Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Life of Brian BBC debate took place 40 years ago today!

edited September 2019 in Not Sports Related
Hosted by Tim Rice with guests John Cleese, Michael Palin, devout catholic Malcolm Muggeridge and The Archbishop of Southwark Mervyn Stockwood.
It’s available on Youtube in it’s entirety (I don’t know how to do links),.
This debate is fantastic stuff and was huge news back in the day.....I recommend those interested in either Monty Python....The Life of Brian, religious debate and social attitudes towards the film back in the day to view.
Considered by many to be one of the most important debates on British satirical religious matters of the 20th century.
Both cutting and humours with Cambridge educated Cleese and Palin in fine form.
IMHO.....well worth a view.

Comments

• This one, SoundAs?

Life Of Brian 1979 Debate - complete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYMpObbt2rs

• Wow, amazing stuff. I don't remember seeing it at the time, I was probably a couple of years too young to care that much. Imagine a debate like that on telly today! It show's just how far we've come, but that was the era of Whitehouse and Gillick (I dread to think what they'd make of today's tv). Despite how they tried to belittle the Life of Brian as a film, I can't help but think it must have contributed to the change in the zeitgeist - which is exactly what Muggeridge and the Bishop were so scared of. And what horrible, pompous, small-minded men they were: I’d very much like to know where you get your evidence… I would urge you not to make these careless generalisation which are not dependent on evidence…what your saying, if I may say so, is a great load of sheer rubbish…. generalisation which is unworthy of an educated man”! This from a man who'd come to defend his invisible friend.
  • I believe that Muggeridge & The Archbishop were late for their (private ?) screening & missed the first 20 mins or so......which meant they missed the bit where the 3 Wise men realise their mistake & that Brian was definitely NOT Jesus.
  • edited September 2019
    As Terry Jones explained quite clearly in the film - “ He’s not The Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!”
     :) 
  • Had to have a smirk to myself as Tim opens with "Paul Jones of the Blues Band" as I've just bought tickets for their 40th Anniversary tour in Hull on November 8th.

I hope he uses the loo before he gets on stage!
  • Remember watching the programme as a 17 year old and fuming about how the establishment were totally incapable of having a sense of humour and self deprecation.

One of the funniest films of all time.
  • I believe that Muggeridge & The Archbishop were late for their (private ?) screening & missed the first 20 mins or so......which meant they missed the bit where the 3 Wise men realise their mistake & that Brian was definitely NOT Jesus.
    Not true.

Muggeridge talks about the opening scene of the Sermon on the Mount.
  • That Archbishop is incredibly pompous. A sign of the times then I suppose.
  • Stig said:
    Wow, amazing stuff. I don't remember seeing it at the time, I was probably a couple of years too young to care that much. Imagine a debate like that on telly today! It show's just how far we've come, but that was the era of Whitehouse and Gillick (I dread to think what they'd make of today's tv). Despite how they tried to belittle the Life of Brian as a film, I can't help but think it must have contributed to the change in the zeitgeist - which is exactly what Muggeridge and the Bishop were so scared of. And what horrible, pompous, small-minded men they were: “I’d very much like to know where you get your evidence… I would urge you not to make these careless generalisation which are not dependent on evidence…what your saying, if I may say so, is a great load of sheer rubbish…. generalisation which is unworthy of an educated man”! This from a man who'd come to defend his invisible friend.
    Having watched the debate my takeaway was how personally disrespectful and rude MM and the Bishop were, and conversely how respectful JC and MP were in response 

These were days where by dint of your office or just the fact you represented Christianity you expected respect and lack of challenge

As a Christian myself im , on balance , glad those days are gone 
  • Sponsored links:

• Muggeridge making a mug of himself. Clues in the name.

All time comedy classic.  I go to church most Sundays and i fucking love that film.