Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tom Lawrence and Mason Bennett: Derby County stars charged with drink-driving

Comments

• I don't get it, only one of them could have been driving or are neither of them owning up and so they both get done?
  • edited September 2019
    Irresponsible pr*cks.

Collided with each other just before midnight last night. Luckily for them no one was killed.

What on earth are 2 players doing out drinking at nearly midnight for when surely they have training this morning? Add the driving and the crash into it and there has to be grounds for Derby to sack them both.

Hope Derby get rid.
  • I don't get it, only one of them could have been driving or are neither of them owning up and so they both get done?
    They were racing each other and collided.
  • Irresponsible pr*cks.

Collided with each other just before midnight last night. Luckily for them no one was killed.

What on earth are 2 players doing out drinking at nearly midnight for when surely they have training this morning? Add the driving and the crash into it and there has to be grounds for Derby to sack them both.

Hope Derby get rid.
    Maybe they don't train on Wednesday (ref the Conor Gallagher thread)

Not excusing their behaviour obviously
  • Lawrence cost Derby £5m a couple of seasons ago. He is a winger/forward who, at the age of 25, has no less than 43 yellows and one red to his name - and after just 7 appearances this season landed a suspension for reaching 5 bookings.

Sounds like he needs a decent kick up the backside both for what he's done both on the pitch as well as off it!
  • the way they have played this season ? .. seems they are permanently pissed and keep falling over (bit unfair to Lawrence though) ((:>)
  • Irresponsible pr*cks.

Hope Derby get rid.
    Maybe they don't train on Wednesday (ref the Conor Gallagher thread)

Not excusing their behaviour obviously
    Yes you're right, it seems they don't train on Wednesdays and had permission to go out. Cocu is probably regretting it now though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Derby club statement:

As a club, we cannot, and do not, condone the actions of a small group of players on Tuesday evening.

The players were out as part of a scheduled team-building dinner with staff and while the majority of them acted responsibly and left at around 8pm and were not involved, a small group, including the team captain Richard Keogh, continued drinking into the night. They should have known when to stop and also ignored the opportunity to be driven home using cars laid on by the club, and chose to stay out.

As a result of an alcohol-related incident, Richard Keogh has sustained a serious knee injury that will prevent him from playing until the end of the season.

The players involved in the incident on Tuesday evening will be subject to a rigorous internal investigation under the club’s code of conduct and disciplinary procedures, but over and above any punishment they receive we will be expecting them to become involved with the excellent work the Community Trust does helping the communities we serve.

We have been very clear about our attitude towards alcohol and the players know that at certain and specific times of the season they are permitted a drink together as a group in a controlled environment.

Those involved in Tuesday’s incident know they will pay a heavy price for their actions, but also that we will support them with their rehabilitation back into the squad and team.

We fully support the work of our partners at Drinkaware and the unsanctioned actions of this small group of players is totally at odds the stance that both Drinkaware and Derby County Football Club take regards alcohol. We will be using this situation to redouble our efforts in highlighting the dangers posed by alcohol.

We would also like to thank the emergency services for their swift help.

• edited September 2019
    A shame we don't play Derby until after Christmas
  • edited October 2019

i severely hope they never play football again or when they next do someone 2 foots them resulting in a leg break in multiple places. 

if charlton players i would never want them wearing the shirt again. 

bit over the top from some but when a 18 year old bloke gets killed by a drink driver who i knew it warrants this reaction i think. 

also i see keogh is out for the season - i presume he was in the car, surely as club captain you have got to be smarter than that, likely the end of his career at derby as now 33. 
  • A shame we don't play Derby until after Christmas
    19th October at the Valley
  • off subject but just saw a derby bexley flag at the rugby wc - wtf is that about 
  • off subject but just saw a derby bexley flag at the rugby wc - wtf is that about 
    Bexley Rams flag I believe? Often seen at England cricket too but got no idea about it.
  • Clearly other players involved as well who haven't been named. The statement refers to a 'small group' who carried on.

Reports online that Keogh was actually in the back of one of the cars.

