Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Keith Stroud

apologies for starting a new thread as I’m sure some have commented on the post match / player marks threads, but I wanted to easily finds answers to my post to see if I’m in the minority. 
Now our history with Mr Stroud is well documented and like everyone I was fearing the worst today. However despite many comments on other threads slagging him off, I thought he reffed quite well and was pretty fair to both sides.  First off, at least he didn’t give any red cards!!! Yes Mitrovic walked the line but did he really warrant a red? The challenge on Pearce at the far post was nothing much and the free kick given in injury time was fair considering Pearce man handled Mitrovic. The only criticism I have was the 8 added minutes which seemed a little OTT. 
I wonder if us Charlton fans are judging him with tainted preconceptions 

Comments

• Have seen him on sky a few times recently and does seem to have improved
     Didn't have many complaints about him today apart from the added time which I thought was a little excessive 
  • Possibly Bryan could have gone, but he was better than he usually is with us 
  • He’s a bellend and a shite ref. Today no exception 
  • Bryan possibly could have gone, but the word possibly means it isn't reason to criticise at all. I think Mitrovic on Pearce (when he took his legs away) in the first half was out of frustration and was a booking. So his first booking should have been his second. What annoyed me was that is was done right in front of him. It is true the offside was the fault of his assistant - btw, where do they get these clowns from? It wasn't hard to see!

The 7 minutes was ridiculous. I always have a guess at what is being added on and am usually right (9 times out of 10). I guessed 4 as I didn't see any real time wasting - unlike Swansea on Wednesday night, and to be fair, us on a few previous occasions this season. It felt like he was trying to give them every opportunity to win it.
  • Was OK but should have booked Mitrovic in the 1st half for kicking Pearce off the ball as Pearce was running past him, and it appeared that Stroud saw it. Still his record of 5 Charlton sending offs over 9 now 10 games was not added to and we can be grateful for that.
  • edited October 2019
    Strange he likes sending ours off so much and tries to avoid sending off an opponent playing against us!
  • Better than usual, though it's not hard to be better than god-awful. 
  • Sky put a stat up that in the last nine times he has refereed us there were 5 red cards, didn't catch whether they were all for us. 
  • He’s shit. 
  • Sponsored links:

• The 7 minutes was ridiculous. I always have a guess at what is being added on and am usually right (9 times out of 10). I guessed 4 as I didn't see any real time wasting - unlike Swansea on Wednesday night, and to be fair, us on a few previous occasions this season. It felt like he was trying to give them every opportunity to win it.
    In fact, it was the 99th minute when the final whistle went.

The 7 minutes was shown by the 4th official ..... but of course, that's only guidance to the ref; or is it for the crowd's benefit?

You say the 7 minutes was ridiculous, Muttley ...... but I believe you've overlooked the long delay when Mitrovic went down injured early in the second half? At least 3 minutes on that occasion alone.

Add that to the regulation 30 secs for each sub, (count total 2 minutes for the 4 subs during the 2nd half; but don't count the 2 subs Fulham made at HT) plus other minor stoppages - perhaps 7 mins was about right after all?

There was also a significant injury stoppage during time added on, which evidently caused it to be further extended.

• he is one of these refs where the problem is his interpretation of what he sees, and how he behaves as a result. He is pretty good at spotting infringements. But as soon as he has to make a decision, card or not, that's where it all goes wrong. How could he not see that they were targetting Williams early, and put a stop to it with a card? How can he book Gallagher for that - at all - still less let far worse tackles go uncarded?

As for the 8 minutes...rant alert...

We, the "customers" have no idea how they calculate extra time, nor indeed who makes the decisions. One thing i do know; on the Continent you only see 8 mins very exceptionally, and as a result of a serious injury, or a hold up cos of a flare. 3 mins is typical. How often do you see as little as 3 minutes in an English game? Which is odd, isn't it, since we are supposed to be following FIFA rules, and UEFA guidelines. I keep hearing "30 seconds per substitute". Oh yeah? Where is that written then? Who wrote it? I remember a Euro match within the last season or so which Clattenburg reffed, and I wondered what he'd add on...3 minutes!

Of course, if we'd been behind, we'd have welcomed 8 minutes. My point is, we all need transparency, and it isn't difficult to set up. Make the 4th official, or maybe a dedicated official, responsible for timekeeping, and have their own timepiece wired up to a stadium clock, so if they stop it, we all see it and for how long. Then right on 90 minutes an automatic whistle blows, similar to ice hockey. Refs could then concentrate on the action. Refs like Stroud will resist it, because for them, blowing the final whistle confirms their  Great Importance. Well sod him. He played on until, i think 97.52, certainly way beyond 97.30, and nobody will dissuade me that it was because Fulham were pressing hard and he wanted to see 'what happens".

