Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Haka

Does it make anyone else cringe with embarrassment, or is it just me?

Comments

• I don't mind the Morris Dancers tbh, they are what they are and not pretending to a monster in a spikey shape
  • Doesn't make me cringe, necessarily - but for me it is an irrelevance that is given far too much attention. 
  • Does it make anyone else cringe with embarrassment, or is it just me?
    racist 
  • I didn't know it was anything to do with the indigenous people. I thought the rugger chaps made it up in the changing rooms. I take it all back, it's wonderful
  • PaddyP17 said:
    It's absolutely brilliant in my opinion. A wonderful gauntlet to throw down, and a respectful nod to/celebration of the indigenous people of New Zealand.
    Done by the indigenous warriors of New Zealand it is superb. Add a majority of white Doctors/ Bankers etc and it looks stupid. 
  • It's so hard to know what is and isn't cultural appropriation these days.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2019
    It's so hard to know what is and isn't cultural appropriation these days.
    I was always told that poking my tongue out was rude and that if the wind changed when I was pulling faces, I'd get stuck like it. 
  • Cringe??? Like you to say that to a New Zealander.

Adds to the atmosphere of any All Blacks match, even if it does perhaps allow them to gain a psychological edge over opponents who are supposed to just stand still and watch (although some teams have ignored the protocols much to the amusement of their supporters). It is wonderful to watch live. Good also to see the other forms of Haka from the South Pacific Island teams.

If there was an instance of it becoming a little over the top, it was during the last Lions tour when every opposing team gave a Haka. The tourists were looking a little bored by all the ritual long before the third test.   

• I'd happily say it to a New Zealander 
  • If I was an opponent I would just turn my back on it. It's supposed to intimidatary......cant intimidate if you dont take any notice of it. 
  • I love Maori culture. 

I do think it's a bit unfair they get to psyche out the opposition before every game. 

Cringe? Certainly not. I enjoy the haka every time. 
  • I didn't know it was anything to do with the indigenous people. I thought the rugger chaps made it up in the changing rooms. I take it all back, it's wonderful
    .. not sure if you're joking.
  • Chunes said:
    I love Maori culture. 

I do think it's a bit unfair they get to psyche out the opposition before every game. 

Cringe? Certainly not. I enjoy the haka every time. 
    Maybe we should get a couple of ladies from the Millers doing a dance in front of them in retaliation going forward!!
    .. not sure if you're joking.
    🤷‍♂️
  • More interesting than rugger.
  • Sponsored links:

• Whale Rider is a great film that takes place within Maori culture, if anyone's interested. The 12-year-old lead actress was nominated for an Oscar. Trailer.
  • Do the kiwis perform the Hakka before playing international football (soccer) or is it only associated with rugby?
  • Ive always thought, why not start the game while they are doing their stupid dance, and go and score a try.
  • More interesting than rugger.
    I think rugger, is great, and playing the sport is a great nod towards our cultural heritage. If only we could bring it home
  • When Fiji plays NZ, do they do the Haka and Cibi at the same time or one after the other like a dance off?

• If I was an opponent I would just turn my back on it. It's supposed to intimidatary......cant intimidate if you dont take any notice of it. 
    It's also a means of determining which of their opponents are brave, respectful warriors and which are trembling cowards.  Turning your back on it would help make that decision far easier. 
  • Chizz said:
    If I was an opponent I would just turn my back on it. It's supposed to intimidatary......cant intimidate if you dont take any notice of it. 
    It's also a means of determining which of their opponents are brave, respectful warriors and which are trembling cowards.  Turning your back on it would help make that decision far easier. 
    Yeah i reckon the 6ft 9' unit with mangy ears and no teeth is a right tart.
  • When Fiji plays NZ, do they do the Haka and Cibi at the same time or one after the other like a dance off?

imagine if when playing America if after the HAKA the yanks threw down the cardboard
  • Solidgone said:
    Do the kiwis perform the Hakka before playing international football (soccer) or is it only associated with rugby?
    Can you imagine what the crowd would think if they did it at football ? - they would get slaughtered.

imagine if when playing America if after the HAKA the yanks threw down the cardboard
    Cha Cha Slide
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!