.

Would return in a heartbeat if it were not for the fact that TUI have not renewed the lease which seems bonkers as it’s always full, largely with returning guests and the trip advisor reviews speak volumes.

We did pop into Marmaris very briefly and I concur with the view above, not for me at all, but this resort was paradise.

Few snaps below.
    Went there 5 years ago amazing place. Do they still have that lady doing the free pancakes on the beach? 
  • edited October 2019
    Was always adamant I’d never go to Turkey after the Leeds thing and general football tribalism, but conceded and went last week purely due to value for money and weather in the only week I could go away.

Few snaps below.
    Went there 5 years ago amazing place. Do they still have that lady doing the free pancakes on the beach? 
    They do indeed mate. So impressed by it and gutted it’s changing hands, supposedly to a family resort which seems madness given the layout and location.
  • Turkey and Egypt for me are red flags of danger in terms of my guts. 

The time spent in both was by and large either hanging my arse over porcelain or sweating looking for porcelain to hang my arse over and release torrent after torrent of brown mucky soup. I'd never go back to either, I know people who swear by both but I couldn't care less. 

Croatia, dalmatian coast was a game changer we properly got out and explored the place, the weather was beautiful and the country was stunning. 

Cyprus, paphos in particular is another favourite, costs next to nothing to hire a motor and again the weather is a given most of the year. 

Next year we are eyeing up Thailand or Jamaica of the two I'd rather do Jamaica as Bangkok looks like too much chaos for me however I'd love to take in some of the islands and wildlife 
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnBoyUK said:
    @JohnBoyUK go for a hike in LA...get's you out of the city and up into the hills, where you can look back down and see it all laid out before you... Good workout with a little one strapped to your back.. If you don't fancy that, then Griffith Observatory is quite good for an hour or so (and you can try and remember all the films it's been in) and it also has great views across the city (smog allowing)...  A walk from your friends, all the way thru Venice and up to Santa Monica along the beach will take a while, let the little one sleep in a buggy etc and you'll get to pretend you really could do the yoga and the workouts that everyone is doing along the beach (weather permitting)...I think it's 3rd or 6th St in Santa Monica that is pedestrianised and has all the shops too...  Otherwise, am fairly sure your friends will have some ideas ;-)
    The hiking sounds right up our street tbh with you.  We've already started looking up some walking routes for us to do while we're there.  In the old days, would have taken the running shoes to run along Venice Beach but injury has put paid to that joy now.  Sadly looks like our friends will be working for the majority of the time we are there, so we're going to be at our own devices during the daytime which gives us a load of freedom.

You have seen all worth seeing IMHO John. LA isn't all that once you have done the obvious. Talking to an American friend just yesterday (bought up in California) and he agreed. Frisco and San Diego have a lot more going for them as far as he is concerned. Sure you will have a blast anyway.   
    And you know what, we pretty much thought that the last time we was there too.  LA was the worst part of our entire trip last time round.  Thats why we're desperate to get back to Santa Barbara and San Diego.  Going to check out San Bernadinho and Joshua Tree National Park too.  Didn't see it last time round and will have a giggle trying to recreate the old U2 album cover!
    If you like hiking then maybe look into Malibu canyon road and hikes around there.  Nice countryside near where I spent a summer working 20 odd years ago.
  • Carter said:
    Turkey and Egypt for me are red flags of danger in terms of my guts. 

The time spent in both was by and large either hanging my arse over porcelain or sweating looking for porcelain to hang my arse over and release torrent after torrent of brown mucky soup. I'd never go back to either, I know people who swear by both but I couldn't care less. 

Croatia, dalmatian coast was a game changer we properly got out and explored the place, the weather was beautiful and the country was stunning. 

Cyprus, paphos in particular is another favourite, costs next to nothing to hire a motor and again the weather is a given most of the year. 

Next year we are eyeing up Thailand or Jamaica of the two I'd rather do Jamaica as Bangkok looks like too much chaos for me however I'd love to take in some of the islands and wildlife 
    Just booked to go to Paphos next June to see friends. Booked flights with BA but to book a car together with flights it was only an extra £16.
  • Carter said:

I honestly thought I was dying in Egypt a few years ago. Sent my wife down to the pool and the attendant insisted she called the doctor. He pumped me full of drugs and felt better after a couple of days.

We’d booked the Cairo day trip and I just about made it, although still couldn’t be too far from a toilet though. Got caught short and had the worst toilet experience ever at the pyramids. A metal trailer that not only stank to high heaven, wasn’t the last word in luxury. Luckily I had a few tissues on me as there weren’t any there. 
  • Would never set foot in Egypt again. Stayed at a "5 star" hotel and was in bed for 2 days chucking me guts up and I know many other people that have been to different parts of Egypt and had the same.

Currently repping the addicks in Crete and it's bootiful. Off to find a bar now to watch us nick the 3 points at the cottage.

