Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ginger Baker RIP

Horrible old nasty bastard but what a drummer. 

Comments

• Rock legend but challenging personality! I hadn't realised what an interesting life he'd lead, RIP

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49827436
  • RIP the documentary Beware of Mr Baker is well worth watching
  • Another from my youth...RIP Lewisham lad.
  • His involvement in African music opened the ears of many Europeans to a whole new world of music.
    For that I thank him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't say I warmed to him as an individual but somewhat unique as a drummer. Just Clapton left now from probably one of the most accomplished rock threesome (with the possible exception of the Jimi Hendrx Experience) of all time.

RIP
  • Rock legend but challenging personality! I hadn't realised what an interesting life he'd lead, RIP

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49827436
    What a fascinating story. I strongly recommend a read of that article. I didn't know about the cycling or the polo, indeed despite a liking for the Graham Bond Organisation, I never realised that was him I was listening too. It all makes sense with hindsight though.  After watching the linked Kermode piece, I'm definitely going to watch Beware of Mr Baker the whole thing is on YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=josXy65dQI8

Never were the words Rest In Peace more meaningful than to a man who believed god was punishing him.
  • RIP Ginger
    A contemporary of mine at Shooters Hill GS. 
  • cafc-west said:
    Another from my youth...RIP Lewisham lad.
    Didn't know that RIP Ginger.
  • RIP Peter.

An amazing 80 years on this planet. I can only thin that amongst the myriad of drugs he took, a large quantity could have been formaldehyde.
  • RIP great drummer.
  • RIP.  A strange guy, but so are most drummers 
  • Still think that his drum solo on Wheels of fire is the benchmark for Rock drummers, although he regarded his playing in the style of Jazz. Met his once at a Jack Bruce concert, which I was surprised to see him at, as he had quite a love hate relationship with Jack. I simply love the  Cream days, and the three of them played music that I listen to every week, as a 'group' there playing was, and is unequal to any band playing blues\power\rock. As a disciple of Jimi Hendrix, and Rory Gallagher,  Cream were first and unique, The only drummer that came close to him was Bonzo. He could be an awkward  so and so, and wether that was for the cameras I  have no idea, Sorry to see that he was in poor health, but will remain a legend to me and many others of that late 60's era. 
  • crème de la crème of drummers .. oddball Ginger R I P
  • Sponsored links:

• Another shout out for the Beware....documentary- fascinating viewing. RIP Big Ginger.
  • Fantastic drummer - saw Ginger Baker's Airforce at The Rainbow late seventies. RIP
  • Another legend from my youth gone.
    Ginger is up there with the likes of Bonzo and Moonie as the very best rock has seen.
    He'll already be rucking with Jack!

RIP Peter
  • A huge influence on drumming. I hope he is at peace.
  • RIP to one of our South East London legends.
    I remember in a long ago interview him talking about drumming and rhythm and how it was everywhere, and how he would sometimes be inspired by the rhythms made by London Underground trains he travelled on.
  • RIP Ginger. The greatest of the former pupils of Shooters Hill Grammar school has gone. But we’ve still got Jools Holland, Steve Peregrine Took and Steve White. I’m so proud to have been there. 
  • Unusual for a rock drummer to reach 80.
  • RIP Ginger. The greatest of the former pupils of Shooters Hill Grammar school has gone. But we’ve still got Jools Holland, Steve Peregrine Took and Steve White. I’m so proud to have been there. 
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Steve Peregrine Took departed some years ago.

RIP Ginger, if I’m honest some of his stuff went over my head, but Cream defined Blues Rock for me.
  • He's going to be livid about that. RIP