Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A mystery surrounding Lyle Taylor’s injury?

edited October 2019 in General Charlton
Apologies for starting a new thread on this topic but have I missed something here?
As far as I know, we haven’t been told how, where and when the injury occurred.
One must assume it happened in training but did the surface he was on contribute to the injury, did he trip, was he fouled or did he fall awkwardly, was it during a training game, was it a reckless tackle done by himself or another team member, did he just turn and fall awkwardly or stub his foot during shooting practice?
There are numerous ways this injury could have happened .......as far as we know (though I agree unlikely), it might not even have been a football/training related injury.
As I say.....maybe I missed something here but everyone I speak to doesn’t seem to know the answer either?

Comments

• Do we ever find out exactly how injuries happen? We know, as it has been confirmed, that LT hurt his knee "while on duty with Montserrat." I'm sure that with the other injuries we have an update from the sick bay will confirm extent, seriousness, and recovery time in due course.
  • edited October 2019
    Well yes and no Pedro45......I am not expecting ‘chapter and verse’ info but just a brief outline of how it occurred.
    We already have the odd snippet of info regarding his progress and the severity of the injury from club sources, which is fair enough and quite the norm.....but as I say, a complete silence from the Montserrat camp or anyone else as to what actually happened and as far as I know nothing from Lyle himself either .........all a bit curious if you ask me?
  • It must be a conspiracy. 

It was the FBI man.
  • https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-lyle-taylor-talks-about-his-charlton-athletic-contract-situation-and-summer-transfer-bids/
    *SEE TODAY’S SOUTH LONDON PRESS FOR AN INTERVIEW WITH TAYLOR ON HIS FUNDRAISING EFFORTS FOR CANCER RESEARCH, HIS KNEE INJURY AND BEING ONE OF THE COUNTRY’S TOP GOALSCORERS SINCE HIS MOVE TO AFC WIMBLEDON IN 2015.
  • edited October 2019
    While we're at it, what's the latest on  Kayal?

Signed him weeks ago. Told he wasn't quite up to speed as had very little pre season. Haven't heard from him since.
  • Sponsored links:

• While we're at it, what's the latest on  Kayal?

Signed him weeks ago. Told he wasn't quite up to speed as had very little pre season. Haven't heard from him since.

But it's the norm for us isn't it? We only sign injured / unfit players and when they eventually play we're often underwhelmed (exception being Taylor) with what we've got. Then as often as not they get injured and are out for lengthy spells. Field for example is getting some serious stick but he's young and shows promise. We're Charlton. Deal with it.
  • clive said:
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-lyle-taylor-talks-about-his-charlton-athletic-contract-situation-and-summer-transfer-bids/
    *SEE TODAY’S SOUTH LONDON PRESS FOR AN INTERVIEW WITH TAYLOR ON HIS FUNDRAISING EFFORTS FOR CANCER RESEARCH, HIS KNEE INJURY AND BEING ONE OF THE COUNTRY’S TOP GOALSCORERS SINCE HIS MOVE TO AFC WIMBLEDON IN 2015.
    Unfortunately the link you post doesn't link to the interview, so presumably it is only in the print paper. Perhaps you, or anyone, could summarise for us, if you have read it.

I'd rather hear it from the club, anyway. Should not be up to a player, not all of them are as eloquent and media friendly as Lyall.
  • Not sure if he's referring to retirement or that he'll potentially only sign one extension with us:

“I will pull the red and white shirt on again for this club and do my very best until the day comes – and it will come eventually in the future – that I don’t pull on that shirt again.”

Either way, he does give hope of staying.
  • “From what I can gather there has been conversations had upstairs,” said the Montserrat international. “If and when the club and my team can come to an agreement, I’ll stay.
    “I will pull the red and white shirt on again for this club and do my very best until the day comes – and it will come eventually in the future – that I don’t pull on that shirt again.”

some good qoutes.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Not sure if he's referring to retirement or that he'll potentially only sign one extension with us:

Either way, he does give hope of staying.
    That day will come in the future, probably in his 50s when he eventually gives up playing for the Veterans!
  • LouisMend said:
    So passed the ball and his knee went; am sure @Sage will be able to confirm but sounds a bit of a freak injury?

Would it have mattered had it been on a 4G or actual grass pitch etc. or is it what it sounds; an unlucky freak incident
  • LouisMend said:
    missing for 'around two months' .. presumably from this weekend .. worrying that there is not a more accurate diagnosis .. hopefully he'll be fit, not match fit though, by Christmas
  • Sponsored links:

• So there we are, thanks to Lyle, as well as @Sage for admirable clarity, which sets to rest many of people's understandable concerns. Just be open, just be straight, not that difficult, is it?
    It’s not difficult and it’s a shame because we went through a period where communication and clarity was there. Now it’s very hush hush and still unclear on some things, Page being the perfect example. 
  • So there we are, thanks to Lyle, as well as @Sage for admirable clarity, which sets to rest many of people's understandable concerns. Just be open, just be straight, not that difficult, is it?
    Agree entirely with you there Prague.....thanks.
    The lengthy silence was a little strange I have to say and may have led some to think that maybe something was being intentionally withheld as to how the injury happened......I readily admit I include myself amongst them.
    Having torn ligaments in both knees skiing, I am very knowledgeable about the injury and the way Lyle explains it is certainly a freakish way to severely tear a ligament, it’s normally done in conjunction with an impact or trauma of some kind, not by the simple act of kicking a football......that being the case, we would see thousands of torn knee ligaments on a daily basis!
    It’s a strange one.
  • Ummmmmmm..... No less suspicious than it was before, is it?
    Having torn ligaments in both knees skiing, 

• Can someone post Lyles comments on the injury?
  • - Passed the ball
    - felt a pop
    - thought nothing of it as no pain
    - it seized up.
  • Sup to you if you believe me or Dazzler, Harvey's mate. But I know which one is more convincing
  • What worried me was his description of hearing it pop. That sounds more like a complete rupture than a tear and could require surgery. 

Admittedly my understanding is very limited after, like @SoundAsa£ completely doing my ligaments skiing including a particularly woeful acl rupture where they had to graft other ligaments in to join the ends together and not sure that’s the same for the side ones