And we need VAR, urgently. 

• Thought he was like most other refs....average. favoured us 1st half & them.2nd.....perhaps he can only look one way  ?

Agree with the post re "injury time". I thought it was going to be 4 or 5 mins....but 7 !!!  We've not had more than 5 in any game so far this season, and that includes time wasting by Brum. Also bear in mind that Fulham brought on 2 player at the start of the 2nd half so max (if 30 secs for substitutions) would have been 2 mins. A few minor injuries but nothing you would think would give another 5 mins. 
  • Seemed to do a reasonable job to me today and I wasn’t surprised at the 7 minutes as there were several injury stoppages - Mitrovic’s foot, and Pratley’s nosebleed. I was hoping it would be enough time for us to sneak a winner!
  • @Oggy Red

Exactly, you wrote "regulation 30 seconds" . Whose "regulation"? 

And as for extending beyond 7 mins injury time, Bonne was subbed but I don't recall an injury on top of that..but could be wrong, I was dying seven deaths at that time.
  • did ok today
  • Have seen him on sky a few times recently and does seem to have improved
     Didn't have many complaints about him today apart from the added time which I thought was a little excessive 
    For quite a few years now he has been favoured by the EFL for TV matches and it was always noticeable to me in those matches the ridiculous decisions he felt safe to make against us in non TV matches were absent.  He’s still a useless ref though.
  • Ridiculous foul for Williams in the first half. Unnecessary yellow for Gallagher. 7 minutes added time and then another 1/2 minutes on top of that.. from where? I could go on.

Not quite a James Linington (who is the most incompetent referee I’ve ever seen) performance but still way below par.
  • As much as it pains me, I thought he did ok today - harsh yellow for Gallagher aside - until the 7 minute board went up.  Where on earth did that come frome?
  • @Oggy Red

Exactly, you wrote "regulation 30 seconds" . Whose "regulation"? 

And as for extending beyond 7 mins injury time, Bonne was subbed but I don't recall an injury on top of that..but could be wrong, I was dying seven deaths at that time.
    Okay, Prague ......... maybe a better word is 'guidance' to refs to estimate/allow 30 seconds towards time added on.
    It seems to be the rule of thumb applied by refs at all levels throughout football.

It seems to be a 'guidance'. The referee has absolute authority to add whatever additional time he thinks reasonable: he can add as much time as he sees fit if he believes a player or the bench are unreasonably stringing out effecting a substitution.

Also take into account that Assistants and the 4th official are also involved in accounting for time keeping during the game.

The Laws of the Game state:

Law 7: Duration of the Match:

Allowance is made by the referee in each half for all time lost in that half through:
    • substitutions
    • assessment and/or removal of injured players
    • wasting time
    • disciplinary sanctions
    • stoppages for drinks or other medical reasons permitted by competition rules
    • any other cause, including any significant delay to a restart (e.g. goal celebrations)

• Sponsored links:

• Done far better today than he ever has for us. There were of course still some decisions that were ridiculous and bookings or not bookings, plus the outrageous stoppage time.

Other than that, I thought he done okay today.
  • I actually thought the 7 minutes added time was about right. 2 or 3 stoppages for injuries, subs, goal celebrations. Then there was another injury during that time which led to it going over 8.
  • No complaints from me today, thought he did ok.
  • Talal said:
    I actually thought the 7 minutes added time was about right. 2 or 3 stoppages for injuries, subs, goal celebrations. Then there was another injury during that time which led to it going over 8.
    Exactly.

People overlooking the lengthy stoppage when Mitrovic went down injured for about 3 minutes very early in the second half.

That alone was the best part of half the original 7 minutes.
    There was also the Pratley treatment - plus all the other stoppages taken into account.

• Regarding the 7 mins, think that was about right. Normally don’t we moan that refs never add on enough time?
  • edited October 2019
    If somebody wants to defend his 7 minutes by showing how there were 7 minutes lost, they completely miss the point. There are always more than 7 minutes lost in all games. The point is that no refs give all the time lost so why does Mr Stroud try to be different? There was no noticeable time wasting on our part and every game has injuries.
    But in this instance Stroud wasn't trying to be different. Today there were 2 injuries in particular that accounted for a big part of the original 7 minutes added on.

Stroud is not my favourite referee, but today he seemed to apply added time in accordance with the Law 7, Duration of the the Match.

What point have I missed?

• Mitrovik and Bryan were two yellows. Gallagher wasn't even a foul. Useless waste of space.
  • One of the worst referees on the circuit 
  • Amount of injury time was an absolute joke. As was the Gallagher booking. Thought he was decent apart from that. Was quicker to stamp down on efforts to kick Williams out if the game than some other recent refs have been.