• MrOneLung said:
    Only got couple days leave left so Looking to do a Thursday to Sunday holiday camp in October half term 

due to the unusual days will have to book direct with owners as most parks won’t book those days only Mon-fri or fri-mon 

Thinking one of the Haven camps in Norfolk: Caister, Hopton or Seashore. 

just want as base for going out in day to zoo or pleasure park or pier etc but with decent evening entertainment 

any recommendations?

Caister camp is good 
  • Carter said:

Bangkok is worth dropping into for a day or two of serious partying, then get down to the Islands, or up into Chiang Mai! As lovely as Thailand is, if you're flying all that way I'd suggest Cambodia, cheaper, nicer people and waaay more relaxed.
  • Looking to go to Thailand early in the New Year. Fly into Bangkok for a couple of days and then head off and see the islands. We were looking at seeing Chang Mai, Crabbe, etc.

Has anyone done this and if so any tips? 
  • i really like Royal Vauxhall Tavern 
    Whatever floats your boat mate. 
  • Looking to go to Thailand early in the New Year. Fly into Bangkok for a couple of days and then head off and see the islands. We were looking at seeing Chang Mai, Crabbe, etc.

Looking to go to Thailand early in the New Year. Fly into Bangkok for a couple of days and then head off and see the islands. We were looking at seeing Chang Mai, Crabbe, etc.

Been to Bangkok, Chang Mai and Ko Sumui in one trip. Whilst in Bangkok would recommend a day trip to "Bridge on the River Kwai". The trip will take you to a cemetary, the bridge and a trip on the death railway. Also recommend a trip on the "Floating Market", where you go on a long
     boat and drift amongst the boats and floats selling goods.

In Chang Mai, recommend a trip to the night market, a trip on a raft down a shallow river, a trip to see some indiginious tribes and a trip on the Mekon River, where you can cross into Laos and buy some duty free goods (some alcohol with dead snakes in the bottles)! This trip takes in the Golden Triangle where Burma (Mymar), Laos and Thailand meet.

Enjoy.

I did this with my mate following university. One of the best things we did was go scuba diving in Koh Tao. My mate really wanted to do it, and I wasn't that fussed. He convinced me and I look back at it as one of my favourite memories in my last 27 years of life.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2019
    Re Egypt,

We went to Hurghada about six years ago and my daughter was 14 at the time. From the moment we set foot in the arrivals area to the moment we left the country two weeks later, she was subjected to wolf whistles, leering and the Egyptian men touching and grabbing her. One of our hotel staff grabbed her by the arm and tried walking her away from us. She was that frightened, we couldn't leave the hotel for our entire stay. Luckily our hotel had a massive water park attached to it so we had plenty to do. Though, even the lifeguards there seemed to be undressing the girls with their eyes.

Never again will we set foot in that country!
  • If it was as bad as you make out,
    I can assure you that I wouldn't have stayed the two weeks.
  • I must be lucky. 
    Done Sharm 6 times 
    Hurgada 4 times. 
    One holiday ruined by having the shits. 
    All the rest were brilliant. 
    Including going out there with a couple who post on here.

Best recommendation regarding the red sea resorts. 
    Don't go cheap. 
    You definitely get what you pay for out there  
  • Having the shits is more likely due to another guests hygiene rather than the hotels.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Having the shits is more likely due to another guests hygiene rather than the hotels.

The doctor who treated me said it was probably a combination of the heat, different spices, the air con and also drinking cold water. Although I'd kept myself hydrated, cold water shocks your system in high temperatures, he advised to always drink it at room temp.
  • I must be lucky. 
    Done Sharm 6 times 
    Hurgada 4 times. 
    One holiday ruined by having the shits. 
    All the rest were brilliant. 
    Including going out there with a couple who post on here.

Best recommendation regarding the red sea resorts. 
    Don't go cheap. 
    You definitely get what you pay for out there  

We had a fantastic holiday (apart from the shits). Did a couple of days snorkelling, trip to Cairo & the pyramids and the evening/night trip out in the desert.
  • Not a holiday as such but going to York at the weekend with another couple any pub or restaurant recommendations 

cheers 
  • Benalmadena tomorrow for the rockabilly weekender... :)

It is a great time to go; hot but not too hot. We spent a few days either end ot the trip in Bangkok, party to ease flight connections and went to Bophut in Ko Samui inbetween. Plenty of others on here much better placed to give advice. Dustin Hoffman has place there, but I only found out after asking him what the dish was he was having for dinner and if it was nice and my other looking at me oddly (even moreso than normal) as bizarely I hadn't realised it was him as focussed on his food!

Other tips: beware of going upstairs in a 'pingpong' bar! and being 'befriended' by anyone being persistent in offering you a service even if you are walking with your partner! Not knowing which toliet you should go in is often not a problem as one covers all variations
  • Just back from a break in Dubai. Stayed at Atlantis for 5 nights. Did the same thing last year. Know some people dont like Dubai but find it perfect for some late sunshine and Atlantis is great for my 2 year old twins with the huge aquarium and water park all free for guests.

Given it was the international break a few footballers were taking a sunshine break there too. I also bricked it when one of my boys started firing his water gun at Justin Tipuric in the pool. If you're going to do that son try not to do it to a brick shithouse international rugby player!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!