Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Swansea City | Wednesday 3 October | Post-Match Thread

Comments

• I watched the game, but not focused enough to give marks but no one was worse than on Saturday.  2 points from those 2 games would be fair, 3 is very good.

We won't go down, we won't get autos.  Could we get play offs? Maybe but I would still take 4th bottom and 4 points off them. 
  • Looked a bit toothless up front,  but we were playing a very good side. Really impressed with Swansea's workrate, they pressed us superbly 
  • Given how we play without Taylor we need to ensure we keep him for at least the rest of the season.
  • I know Forster-Caskey come on but didn't notice him at all - watched on Sky
    He was playing LB, not midfield, so maybe not where you expected LL? 
    Think Field went to left back.
  • More than held our own first half but let down by poor defending of set piece and giving the ball away too cheaply at times. Lost our shape in second half. 

But they are now top and we were nearly a match for them without our talisman so no complaints. 

Long way back for JFC, mind you. Mathews looked useful but positioning sometimes wayward - not as solid as Solly.
  • Hard fought win against Leeds, then playing a very good side on Wednesday night. Lads put a shift in and we can't ask for much more.

Still a great season so far.
    I watched on sky, didn't notice JFC do anything, at all, good or bad. 
  • Deserved a point tonight. For all their quick passing Swans were not as good as Leeds off the ball and their goals were due to errors on our part, not their brilliance.

Well played Charlton, keep on going lads. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Not having a go, but it would be really interesting to have some stats for this season for our home games for shots on target towards The Covered End (usually the second half). Today all i recall is possibly 2 headers, one being easily saved by their goalie, that we might as well as headed from the half way line and the other which looped in from Lockyer and was off the line in the huffing and puffing towards the end
    TBH, i dont recall any from either Brentford or Leeds, obviously we had at least 2 from Stoke, and i didnt see the Brum game.
    I bet its not a pretty average.
  • I thought we were poor. Gave the ball away so many times in midfield, lost almost every 50/50 and looked completely devoid of ideas up top. We looked tired and hopefully that’s what it was.

3 point return from Leeds and Swansea is great, let’s hopefully we can nick something at Fulham. 
  • Have we got enough in the tank left to get a result at Fulham?
  • Who is going to play LB at Fulham?
  • ross1 said:
    Who is going to play LB at Fulham?
    Dust your boots off ross1  ;)
  • Watched on the box and agree with most of what's been written so far. Can't recall their keeper making a save and we struggled to get bodies forwards in the second half. But they looked a good side and first half we more than matched them in all areas bar creating chances with Gallagher particularly prominent.
  • Oh well. Narrow loss against probably the second best team in the division. Not a disaster by any stretch. We will lose a good few games this season, we just need to pepper those losses with wins here and there and we'll be well clear of the relegation zone. And in the end, given given our current funding that's all that matters.
    This. Says all that needs to be said.

Very impressed with Swansea. Will be near the top of the table without doubt. 
  • Not having a go, but it would be really interesting to have some stats for this season for our home games for shots on target towards The Covered End (usually the second half). Today all i recall is possibly 2 headers, one being easily saved by their goalie, that we might as well as headed from the half way line and the other which looped in from Lockyer and was off the line in the huffing and puffing towards the end
    TBH, i dont recall any from either Brentford or Leeds, obviously we had at least 2 from Stoke, and i didnt see the Brum game.
    I bet its not a pretty average.
    Not a related stat but interestingly the Sky commentator was saying that when we have the majority of possession we generally lose, and minority we win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bonne looks well out of his depth. But we knew that.
  • edited October 2019
    If Purrington doesn't recover it'll be from defenders (and yes including Solly maybe with Mattherws switching sides) that never played tonight and or Field @ross1
    Think Field went to left back.
     Maybe 3-5-2, with Jake as wide left of the five when attacking and Field left of the 3 in the defence? 
  • ross1 said:
    Who is going to play LB at Fulham?

Maybe Naby. Keep Pearce and Lockyer and if Solly is not fit enough I would start with Oshi
  • Swansea were very good but we looked tired. Cullen was well below his best as was Gallagher. I am not faulting either for effort though. Up front we just lack class but we just need to muck through until Taylor is back. Happy to have 17 points in the bag already.