So if Lawrence was driving one car and Bennett driving the other, you'd assume there were other players with them, otherwise why would Keogh not just sit in one of the passenger seats?
    Bexley Rams flag I believe? Often seen at England cricket too but got no idea about it.
    Yea, he's a big Barmy Army fan, and been around England games for 25 years or so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cars laid on by the club and they choose to ignore it. Also paying for a taxi would be another option.  Clubs give players flexibility but still choose the wrong options, must be stupid. Players like this should be sacked or made to attend one year alcoholics anonymous course and if they fail then sack them.
  • cabbles said:
    Derby club statement:

As a club, we cannot, and do not, condone the actions of a small group of players on Tuesday evening.

The players were out as part of a scheduled team-building dinner with staff and while the majority of them acted responsibly and left at around 8pm and were not involved, a small group, including the team captain Richard Keogh, continued drinking into the night. They should have known when to stop and also ignored the opportunity to be driven home using cars laid on by the club, and chose to stay out.

As a result of an alcohol-related incident, Richard Keogh has sustained a serious knee injury that will prevent him from playing until the end of the season.

The players involved in the incident on Tuesday evening will be subject to a rigorous internal investigation under the club’s code of conduct and disciplinary procedures, but over and above any punishment they receive we will be expecting them to become involved with the excellent work the Community Trust does helping the communities we serve.

We have been very clear about our attitude towards alcohol and the players know that at certain and specific times of the season they are permitted a drink together as a group in a controlled environment.

Those involved in Tuesday’s incident know they will pay a heavy price for their actions, but also that we will support them with their rehabilitation back into the squad and team.

We fully support the work of our partners at Drinkaware and the unsanctioned actions of this small group of players is totally at odds the stance that both Drinkaware and Derby County Football Club take regards alcohol. We will be using this situation to redouble our efforts in highlighting the dangers posed by alcohol.

With things like this, football clubs are in a really shit position.  Compare this to the real world, where such an incident could result in you losing your job, for football clubs, it's not that simple.  Their loss would be someone else's gain.  They have to face discipline, and I'd be minded to fine them all their wages, as they're now being paid for their own negligence (Keogh), but that would be flouting numerous employment laws and it will never happen.

It's ridiculous.  How much is Keogh on?  I bet it's at least £10,000 a week.  Imagine any one of us going to our employer and saying, got in a car last night with my colleague/mate, he was smashed and over the limit, I've been involved in accident, can't work for a year now, but can you still pay me.

I would like to think there is some provision in his contract for reduced wages as a result of his stupidity 
    i would imagine that the clubs lawyers will be going through their contracts to see if their is a breach of contract.
  • Thinking back to the Tony Adams case, there must be a strong chance of a custodial sentence for the 2 players, as to have such a massive smash, they would have been driving recklessly as well. Indeed, you can imagine they were racing or pissing about in their "footballer SUVs"
  • cabbles said:
    Derby club statement:

With things like this, football clubs are in a really shit position.  Compare this to the real world, where such an incident could result in you losing your job, for football clubs, it's not that simple.  Their loss would be someone else's gain.  They have to face discipline, and I'd be minded to fine them all their wages, as they're now being paid for their own negligence (Keogh), but that would be flouting numerous employment laws and it will never happen.

It's ridiculous.  How much is Keogh on?  I bet it's at least £10,000 a week.  Imagine any one of us going to our employer and saying, got in a car last night with my colleague/mate, he was smashed and over the limit, I've been involved in accident, can't work for a year now, but can you still pay me.

I would like to think there is some provision in his contract for reduced wages as a result of his stupidity 
    i would imagine that the clubs lawyers will be going through their contracts to see if their is a breach of contract.
    But then as Cabbles says; Tom Lawrence cost Derby £7m when they signed him from Leicester - I cant see them being eager to cancel his contract as they wont see a penny of it in return and it may be a decision that they'd financially regret later down the line
  • cabbles said:
    Derby club statement:

But then as Cabbles says; Tom Lawrence cost Derby £7m when they signed him from Leicester - I cant see them being eager to cancel his contract as they wont see a penny of it in return and it may be a decision that they'd financially regret later down the line
    i don't think players can just get sacked and sign for another club without a fee being involved even if the can, £5m two years ago, depending on how much he's getting paid and how Cocu views him they might be happy to cut their losses.

• Cocu might not be there much longer himself.