Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Swansea City | Wednesday 3 October | Post-Match Thread

edited October 2019 in General Charlton
Great start, but we lacked a consistent attacking edge and, in the end, we weren't able to pull out an equaliser. Bad defending at a set piece cost us.

Over to you.

Comments

• We huffed and we puffed but ultimately we had very little up front to affect the score . Players look tired . 
    Oztumer was poor as was Leko . 
    Swansea looked really good on the ball and deserved the win .
  • Watched on tv. Strong finish, but overall Swansea better than us. Much slicker in possession. No criticism of the players, who looked like they worked hard. 
  • Lacking that bit of flair and creativity in the final third.

• edited October 2019
    From replays of their winning goal it looks as if Ayew attacks the ball in between Bonne and Gallagher to score.
  • Cant be overly down about the result. Played a good side and we cant keep getting results when we haven't been on top. Practically every club in this division has a stronger squad than us.

Defending for both goals was poor and we were very weak up front. Shame we didnt go for it a bit until the last few minutes. 

Gallagher our best player by a country mile.

Another very tough game on Saturday and I'd be delighted to get a point from it.
  • edited October 2019
    Disappointing, but I thought Swansea were the better team in the second half. Bonne did well, but he is not a Taylor. Gallagher my MOM. I enjoyed the first half, but as I do not see them live very often I was still pleased the way Charlton play. Watching this game makes me confident we will do well in this league, especially when Taylor is fit. Pleased to see this on Sky red button, but commentary was poor
  • Sponsored links:

• Oh for Lyle Taylor up top
  • One shot on target if I’m not mistaken, from which we actually scored.
    Matched them all over the pitch, apart from the final third where we were virtually non existent.
  • Watched on the telly. Beaten by a clinical side. We battled but we lacked a bit of quality. Plenty of positive to be taken. Need some luck on the injury front with Kayal, Hemed and Taylor coming back. 
  • One shot on target if I’m not mistaken, from which we actually scored.
    Matched them all over the pitch, apart from the final third where we were virtually non existent.
    According to BBC, 8 shots, three on target
  • Would have brought Pratley on for Field who hasn't impressed me so far.  Oztumer doesn't seem to suit the style of football we play . Worked hard , great to see Pearce staying up front   just lacked that extra bit of quality .
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:
    One shot on target if I’m not mistaken, from which we actually scored.
    According to BBC, 8 shots, three on target
    Really?
  • Leko needs to stop holding the ball up and passing to an opposition player. Missing Taylor big time. Overall a draw would've been a fair result.
  • I wouldn’t go crazy about tonight, Swansea are a good team, they stopped us creating many (any?) goalscoring chances for 88 minutes and we just couldn’t find a way to force this issue. 

Other teams will lose worse to Swansea than we did tonight and a point on Saturday means this mini run of very tough games will yield better than expected results. 
  • Talal said:
    Would have brought Pratley on for Field who hasn't impressed me so far.  Oztumer doesn't seem to suit the style of football we play . Worked hard , great to see Pearce staying up front   just lacked that extra bit of quality .
    Thought Field played pretty well myself. 
    He did ok but I think I prefer Pratley also but he can’t play every game . 
  • I think we played well enough against a team that may well go up automatically. Big weakness is players up front all three not clever enough on the ball, really miss Taylor.
  • edited October 2019
    We didn't do enough to win, but I think largely matched a decent side and draw would've been fair. Lacked quality in the final third, failing to turn a number of promising situations into sights on goal. Probably trying a bit too hard at times - forcing things when patience was needed, two players going for the same ball and getting in each other's way etc. Could've done with having more pace and width on the bench to bring on and try and stretch them, we were a bit too narrow and easily stifled tonight. Looked like a mid-table side, which we probably are so no real shame in that. Levels dropped a little bit below optimum again and we lost again - looks like we might not draw many this season, we're a bit one thing or the other right now.

Hope Purrington isn't too badly injured, echoes of Page last season.

• I know Forster-Caskey come on but didn't notice him at all - watched on Sky